Need advise making decision between 2 manufacturers

We purchased a Temperpedic a couple of weeks ago, and hate it. I have a bad back and it offers no support. So, back to the drawing board, and I am heavily researching spring mattresses and read through this website.

I have our choices narrowed down to 2 spring mattresses, The Original Mattress Factory and Grand Legacy, both are made locally here in Cleveland. Original Mattress Factory answers all of my questions about the comfort layer, specific densities of foams, etc. Grand Legacy hasn’t answered my questions, yet. I’ve talked to the sales rep at the furniture store. She’s emailed the rep at Grand Legacy, and he’s waiting for “office” to reply back to him. It’s been about a week now, and I’m still waiting to hear back answers to my specific questions. Do I continue to wait, or just buy the Original Mattress Factory mattress? The have about a $1000 price difference, but that’s ok, because my husband and I both have bad backs and we’re willing to pay the extra cost, only if its worth it.

Anyways, here’s the specifics as I know them to date:

Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic Luxury Firm - 3 1/4 in comfort layer, uses HD foam, 1.5-1.8 densities
Layers include: (top to bottom)
Ticking
Fire retardant
1 in HD supersoft poly foam
1 in HD convoluted foam
1/4 in HD foam
1/4 in insulated HD foam
cotton stitching
tiepar
pocketed springs

Grand Legacy Ultimate Sleep Plush and Ultimate Sleep Luxury Firm
Layers included: (bottom to top)
Pocketed coils with a Tri-zone coil where the middle third provides 30% more coils (nested coils)
Foam encased edge (3 in wide, 1.5lbs)
Talalay latex (no ILD given, emailed for more answers)
Bioflex Gel Memory Foam
Bioflex HD foam (one paper I have says these foams are 1.5-1.8lbs, but haven’t heard yet from email confirmation)
Ticking

So… going off of all that information, do you think one mattress is better than another, quality-wise? Is it worth waiting to hear back from Grand Legacy’s “office”? Our backs are suffering in the meantime. I know this will be worth the wait, anything is better than sleeping in a V position in our T memory foam bed. But does anyone have any specific advise? Should I ask the manufacturers more questions to help us decide? Both are comfortable beds for initial feel.

Thanks for your help.

Hi mama3boys,

I would need to know the specifics of each layer in both mattresses to make any meaningful comments or comparisons.

You can read more about the factors that are involved in the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here but the most important thing I would look for is any “weak links” in a mattress which means that I would make sure that there is no more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality materials in the comfort layers. In a two sided mattress I would use a minimum guideline of 1.5 lb polyfoam and in a one sided mattress I would use a minimum guideline of 1.8lb polyfoam and 4 lb memory foam or gel memory foam.

I should also mention that the innerspring in the OMF Orthopedic lineup is an offset coil … not a pocket coil.

Which one is better value would depend on all the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you … with the most important part of “value” being a good “match” in terms of PPP and the next being the quality of the materials so you have some reasonable assurance that the comfort layers won’t soften or degrade prematurely and lead to the loss of comfort and/or support too quickly.

If they can provide the missing information about each layer and you can post it here I’d be happy to make more comments.

Overall … the OMF is two sided so it meets the minimum guidelines I would use (although I would still want to know the specifics of each layer) and since the Grand Legacy is one sided I would want more specific information about all the layers (layer thickness and density from top to bottom) before I considered it.

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Cleveland area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I was on another site where posters had issues with Original Mattress Factory sagging IN THE FIRST MONTH (I have read your threads about what Warranties usually cover); Original Mattress has an even worse Warranty than is typical. They wouldn’t address or accept a return in the first week that still had the plastic cover on it in one case (even address fixing it). A salesman had talked another couple into going with a firmer foundation (it’ll get softer, but you can’t change too soft; it never got soft enough and they wouldn’t even offer to make changes, never mind a return which never happens anyway). There were a good 4 to 5 one stars on the thread for service-related reasons and that makes me wary, even though I don’t know of another source in the Atlanta area if I want to “test” the bed first.
:ohmy:

I just googled again. It’s Yelp that has quite a few 1 stars. Of course a lot of 4-5 stars as well. My concern is the service-oriented complaints of the 1 star ratings. And I downloaded their warranty. It’s nonexistent unless an elephant falls on your bed in a tornado near the zoo.
:lol:

Hi dmartin1910,

As you can see in post #13 here I don’t pay a lot of attention to mattress reviews. Reviews about the service of the company are more valid but in many cases the ones I read about OMF were customers complaining about the policies of OMF which they agreed to when they purchased the mattress (such as no returns). It’s fairly common that customers blame a company for making a poor mattress choice. Overall … OMF mattresses have had among the highest consumer ratings of the manufacturers that were included in the last two consumers reports surveys and their stores had among the highest customer service ratings as well so from a review point of view they are among the best of the more recognizable manufacturers although I take this with a grain of salt because once again … consumer reviews for mattresses (good or bad) are among the least effective ways to choose a mattress.

I don’t think that reviews like this are particularly credible. What has probably happened is that someone has chosen a mattress that was too soft in the first place and when the mattress was broken in it became a little softer yet and they ended up with back pain or other discomfort. It’s unlikely that the mattress was actually sagging (especially after a month) and this was most likely the result of a poor purchase decision.

OMF’s warranty has 1.5" and the other typical exclusions which are standard for the industry so I’m not sure what you mean when you say it is worse than what is typical.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Yes, that’s an amazing resource for my area! I already replied at the end of the thread two that have awesome comfort guarantees. Many others may be good options but you have to call first. I hate that!
This one in particular:
Room & Board – factory direct outlet for Restwell Mattress
• 1170 Howell Mill Road NW
• Atlanta, GA 30318
$2399 for Natural Latex Mattress (King)
$2099 for encased coils Natural Matress (hybrid with Latex and wool)
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19517&catalog=room&category=rm_bedrooms&subcategory=mattress
Guarantee (!!)
Don’t love it? Don’t worry. With Room & Board, you can shop for a new mattress risk free.
If you’re not happy with your new mattress, we will exchange it for a different style—or even take it back—with free return shipping. It’s that simple. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: