Need alternative mattress shopping options in NJ

This forum literally saved me from making the number one mistake and going down to my local furniture store for my new mattress. We are a married couple on the slightly plump side looking for restful sleep as new parents and are on the hunt for a king size mattress. We currently have a Simmons beautyrest that has been a total disappointment and don’t know where to turn. We were considering the satvaa mattress company and would appreciate any help in where we could turn.

Hi Restless in NJ,

The very first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will help you know what to avoid and what to focus on and outline the steps that will help you find your best mattress.

Perhaps the saddest part of this is that in an hour or two of reading you will know more about mattresses and what’s important to look for than the large majority of the people who sell them.

This thread will give you some of my thoughts about and an “analysis” of Saatva.

If you are anywhere close then post #7 here has some of the better NJ / NYC options I’m aware of.

if you are elsewhere in NJ … if you let me know your city or zip then I’d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are closer to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks so much for the links !! I went through the list of the close manufactures close to me and it seems that the best fit might be the Mattress factory in fan wood. I plan on checking them out tmrw and will see. If anyone comes across anyother options in the NJ area would appreciate a reply.

I think we’re probably narrowing our search to an innerspring, my past experiences with memory foam mattress aka bob-o-pedic proved to be a very uncomfortable morning.

Hi restless_inNJ,

Ron at Shovlin Mattress factory is definitely what I call “mattress people” and would be well worth a visit.

I wouldn’t necessarily rule out any material or design at the beginning based on one possibly lower quality version or possibly even a design that was unsuitable for you out of hundreds of different types and designs that can be used in a mattress. As with all materials, there are better and worse versions, although all memory foam will have the “slow response” feel that is common to all of them and some people just don’t like this type of foam.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

You were so right about Ron at the Shovlin Mattress factory what a completely different buying experience that was !! Absolutely no pressure and very informative !!! All your tips came in handy and for the first time I felt like I was in control of my selection. We are still trying to decide between their Sweet Dreams innerspring which incorporates the innersprings with talay foam and beleive it or not the latex foam mattress ( which I never thought I would consider). Price is a big deciding factor as obviously the Nirvana Latex mattress in almost 40% more in cost than the Sweet Dreams hybrid set. I am just concerned about the heat retention of the latex foam.

I will update you with our final decisions but thank you for all your tremendous help !!

Hi Restless_inNJ,

I think a lot of people are so used to all the “mattress hype” at the chain stores and with larger manufacturers that like you they are surprised at how much different it can be when you are dealing with real professionals and “mattress people” like Shovlin Mattress Factory who are more interested in helping you to make your best choices than “selling” you. In other words they put your best interests above their own (and understand that’s in their own best interests as well :))

There are many factors involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress but on one of these is the type of foam that is used. Of the three major categories of foam (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex) … and almost all mattresses have some type of foam in the upper layers … latex is the most breathable and coolest over the course of the night. You can read more about the many factors involved in sleeping temperature in post #2 here and post #29 here.

It’s great when you you reach the point where you have eliminated the worst choices and only have good ones … and when you are at this point it will come down to your preferences and which parts of your personal value equation are most important to you. Good questions that are answered by knowledgeable people that can help “educate” your intuition along with all objective, subjective, and even intangible factors that are important to you can help you make the “best” choice when there are no longer any bad ones left :slight_smile:

Phoenix