Need advice pairing a frame with hotel bedding / putting the box spring issue to rest.

Hi there forum!

I work at a hotel and one of our perks is that we get ridiculous deals on the mattresses we use. This year, my wife and I wish to take advantage of that deal, which will net us a Queen Size Simmons BeautyRest III signature pillow top mattress. We will be taking the bed for a spin at the hotel before we pull the trigger, but with the price we get it’s almost a no brainer. We like our bed a little firmer and will test out the “luxury plush” mattress which has a coil gauge of 14 3/4, as opposed to the regular plush of 15 1/2 gauge for Simmons. The mattress will be made to order with all of the quality expected of a great hotel bed.

However, the conundrum I have is based on the issue of the foundation (box spring). My wife and I need a frame with storage drawers under the bed and most of these bed frames are platform bed frames. So will we actually need a box spring, or will the platform frame and slats be enough? Also, if we do in fact need the box spring, will a platform style frame be able to support the weight of the box spring, mattress, and us?

Thanks so much, in advance

Adrian

Hi Be.moody,

I’m not so sure that I would include a Simmons hotel mattress (or any major brand mattress) in the “great quality” or even “good quality” category and I would tend to avoid them (see the guidelines here). Almost all of them use lower quality materials in the comfort layers which would be a weak link in the mattress. There is more about hotel beds in post #3 here and there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make better quality/value choices.

There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here but a one sided mattress like yours will generally do best with a solid non flexing or semi flex support system (which could be either a foundation on a suitable bedframe or a platform bed) rather than a box spring which has actual springs inside it and is designed to provide more flex under the mattress.

Phoenix

Wow,

IM NOT WORTHY! I’m not worthy!

I ran into a real rookie trap. Although, under $500 for the mattress at this stage in our newlywed life is hard to turn down, I will look at alternative brands. Any recommended posts?

Ps the info you’ve orovided so far has been incredibly educational.

Hi Be.moody,

Unfortunately it’s easy to do with the lack of information about mattresses and mattress materials that is generally available to consumers.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Rock on!

Thanks again, specially for the expediency of your replies! You are the master.

I’m not sure how much help it’ll be as I’m in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.I did find one link on the form here, so that should probably get me started. But again if you know when he committee many factors that you can recommend off the top of your head, I’d be all ears.

Also, I’m a little bit confused about the difference between a “foundation” and “boxspring”. It seems like some people use this interchangeably – I take it they’re doing it erroneously?

Hi Be.moody,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #1 here.

You’re right that many people use them interchangeably (and incorrectly) but a box spring has actual springs inside it that flex and are most commonly used with two sided innerspring mattresses or with thinner mattresses that need some additional “give” underneath them. A foundation doesn’t have any springs and is designed to provide a much firmer support surface with either very limited or no flex.

Phoenix