Need a storage-friendly bed frame for a pocketed coil mattress

Thanks to this website and the help of Phoenix, I recently bought the Ravenswood through Urban Mattress. So far, I’m loving it! I notice a huge difference in the quality of my sleep, and I’m no longer experiencing back pain or discomfort. Only problem - it’s currently plopped on my floor.

My previous bed frame was the following Zinus on Amazon. I liked the storage space underneath, how easy it is to set up, and that it’s convenient to fold up and transport during a move. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that it can be squeaky on hardwood floors. In addition, my 8" foam mattress seemed to sink into the gaps - and a few of the wires broke under pressure. I recently disposed of it.

Now I’m looking for something similar but of a higher quality. I want a no-frills bed frame that can be used without a box spring and that has about 14" of space underneath for storage. I’m hoping to spend under $150-200.

After searching the forums, I found a lot of threads on bed frames. A number of the threads include discussions of the “wire” style bed frames, like the Zinus I had before. But I didn’t see many recommendations for higher quality alternatives - with perhaps one exception.

Many of the threads also concerned latex/foam mattresses. But I couldn’t seem to find much information on bed frames for pocketed coil mattresses. Can anyone recommend some options that will fit my particular needs?

Hi zab,

Congratulations on your new mattress from Urban Mattress! :cheer:

Metal bed platform beds are becoming more and more numerous in the industry, and as you’re already aware not the main focus here of the site.

My first suggestion would be for you to contact Urban Mattress and find out their recommendations for gaps between the metal slats / wire grids of any product you’re considering. There is a wide range of recommendations I’m finding from retailers these days. I would also ask if they have any specific suggestions of metal platform beds that perform well with their products.

If you do find a metal platform bed that you like but you’re worried about the wire grid network being inadequate, you may consider placing a coir bed rug over it (although this would increase your price point).

There may be other more informed members here on the forum who have experience with a similar foundation who can share their experiences with you as well.

Phoenix

I’m now deciding between the following three options:

In addition, I can add extra support by purchasing two vinyl lattices.

Which of the three options would you recommend?

The Malouf and Space Saver seem very similar. However, the black Malouf would match my furniture better. (For some reason, the glideaway website has it in black, but I can’t find this available anywhere for purchase.) Are there other reasons for preferring the Space Saver that I’m missing?

Finally, on the forums, I’ve seen mention of fabric covers for wire bed frames like the two linked above, but I can’t seem to find these online. Where can these be purchased? Is there any point in using one of these in conjunction with the vinyl lattices?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Zab.

The products you selected are fairly similar in that they are “commodity” products in the lower budget range that are almost all made in China. While I do not have personal experience with either of them … I’d say that Malouf is a slightly sturdier than the GlideAway and generally, I’d suggest to make your final selection based on your personal value equation and what is important to you (which of course is different for different people) which is why I never recommend a product over the other unless there are major flaws or “weak links” that I can point out. In very general terms some factors I’d consider in comparing these models are:

[indent]
• Warranty
• Ability/Cost to return/exchange if your choice does not turn out as well as you hoped for
• Total weight (will reflect the amount of metal)
• Height from the floor (for storage consideration)
• Weight capacity
• Center support and number of feet
• Accept head/footboard?
• Aesthetics/color
• Price[/indent]

I agree that they are very similar but now GlideAway has gone to a black (only) color design. Luma Sleep one of the Trusted Members and Experts on our site carries it at a very good price. I noticed that their site still shows it in bronze but you may want to call them or contact them through their Expert area here to make sure that you get the black version.

While the vinyl lattice on top of the frame will certainly help increase the load bearing surface area and minimize the “cheese slicer” effect of the wire network “pushing into” the foam base over time, I’d make sure to either place a non-skid material between the frame and the lattice or … to attach it securely to the metal frame to prevent it from sliding on the metal surface. As far as the cover goes. I’d consider a bed skirt in your budget range … a quick search on google or amazon should pull out quite a few options such as this or this. … maybe some other members of the site who read your post can offer a good suggestion. When choosing the skirt I’d keep in mind that sometimes a fitted “skirt” can bunch up because of the way the legs work/attach on these frames.

I hope this helps
Phoenix

Thanks for the helpful response. One more follow up…

What leads you to say that the Malouf is slightly studier? I was actually leaning toward the Malouf, but then I contacted Luma Sleep to inquire about the number of wires on the frame. The person I contacted told me that the Queen size version has 11 wires on each side (22 total). From what I can tell from the Amazon pictures, the Malouf has only 7 on each side. Wouldn’t that add to the sturdiness of the GlideAway (over the Malouf)?

You’re right about the color - I confirmed with them that it now comes in black.

Hi Zab.

You are welcome! :slight_smile:
It has ticker bars in the center section, but it is also true that the number of wires will also add to it.

Phoenix

I was going to take a chance on the GlideAway, but then Luma Sleep informed me that it is not currently available in black for the Full size version. So, I’m going to go with the Malouf instead. I’ll update this thread once I receive it.

Hi zab.

Yes I’d be very interested how Malouf works out for you. I am sure that many visitors will find your comments helpful.

I look forward to your future updates.

Phoenix

$150-200 may be a little low for a “high quality” bed frame. Check Ikea? They have many frames with storage for a bit higher price than that (for Queen).

If you’re willing to consider a wooden frame, check out the Nomad Plus platform frame from KD Frames (recently priced at $244 in Queen). Slats are spaced at 2.8 inches. Rolling drawers may be available for additional cost.