Need advice on memory foam mattress I'm considering

This is from a local furniture store recommended by this website. Thank you!

Item & Dimensions
Manufacturer Enso Sleep Systems
Mattress Size Queen
Category
Mattress Type Eco-Friendly
Mattress Type Memory Foam
No Flip Yes
Composition
Comfort Layers 2" 4 lb. PureGel Infused Memory Foam, 2" Quick Recovery Convoluted Foam (QRC), 2" 3-4 lb. Tri-Tech Memory Foam
Top Tencel Polyester Knit Removable Cover with Non-Skid Dust Cover
Construction
Mattress Construction Foams used in this mattress are Certipur-us certified for meeting or exceeding voluntary standards for content, emissions and durability.
Coils and Support 6" HD Polyurethane Base Foam
Edge Support Foam Encased Edge Support provides a 10% greater sleep surface.
Foundation/Box Spring 9" Mattress Foundation
Warranty

Hi car8857,

Enso is one of many brands that are made by Zinus which is a Chinese manufacturer that makes mattresses that tend to use lower to medium quality/density foams in their mattresses. You can read a little more about them in post #2 here.

I would also make sure that you read post #6 here about the additional risk and uncertainty involved with purchasing any mattress that is shipped compressed from China.

The specs for the mattress that you listed are also incomplete so there is more information that you would need to make an informed choice (see this article). Listed from top to bottom …

2" 4 lb. PureGel Infused Memory Foam: This is a medium density memory foam which would be fine.
2" Quick Recovery Convoluted Foam (QRC): I would want to know the type and density of this layer and the convoluting would also reduce its durability so I would want to make sure this was a high quality material.
2" 3-4 lb. Tri-Tech Memory Foam: When you are given a density range then I would assume it was the lower density which is this case would be 3 lb which is a lower quality material than I would be comfortable with. Since it’s deeper in the mattress underneath other layers it would add to its durability but I would generally tend to avoid 3 lb memory foam in the upper layers of a mattress unless you are in such a low budget range that there are no other options available.
6" HD Polyurethane Base Foam: I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam in the support core although it will have less effect on the durability and useful life of a mattress.

These layers add up to 12" so if the mattress is 12" thick then you know you have all the layers.

I would be very cautious here because this would already be a somewhat risky choice with 2" of 3 lb memory foam and an additional 2" of convoluted foam (of unknown type or density) in a Chinese manufactured mattress and I would want to confirm the missing specs to make sure there are no additional lower quality materials in the mattress before I considered it and even then I would make some careful comparisons to other mattresses that use higher quality materials.

Phoenix

Thank you!!! Oh my God, I am so confused. I have needed a new mattress for a couple years and am so overwhelmed with choices and specs I just throw my hands up and never buy anything.

Hi car8857,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses but it will come down to testing for suitability (PPP), checking for durability (making sure you know the quality of the materials inside any mattress you are seriously considering), and then comparing your finalists for “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post one at a time then you will have the best possible chance of success.

One of the most effective “shortcuts” that can help cut through much of the confusion when you are buying a mattress is to focus on finding and dealing with knowledgeable and experienced retailers and/or manufacturers that have your best interests at heart (and aren’t just interested in selling you anything that they can convince you to buy). These are the ones that already know what you would otherwise need to learn and understand the importance of choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you and knowing what is inside any mattress that you are considering. They can provide you with the type of information and guidance that can help you make the best possible choice. Who you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks. I have a list of retailers in my area that you suggested to someone else. The mattress I was considering was in one of their ads. I’ll have to visit a few showrooms and talk to the owners…

Hi car8857,

Most of the lists on the forum are “possibilities” and would be a good starting point that can help you avoid many of the worst options but it’s always important to make sure that they are knowledgeable and transparent and will provide you with the information you need about what inside the mattresses they carry.

I would call and talk to the ones you plan to visit first to confirm that they will provide you with the information listed here. The ones who understand what you are talking about and who confirm that they are both willing, able, and happy to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice are the ones that are most worth taking the time to visit.

I would spend at least as much time (preferably on the phone before you go there) deciding on which retailers or manufacturers that you wish to deal with and plan to visit as I would on choosing a mattress itself.

Phoenix