Need advice on a topper

Hey friends!

I recently purchased a mattress from Original Mattress Factory. It was a great experience! We went with the Orthopedic Extra firm → Mattresses and Box Springs | The Original Mattress Factory.

Some background:

I am 5’10, 215 back sleeper. My wife is 5’1, 110 side sleeper. We both love firm support and like the feeling of sleeping on top of a mattress rather than in a mattress. We bought the mattress about a month ago and its much better than our last one, however my wife is waking up with pain on her hips and my back is a little stiff in the morning. I wanted to give us enough time for the mattress to break-in and our bodies to adjust. We are now looking to purchase a topper to add a layer of softness and alleviate pain in her hip and my stiff back in the morning. WE both toss and turn throughout the night.

My question comes down to softness and size of the topper. We settled on dunlop topper. I have called a manufacture and they suggested 2inch at the soft(20ild) level, they mention that the medium(30ild) would be too firm and it still cause my wife pain in her hip. We came from a very soft comfort layer mattress so we are a little scared of it being too soft. Any suggestions?

Hi azngeek,

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress and it’s still in good condition (which would be no problem with your mattress because it’s new) then a good quality topper can be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice for any specific person on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper that also includes a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I would agree that a firmer topper would likely be too firm for your wife and it sounds like you are getting some good advice.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!!

Because we are uncertain of which to go with would you suggest trying the soft first and if it doesn’t work out, the medium? Or go medium first and then go soft if it doesn’t work out. I only ask because I am not sure what would be easier to our bodies to adjust. The return period is 30days so I want to get the most out of our time.

Would you suggest a cover? WE have a mattress cover. I am assuming the pad would go in between the mattress cover and the top sheet? Thanks for all the info!!

Hi azngeek,

I would follow their suggestion which I also agreed with in my last reply.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s generally a good idea for a latex topper to have a suitable dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect it with handling.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: primelineindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Chemical-Compatibility-Chart.pdf

A mattress protector or mattress pad that is used to protect your mattress would generally go over the topper and then your sheet would go over that.

Phoenix