Need a new mattress and becoming quickly bewildered (Austin, TX)

Hi zab,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m happy to assist you and provide some advice. While I can’t help with “what” to choose, I certainly can assist with the “how” part of things.

The first thing I would recommend is to “reset” how you are looking at mattresses and immediately stop relying upon reviews. While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here), and should not be used as any sort of a reliable indicator about the quality or appropriateness of a mattress for your specific needs.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, durability and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

As part of your mattress research, I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. If you can’t find out this information, I would consider that a risky purchase and would recommend looking elsewhere.

For those that have a more restricted budget then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well. Some of these companies are members here of the site (listed in post #21 here) who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of options included in the choices there (some quite affordable) and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Posts #1 and #2 in this topic also includes more information about the new "breed’ of “simplified choice” mattresses (aka “one choice fits all” or “universal comfort” or “bed in a box” or “disruptor” or “millennial” mattresses) that are available online as well that are typically in a budget range of between $600 and $1000 (queen size).

Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent ( see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around San Antonio and Austin is in post #2 here.

I don’t doubt that this is the case if your limited experience has been with less expensive innerspring mattresses using little and lower quality foams.

All memory foam will tend to be more difficult to reposition when sleeping, and one that is more “medium-firm” would be a memory foam mattress with less overall memory foam in the comfort layers, as all memory foam is quite plush and not very resilient.

The Nectar uses a 1" of 4 lb gel memory foam, a 3-inch 3.5 lb memory foam with a medical grade cooling and finally a 2.2 lb polyfoam core. They don’t list the thickness of the polyfoam core, or the thickness of the quilted gel memory foam panel or the density of that material. The polyfoam core uses a good density foam, but I would use some caution with the 3" of 3.5 lb. memory foam on top of the core, as that is a bit lower than I would normally recommend. They are a product assembled in the USA of components sourced from China and the US. They do not specific what is from where. I would caution against purchasing this item before knowing the complete specifications and component origins. I can’t speak to what you’re referencing with the “false marketing” comment.

I would be more cautious with Amerisleep, as they tend to use some lower quality materials than what I would normally suggest in the durability guidelines. Amerisleep, along with Astrabeds and Simplyrest, is part of onemallgroup, which specializes in viral marketing in partnership with Kim Tyrone Agapito.

You can use the search feature of the forum to pull up more information about the brands you listed, or you can read through the simplified choice thread here for a consolidated place of information about many of the one-size-fits-all mattresses, including the Leesa and Tuft and Needle.

Not at all, unless you give up researching and use reviews as your guidance. And as you are PhD candidate, I’m guessing doing a bit of reading and learning is right up your alley. :wink: You shouldn’t have a problem finding something using better density foams that will last you the shorter time frame you need.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the helpful response! I’ve since dug deeper into the research. But I could use some additional guidance to make sure I’m on the right track.

I forgot to mention that my price range is for a full size mattress. I’m also trying to completely avoid latex (long story…), which narrows down the options quite a bit.

First step. I made a list of the online options that meet my initial criteria. I then put together a spreadsheet with as much information on these options as I could find on this site or elsewhere.

Next step. I made a list of local stores. It looks like I have the following options in my area:

• [b]Urban Mattress[\b]. Just a couple minutes away from my apartment. Most of the mattresses seem to combine innerspring support with foam comfort layers.

• [b][Denver Mattress/b]. I’ve already visited this place twice. I did not like their memory foam option - it felt too firm. I did like their Madison Plush. Most of the remaining options are more expensive, so I didn’t try them.

• [li]Austin Natural Mattresses. Also nearby. They have some memory foam options.

Sleepworld is no longer located in Austin. The founder also died, so I don’t know if this has affected the quality. I wonder if I should just avoid this company.

So here’s the plan. I’ll check out the local stores and gather specs on the mattresses that feel comfortable to me. I’ll then add those specs to my spreadsheet. At that point, I will come up with a set of value criteria to help narrow the list down. Whether I’ve tried the mattress and price will likely be key factors.

With respect to the online options, [b]none[\b] of them have over 1.8 lb support foam. So, in terms of durability with respect to my BMI, my options are somewhat limited.

If I were to go with an online option, I think I’m leaning toward the Best Mattress Ever or the Novosbed.

The Novosbed has 5.0 lb memory foam, which seems rare among the online options. However, it is on the pricier side, and the trial period is restrictive. I’m also worried that the mattress will have that memory foam “feel” that I don’t like.

By contrast, the Best Mattress Ever uses two layers of latex-like foam at 4.0 lb each. Those specs seem good. I also wonder if the latex-like foam will help produce the feel I’m looking for. Otherwise, it’s a tough choice between these two options. The Best Mattress Ever is, however, considerably cheaper.

Any input on my decision-making process would be much appreciated! Am I missing anything important?

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the helpful response! I’ve since dug deeper into the research. But I could use some additional guidance to make sure I’m on the right track.

I forgot to mention that my price range is for a full size mattress. I’m also trying to completely avoid latex (long story…), which narrows down the options quite a bit.

First step. I made a list of the online options that meet my initial criteria. I then put together a spreadsheet with as much information on these options as I could find on this site or elsewhere.

Next step. I made a list of local stores. It looks like I have the following options in my area:

• Urban Mattress. Just a couple minutes away from my apartment. Most of the mattresses seem to combine innerspring support with foam comfort layers.
  • Denver Mattress. I’ve already visited this place twice. I did not like their memory foam option - it felt too firm. I did like their Madison Plush. Most of the remaining options are more expensive, so I didn’t try them.
  • Austin Natural Mattresses. Also nearby. They have some memory foam options.
    [li] Mattrezzzguys. Though it looks like this store only carries name brands.

Sleepworld is no longer located in Austin. The founder also died, so I don’t know if this has affected the quality. I wonder if I should just avoid this company.

So here’s the plan. I’ll check out the local stores and gather specs on the mattresses that feel comfortable to me. I’ll then add those specs to my spreadsheet. At that point, I will come up with a set of value criteria to help narrow the list down. Whether I’ve tried the mattress and price will likely be key factors.

With respect to the online options, none of them have over 1.8 lb foam in the bottom support layer. So, in terms of durability with respect to my BMI, my options are somewhat limited.

If I were to go with an online option, I think I’m leaning toward the Best Mattress Ever or the Novosbed.

The Novosbed has 5.0 lb memory foam, which seems rare among the online options. It’s also 11" thick (most of the options are 10"), which might be a bonus given my BMI. However, it is on the pricier side, and the trial period is restrictive. I’m also worried that the mattress will have that memory foam “feel” that I don’t like.

By contrast, the Best Mattress Ever uses two layers of latex-like foam at 4.0 lb each. Those specs seem good. I also wonder if the latex-like foam will help produce the feel I’m looking for. Otherwise, it’s a tough choice between these two options. The Best Mattress Ever is, however, considerably cheaper. That could be a tiebreaker.

Otherwise, the Casper seems to be ruled out given the 1.5 lb foam in the bottom support layer. (Though SLTD reports that the layer is 1.8 lb. I will need to confirm.) I’m also seriously concerned that the Tuft & Needle will feel too firm to me - and the Best Mattress Ever appears to have better specs, which is probably enough to rule Tuft & Needle out. The Zotto and PerformaSleep are worth considering, but if I were to go with a memory foam mattress, the Novosbed seems to have the better specs, so it would be a choice between specs vs. price. The Dreams Supreme and Bear Mattress have comparable specs to the Best Mattress Ever, so perhaps I should consider them more carefully.

Any input on my decision-making process would be much appreciated! Am I missing anything important?

I also have three clarificatory questions.

1. The demand for higher density in the comfort layer is more important for memory foam than polyfoam (given that the latter is more durable than the former) - is that correct? So, in other words, for my BMI, 4.0 lb would probably be okay with respect to, say, TitanFlex foam, but less so with respect to memory foam. Is that right?

2. Is there any significance to the relation of the thickness of a layer to its density? For example, if two mattresses are otherwise equal, but one has a 5.0 lb top layer of 3" thickness whereas the other has a 5.0 lb top layer of 4" thickness, does that matter? I ask, because many of these mattresses have different total numbers of layers and the thicknesses are often different. This makes it somewhat confusing to compare them in terms of durability.

3. A number of these mattresses claim to be “cooler” than competitors (“breathable foam,” “graphite gel,” etc.). How seriously should I take these claims, and how can I assess them? I do tend to run hot, so if I have reason to believe that one mattress will be cooler than another, that will help me make a decision. The fact that memory foam traps heat might also count against options like the Novosbed.

Hi zab,

Yes, I mentioned in my description that you’d have to travel to Houston to look at their mattresses, which might take them out of the running for you.

I’m not sure what online options you’ve looked at, but there are plenty using 2 lb or higher density in the polyfoam core. Take a look at the simplified choice thread here for a few examples. Also, for your application, it’s not as if a 1.8 lb or even 1.5 lb polyfoam core of a higher ILD couldn’t work for the time frame you specified. The guidelines are just that – not absolutes. Just realize with lower density foams that durability can be shorter.

Those certainly could be good choices for your application and they both use good quality materials. I would be sure to phone either company and explain your needs and situation before making any final purchase decision to receive their recommendation of what they think will work best for you.

The medium version does feature a total of 4" of 5 lb memory foam, which would be a good quality material. I’m not sure what you mean by the trial period being “restrictive” – it is 120 nights. They offer a Comfort+ kit to help with customization after 30 days and you can return after 60 days. Any sleep trial longer than 30 nights should give you enough time to know if you prefer any mattress. And being a mattress with 4" of memory foam in the upper layers, this product certainly will have a “memory foam” feel to it.

Yes, the TitanFlex polyfoam is a very high-density foam that is supposed to have some good resilience to it, akin to latex, but of course not the same as latex. It will be a more “buoyant” feel than the Novosbed.

It’s 1.5 lb polyfoam for the core. I confirmed this in January with Casper.

Unless you are extremely knowledgeable about mattresses and their construction (which would be very few individuals), I’d avoid attempting to predict via a few specifications how a mattress might feel to you. You may be better off trying products locally to see if you have an affinity for a certain type of componentry and then attempt to find other mattresses using similar componentry to keep you in the same “range” of product. If you think you don’t like memory foam, then I would avoid products using that in the upper comfort layers.

In my opinion I’m worried you’re starting down the “rabbit hole” of mattress analysis paralysis :slight_smile: . I’d suggest going out and trying out some mattresses locally.

Both memory foam and polyfoam can be quite durable – one isn’t necessarily more durable than the other. The densities I recommend were listed in the durability guidelines I linked for you in my previous reply. A polyfoam above 1.8 lb would generally be quite durable. The 4 lb high-performance polyfoam used in the BME would be a very high quality material. With memory foam I would generally recommend 4 lb or above.

Good question. The density is actually quite simple – it is the mass per unit volume of a cubic foot of the foam. In the USA, we express it in pounds per cubic foot. The thickness of the piece of slit foam that is used within a mattress does not change the density that is expressed for that foam.

Regarding cooling memory foam claims, you can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here. In general terms gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

Thermally conductive materials such as graphite would be a little more effective than the gel that is more commonly used but it would also depend on the amount of graphite that was in the memory foam.

In very general terms … gel and/or other thermal conductive or phase change materials can have “some effect” on the sleeping temperature of a particular material but how much of an effect they will have and how long the effect will last will depend on the specific formulation of the material and on the “combined effect” of all the other materials and components of the sleeping system including your sheets, mattress protector, and bedding. Many thermal conductive or phase change materials tend to have a more temporary effect when you first go to sleep at night or over the first part of the night than they will over the entire course of the night.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

Phoenix

I looked through the list a few times, and I didn’t see any non-latex mattresses with >2.0 lb density in the support layer. What am I missing?

I know I can’t know for sure without just trying the Novosbed. However, I did try a ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 404 | Denver Mattress
memory foam mattress at Denver Mattress, and I didn’t find it comfortable at all. I don’t know quite how to describe it. But I like being able to roll into new positions, and on that mattress, I felt like I was rolling across very firm quicksand or something. It also had no bounce, which I think added to the feeling of firmness.

Does that sound like a general feature of memory foam? If so, I wonder if it is reasonable to infer that the Novosbed will feel broadly similar - in which case, it sounds like the Best Mattress Ever is the better choice.

I did like the initial feel of the Madison Plush, but I’m not sure if I’d describe it as “buoyant.” (I’m just somewhat reluctant to consider the Madison Plush since it uses innersprings.)

I was wondering whether the thickness can play a role in durability in combination with the density. For example, all else being equal, are 4" and 3" layers of foam at 4.0 lb density equal with respect to durability, since they have the same densities?

Thanks for the all the other info! I’ll look into it.

Hi zab,

If you’re not interested in mattresses using latex, you missed Addable and Purple. Of course, that list is not complete for all simplified choice online mattresses available. Post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress, and many have cores 2 lb or above.

Yes, memory foam is not resilient and is more difficult to reposition on. You’ve mentioned before that you don’ like this feeling, which is why I’m curious that you aren’t looking at something using latex.

This mattress doesn’t use latex, nor does it use foam similar to the TitanFlex (which I described as more “buoyant”) so I wouldn’t expect it to have such a feel of being “buoyant”. I’m not sure why you would have an aversion to an innerspring unit, as that particular model did use quite a bit of polyfoam between yourself and the springs (so you shouldn’t feel the pressure points of the springs as you described previously), but if you decide to go that route then don’t test any models with springs on the inside to narrow down your focus.

There are many factors involved in form durability, which I cover in more detail here. I would have no concern between a total of 3" or 4" of a 4 lb polyfoam in general.

Phoenix

This world of mattresses is confusing. At first I was interested in Sealy’s Hybrid Copper Plush.Then I tried Lady Americana’s Elite, and Temperpedic’s Cloud. Then I tried Eco-Comfort and like it best. After reading your article I started calling the local manufactures. The custom local manufacturer has been in business in OKC for 26 years.
I am 60 yr. old female, who sleeps on her side, weighs 135 lbs., with neck and lower back issues and gets warm at night . I would like an opinion on Eco-Comfort Rainier Soft for $1,599.95, CertiPur from Mathis Bros or a custom 6" talay latex foam, 3 in gel infused memory foam and a cotton organic bed protector for $1450, made here locally by Quality Bedding Company. The memory foam needs to be replaced in about 7 yrs. I will be buying an adjustable bed frame as well, I’ve heard Leggett & Platt?? He quoted $1599 w/ massage, laptop plugin was extra. please help, I’m tired of looking. This is a bad attitude for such an important decision, I now know more than the sales people I’ve met and Mattress Firm would not let me take pictures and seemed annoyed with my request for specs.

It appears that Addable no longer has any full size mattresses in stock on their website. I’m going to email them to double check.

I’ve heard bad things about Purple having to do with a powder they use - but maybe I shouldn’t be worried by those rumors; I just checked and Purple is CertiPur certified.

Long story short, my mom has a bad latex allergy, so she’s paranoid to be in the same space as latex. I recognize that the latex used in mattresses is unlikely to incite an allergic reaction. But I probably won’t be able to persuade her of that. So, in order to make visits easier, I’m better off just avoiding latex for the time being.

Given my BMI, what do you think would be more durable - the Best Mattress Ever with 4.0 lb foam in the comfort layers but 1.8 lb foam in the support layer, or the Madison Plush with the 1.8 lb foam in the comfort layers but innersprings in the support layer?

Thanks again for all the other information. I’m going to test some mattresses this weekend.

Hi zab,

Funny coincidence, I just had a member contact me about this and apparently they’re waiting on fabric from the mill and it could be 2-4 weeks, and right now they are out of stock of the full and queen covers.

You can see some of my comments about the polyethylene coating used over the buckling column gel here, as well as comments about it from purple here, including links to studies they’ve commissioned about this polyethylene co-polymer which they say show it to be “safe”.

I don’t see any reason that either product wouldn’t work well for your specific application.

Phoenix

Update - I visited my local Urban Mattress today. The salesperson was very helpful. He showed me three mattresses broadly within my price range and was helpful in explaining the differences between them.

I tried the Ravenswood ($700), the Highland ($900), and the Reverence ($900).

The first two utilize pocketed coils in the support core. The only difference between them is that the Ravenswood has two 1" layers of 1.8 lb. quilt foam, while the Highland uses 2.1 lb foam. By contrast, the Reverence consists of a 6″ layer of 2.5 lb. 28 ILD foam core, one 2″ layer of 1.8 lb. 24 ILD foam, and two 1.5″ layers of 2.1 lb. foam.

The salesperson also told me that the warranty is not voided by failing to use a boxspring, which is good, because I don’t want one. The shipping is also free, and they’ll take your old mattress for free as well. Plus, if you don’t like the mattress within so many days, they’ll pick it up free of charge for an exchange. It sounds like the return policy is similar.

None of these felt more or less comfortable than the others - they all just feel different. For example, the Ravenswood is fairly soft, while the Highland feels firm at first, but less noticeably firm the longer you lay on it. The Reverence is very similar in feel to the Highland, only it has less edge support and is less bouncy. I think I prefer the innerspring options to the Reverence.

But between the Ravenswood and the Highland, it’s very tough. I’m not sure one feels more comfortable than the other - they just feel very different. I think I might find the Ravenswood slightly more comfortable. It’s also $200 cheaper. I also worry that while the Highland feels relatively comfortable now, if I lose any weight (a goal I plan to realize within a year), it’ll feel too firm - whereas it seems unlikely that the Ravenswood will feel too soft over time.

The main disadvantage of the Ravenswood is that it uses 1.8 lb foam in the comfort layer, unlike the Highland, which uses 2.1 lb. So, I’m somewhat conflicted over this.

I’ll try the other stores in my area before I make a decision, but right now, I’m leaning toward the Ravenswood. It’s a reasonable price, it feels comfortable, I’ll be able to get rid of my old mattress for free (bonus points), and I can always return it if I don’t like it after sleeping on it for a month.

Hi zab,

Thanks for the update. I’m happy that you were able to take some time and try out a few mattresses in person.

Both mattresses use good quality and durable materiasl, and for the time frame you’ve specified for the product, I think you’re choosing between “good” and “good”. One thing to keep in mind is that all foams will soften a bit over time. This doesn’t mean that the Highland will eventually be as soft as the Ravenswood is now, but they will gradually become more plush moving forward. I don’t know the difference in the ILDs of the foam in each bed, but even if you had that number it really wouldn’t be as important as your own personal testing. It is true that the Highland has more dense foam on top, but for what you’re looking to do I certainly wouldn’t discount the Ravenswood. And I would choose the mattress for what feels best to you in the present. While you are working on losing weight in the future, I advise people to pick something that works well for you right now.

I’m happy that you’ve already been able to find some good quality products, all of which should work well for your application. :cheer:

Phoenix

Now I’m even more confused! I checked out Austin Natural Mattress this weekend, and I really liked their The Townes. Very comfortable, and doesn’t really have that memory foam “feel” that I’m trying to avoid - it’s soft and has relatively good responsiveness.

The salesperson quoted me $1099 as a sale price for a full size, but I think this might be a mistake, because the website lists the full size at $799 on sale. If that is right, then this mattress is in my price range. Otherwise, I can probably rule it out.

I’ll inquire about the price Monday afternoon, but if the mattress is $799, then I’m really conflicted. I like all three - again, they just have different feels. I think I might find The Townes to be the most comfortable - but, again, it’s really hard to tell. Having said that, I do prefer the edge support and more bouncy feel of the innerspring options. Austin Natural Mattress also has a much more restrictive return policy - returns are not permitted, and while you can make an exchange within 30 days, you have to pay shipping. I think they might also charge shipping on top of the price of the mattress - I’ll have to ask.

Do you have any advice about testing the mattresses themselves? I feel like how a mattress feels to me when I lay on it in the store probably differs from how it will feel to me when I sleep on it at home. So, I’m wondering if there is more I can do in terms of testing to help make a decision.

P.S. Tried a latex mattress just for the heck of it. Definitely see what you mean about the “buoyancy” feel - and pretty sure I don’t like it.

Hi zab,

I would make sure that you find out the complete specifications of this mattress, as there is 3" of a “transition foam” and 3" of a base foam where the information is incomplete on their web site. Also, I usually recommend a maximum of around 4" of memory foam layers, and this one uses almost 5", so it is a little over what I would normally advise.

$1099 is the current price for the queen – it’s possible they made a mistake in the size they quoted you.

Your own personal testing is your best guidance. You’ve sated all the items have different feels, so only you can determine which “feel” you prefer best.

These are all important things to consider as part of your personal value equation. Make a Pro/Con list for each item on a legal pad for each item to make it simple.

Yes, in the mattress shopping tutorial steps I’ve linked to previously, and this article here.

I’m glad you were able to try this personally, as that is a better way to determine versus any descriptors or specifications.

Phoenix

Can you please remind me as to why that is?

Yeah, that’s what I suspect.

Hi zab,

Generally, I advise about 4" or so of memory foam together as approaching a maximum thickness, as that allows for quite a bit of conformation and is usually around the maximum that most people would need between the differences in dimensions (shoulders to torso to waist to hips). I speak a little more about this here.

There is no such thing as “supportive” memory foam. While it’s true that some will hold up more weight than others or are “relatively firmer” … none of them are supportive enough to be used in the support layers of a mattress. When talking about memory foam … words like “supportive” really mean degrees of softness. Memory foam is a pressure relieving comfort material not a support material. The support layers underneath the memory foam are the supportive part of the mattress.

Here’s another article about the steps for selecting a mattress that you might find useful.

Phoenix

Long story short, I got sick of being stuck in “analysis paralysis” and decided to go with the Ravenswood.

I was not very impressed with the customer support at Austin Natural Mattress. I called one of the locations to ask about the densities of the transition and base foams, and the person on phone responded by telling me the ILDs. When I again requested the densities, I was told that foam density doesn’t affect “comfort.” Okay. I know that. But that’s not an answer to my question! I later visited the nearby location and asked another salesperson for the densities. He also didn’t know because he’s not the “manager” and had “only” been working there for several months.

More importantly, though, I decided that it is time for a change. I’ve been sleeping on foam mattresses for the last 6 years without ever doing a proper comparison. Having done the comparison, I prefer the edge support and overall feel of the Ravenswood and Highland.

My experience at Urban Mattress was also phenomenal. Before making my purchase, I was lucky to notice that they were hosting a Yelp Elite “slumber party” event. I got to meet the owner and received a $70 pillow for free (plus a coupon for another free pillow upon purchasing a mattress). I also told the owner that I was planning to buy a mattress later that week and asked if he could help me out with a discount. He said he could do 10% off plus throw in some free sheets.

The choice between the Ravenswood and the Highland, however, was a tough one! I ultimately went with the Ravenswood. I reasoned that since these were floor models, brand new mattresses might feel slightly firmer. And the Highland in the store already felt slightly firm to me. So, while the foam might break in over time, there’s no guarantee that it will feel any different than the mattress I tested in the store. I could be wrong about that, but it made sense at the time, haha.

The Ravenswood was also cheaper. Plus, I have a trial period, so if the mattress feels too soft to me over time, I can always exchange it for the Highland. And if the mattress feels great over time, then I saved myself some money.

The total came to $681.98 for the mattress. They threw in another free pillow. (They wouldn’t let me use the coupon for both the sheets and the pillow, so I chose the pillow.) They’ll also remove my old mattress upon delivery. The mattress should arrive Tuesday.

Thanks again for all the help. Now I have to figure out which bed frame and mattress protector to get…

Hi zab,

Thanks for your update.

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

To be fair to the salespeople you encountered, if you were inquiring about latex, this is most commonly referenced by ILDs and not densities, especially Talalay. If it was for memory foam or polyfoam, if the salespeople didn’t know that information (sometimes it isn’t provided to them) hopefully that is information that they would have been able to find out and get back to you about.

I’m glad you had a nice experience there.

That is logical. Most stores will mention that your new mattress will feel slightly firmer than the floor model because of the “breaking-in” that the floor model has already experienced.

There’s some good information about mattress protectors in post #89 here and this post.

Phoenix

I was requesting the densities for the transition and base foams used in a specific (memory foam) mattress. Perhaps the manager at the one location would have been able to provide me with the information.

I like that Urban Mattress has this information readily available on their website so that I don’t have to ask in the first place.

[quote]
There’s some good information about mattress protectors in post #89 here and this post.
Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Hi zab,

Thanks for the further clarification. Yes, it would be nice to have that information readily available for those polyfoams, or at least have someone acquire it for you in a timely manner. It’s definitely information you’d need to make an informed decision.

I hope the information there gets you a good start on your search.

Phoenix