Need a recipe to clone Tempurpedic Cloud/ Cirrus Luxe. Expert advice needed

I just spent hours reading about foam mattresses (again). After almost purchasing the Tempurpedic Cloud a few years ago we put together our own for around $600 using the spa sensation as a base + a memory foam topper, … New house = larger bed. We both like the Cloud and Luxe with the soft top. I would like to make my own mattress from scratch with the high/best quality components.

Hopefully Pheonix can chime in let me know exactly what and where to buy what I need including a box spring.

Hi reflexbug,

I would make sure you’ve read post #15 here before trying a DIY mattress just to make sure that you have realistic expectations and are comfortable with the trial and error that may be involved in finding a combination of layers that match what you are looking for. I would also read post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another.

For reference … to the best of my knowledge the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe uses the following layers …

Tempur Cloud Luxe (OLD):

Quilt
Stretch Knit Cotton with Suede Sides
FR Sock

Comfort Layers
2.75" 4.1LB Tempur ES Comfort Layer
2" 7.1 LB Tempur HD Support Layer

Support System
Dual Airflow System
4" 2.2 LB Convoluted Base Foam
4" 2.2 LB Convoluted Base Foam

Tempur Cloud Luxe (NEW):

Quilt
Easy Refresh Stretch Knit Cover
Smart Climate System, moisture-wicking,
Cool to the touch

Comfort Layers
3.5" Tempur-ES 4.1 LB
2" Tempur HD 7.1 LB

Support System
Dual Airflow System
4" Airflow Base Layer 2.0 LB
4" Airflow Base Layer 2.0 LB

It’s also possible that the base foam is lower density than these specs indicate (1.5 lbs).

This would give you a reference point but I would also keep in mind that each manufacturer makes their own version of memory foam so one type of memory foam may feel and perform differently from another even if the density and thickness is the same (see post #9 here and post #8 here) so a mattress that had an identical design in terms of foam densities and layer thickness may still feel very different from each other depending on the firmness and other properties of the foams you use.

Some of the better sources for DIY materials and components I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

So would the core be talalay or dunlop? There is just too much information on materials. I am still unsure of what and where to purchase everything.

Hi reflexbug,

The support core in all of the Tempurpedic mattresses (except their airbed) is polyfoam. They don’t use latex (either Dunlop or Talalay) in any of their current mattresses.

If you are considering an online purchase of a “finished” memory foam mattress then the tutorial post includes a link to some of the better online memory foam retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of and many of these have a mattress that uses the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe as a reference point and would be well worth talking to on the phone.

If you are committed to a DIY mattress then the DIY post I linked in my last reply includes the better sources I’m aware of for the polyfoam, memory foam, and covers you will need but it may take some trial and error to find the combination of materials that feel similar for you to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (assuming of course that you have done some careful and objective testing on the Cloud Luxe and you are confident that it’s your “perfect” mattress in terms of PPP).

The foundation post here also has more information and a list of sources for foundations or platform beds that would be suitable for a memory foam mattress (a box spring would generally be more suitable for an innerspring mattress not a memory foam mattress which will do best with a rigid non flexing support system).

Phoenix

Thanks for that response. Looking at the cost of materials for quality foam, the Cirrus Luxe and Purecool Luxe pricing is looking like a better option even if it cost a little more, at least you get a trial and warranty.

What do you think a ballpark price would be to build the above with the same quality materials? Looking at the polyfoam alone is around $700-900, the gel foam toppers are about $400 or so, from what I have found. Does that seem accurate?

Hi reflexbug,

I’ve never priced it out so I really don’t know but off the top of my head your prices seem to be very high for 8" of HD polyfoam (or two 4" layers) in a similar density (although the price would depend on the type and density of polyfoam and the supplier you choose to buy from). The memory foam would be more costly than the polyfoam and if you were using a layer of 7 - 8 lb memory foam to “match” the Tempurpedic then this would be the most expensive layer of all although it will be difficult to find as an individual layer.

Phoenix