Need advice on Dorm XL Twin topper

Thanks to this forum, we have purchased two different mattresses. One - 2 years ago was for our son. He has sleeping issues and we purchased him an Ultimate Dreams Full sized #6 from Brooklyn bedding.
He is a side sleeper and is now 6’2" and 175 lbs. He is attending college this fall, and I am afraid that the dorm mattress will affect his sleep.
Should we purchase a 2" or 3" latex topper? The dorm mattress is 7.5 inches. What do you think on the firmness based upon his height and weight.

Thank you for your input.

Hi rbrooks,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use specs (either your son’s or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” to choose a mattress or a topper for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) without some specific reference points based on personal experience that can be used as a guideline but the good news is that if your son is already sleeping well on his Ultimate Dreams then that would be the perfect reference point and it would make a lot of sense to order a topper in the same thickness and firmness as the latex comfort layer in his mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have contacted several vendors to ask for their opinion.
One concern is that this topper will be moved several times over the next few years.
Karl at Sleep on Latex suggested a 20 ILD Dunlop instead of the 28 ILD of Taladay that he is currently sleeping on due to the fact that the dunlop is sturdier during moves and less likely to tear (even in a cover). This would be in a 3" topper.

What are your thoughts of a 20 ILD Dunlop? Karl will switch anything out if we need him to within 30 days.

Hi rbrooks,

Dunlop will also tear fairly easily if you pull or tug at it but if you take reasonable care when you move it and don’t “grab” or pull at the latex I don’t think either one should be an issue.

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is really a preference issue. There is more about how they compare in post #7 here.

My suggestion about the Talalay is mainly because it’s what he’s already used to so if you choose a Dunlop topper I would confirm that they also have Talalay available and will exchange the topper for another one just in case he prefers it. Your Ultimate Dreams also has a polyfoam quilting layer that would act to soften the feel of the latex slightly so it may also be worth considering an ILD that is one step softer (24 ILD) to “compensate” for the quilting layer to some degree. The materials and design of the bed underneath a topper will also affect how it feels so this is a variable that you won’t be able to predict until he actually sleeps on the combination but with a topper that is similar to your Ultimate Dreams it should be reasonably close.

Phoenix