Need help between Flobeds Deluxe and Sleep ez 10000 and in finding a "Green" adjustable base

Hello,

I’m planning to buy a 100% natural latex mattress and adjustable base in a split king configuration. After doing considerable research, I’ve got the mattress choice down to Flobeds’ Natural Deluxe and Sleep ez’s 10000; and the adjustable base down to the Reverie Deluxe 5D, the L&P S-Cape, and the Ergomotion 400.

In terms of the mattress, I have a couple of questions. Though I don’t think I can go wrong with either choice, I believe the Flobeds Deluxe to be more expensive, but that it comes with an extra 2" convoluted topper. Specifically, I’m wondering if:

1. The convoluted 2’ topper makes a big difference as a comfort layer for someone that needs pressure relief (as opposed to a 3" soft talahay latex comfort layer on the Sleep ez 10000), and

2. If there are enough differentiators between the two suppliers and the two mattresses to justify me paying a higher price to go with the Flobeds Deluxe.

In terms of the adjustable base, I’m leaning toward the Reverie Deluxe 5D, but am concerned that the advertised lift weight for each half of the split king is only 300 lbs. If I add my weight to the weight of the latex mattress, 300 lbs is not a sufficient lift weight. Does anyone know if there is a big difference in lift weights between the three adjustable bases that I’m considering?

Also, after going to the trouble to purchase an Organic 100% Natural latex mattress, I’m concerned that the pad on the base and the skirting around it might be anything but natural and organic. Does anyone know what the pads and skirting of each adjustable base are made of? Is the pad made of poly foam and the skirting polyester? Any enlightenment on which base would be the most “green” would be very much appreciated. So far, I can’t really find this info on the web about any of the three.

Thanks for your assistance. I very much appreciate it.

Hi DeputyDawg,

Once you are down to final choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners then the only way I know to decide would be based on your phone calls with each manufacturer and the criteria of your personal value equation that were most important to you. I think that post #2 here which dealt with similar questions may also be helpful :slight_smile:

All the documentation for the Reverie 5D (Deluxe) says 300 lbs per side but when I called to ask them two years ago they sent me an “official” email which confirmed that each base will hold 550 lbs (see post #2 and #3 here) and they would honor the warranty for that amount. Since that was sometime ago and Gail no longer works there I would call them and ask them to confirm this for you in writing for your own peace of mind.

The weight limit for the S-Cape adjustables are 450 lbs for the DC motor and 600 lbs for the AC motor per side.

The weight limit for the Ergomotion 400 is 400 lbs per side.

The side pads on my Reverie Deluxe (5D) are polyfoam and this would be the norm for adjustable beds that had side padding. I don’t know the type of fabric in the skirting.

Phoenix

The most “natural” adjustable bed is naturepedic which is a Reverie 7s, with the foam and fabric replaced with Organic Cotton and latex.

http://www.naturepedic.com/products/you/conductor_organic_adjustable_bed.php

they are about twice what the regular 7S from Reverie would be.

Hi Buster1968,

Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize that Naturepedic made a custom version of the Reverie 7D and I appreciate you letting us know.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the quick reply. You’re right, the two choices are “Good and Good”.

With regards to the adjustables, I’ve pretty well settled in on the Reverie. They seem to be the best and have the best price point for what I’m looking for. Additionally, I talked to Brian today, at Reverie, and he advised that the lift weight is now 675 lbs. He was surprised to hear that I found any references of 300 lbs.

While talking to Brian, I explained all the features and benefits of your site and he said he was going to check it out.

Thanks again for your assistance. It’s very much appreciated.

Buster 1968,

Thanks so much for your reply to my query. That’s exactly what I’m looking for…but the price…OUCH!!!

As much as I’d like the Naturepedic, it’s just not going to work with my budget. I’m going to go with the Reverie Deluxe and put up with the polyester/cotton weave and poly foam.

Thanks again for your assistance. It’s very much appreciated.

Hi DeputyDawg,

That’s odd because the warranty information on their site here says 300 lbs for a twin (which would be 600 lbs for a king), 375 for full size and 425 lbs for a queen (which is the same as the information that prompted the email I linked earlier).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I do have one more follow-up question.

I saw a recent reference to a “celsion” topper somewhere (don’t remember where though) and am wondering what it is and how it might compare to Flobed’s convoluted topper. Any info including pro’s and con’s of each would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.

It seemed odd to me as well. However, Brian (in Sales) said he’d confirm it back in an email. Once I receive the email, I’ll send you a confirmation.

Hi DeputyDawg,

Celsion is the old name for what is now called Talalay GL fast response. Pure Latex Bliss calls the same material Active Fusion fast response. It’s Talalay latex that has phase change gel added to it to assist with temperature regulation (see post #5 here). It comes in ILD’s of 15, 21, and 27. It would be comparable to a solid layer of blended Talalay in the same ILD in terms of softness. If it was convoluted it would also be comparable to a convoluted Talalay layer in the same ILD.

Convoluting can also have some benefit to increase airflow in material depending on how much the peaks of the convoluted layer are compressed with weight (whether the valleys or channels remain open) and the type of materials above the convoluted layer.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for all your kind replies to my queries thus far.

I do have four follow-up questions now that I’ve had a chance to digest previous information:

1. Are you aware of any issues with the Flobeds 100 % natural convoluted layer either having more compression/impression issues than a non-convoluted topper; and/or wearing out sooner or becoming damaged (due to being more fragile) when used on an adjustable base?

2. Can one feel actually feel the “egg crate” gaps of the convoluted topper when laying on the Flobeds mattress?

3. For someone that needs both pressure relief and strong back support, is two inches on the Flobeds Deluxe model sufficient as a comfort layer?

4. Is there a thickness recommended NOT to exceed with a mattress when used with an adjustable base…due to folding issues or other issues?

As info, I did settle on the Reverie split king Deluxe 5D base and have it on order now…but am still struggling on picking between the Flobeds 12" Deluxe and Sleep EZ 10000 mattresses.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance. It is very much appreciated.

Hi DeputyDawg,

No … their convoluted layer is 28 ILD which is more durable than softer ILD’s and the convoluting gives it a softer feel than the same ILD in a solid layer.

Generally no with a quilted cover but the convoluted layer can also be used with either side up.

All the layers of a mattress interact together and the 2" convoluted layer is only part of the comfort layers in combination with the layers below it (particularly the next layer down) so the choice of layers underneath the convoluted layer would be an important part of your choice.

It depends on the specific materials and components but with latex which is very flexible anything up to about 12" or so would generally be fine and even something a little thicker would still bend easily with the adjustable bed although it wouldn’t bend quite as easily as a thinner mattress.

One of the challenges of a site like this is that you have more and better choices to choose between and when you are down to final choices between “good and good” (which you are) and there is no clear winner or any “mistakes” in terms of quality or value then it’s really a matter of deciding between all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are the most important part of your personal value equation and making the “best judgement” choice that you feel best about.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this…but I just finally received the email confirmation from Brandon Berman, Reverie’s Director of Consumer Sales.

In the email, he replied to me: “Attached is page 8 from our Reverie Deluxe Owners Manual which states the recommended weight restriction for our bed is 600 pounds.”

Attached, is the page 8 that he sent me. I hope this info helps you and other forum members.

Now if I could just decide between the Flobeds Deluxe and Sleep EZ 10000, I’d be all set!!!

Best regards.

Hi DeputyDawg,

Thanks for sharing the information they sent you. It’s great to get “official” confirmation of the weight limits.

Good luck in your choice between the Flobeds and Sleepez as well. I know that final choices between two good options are difficult but it’s also a sign that you have done some great research which means that there are really no “mistakes” no matter which one you end up choosing.

Phoenix

Hi DeputyDawg,

I was directed to your thread because I had many similar questions. Which bed do you finally decide on? How do you like it? Why did you choose the particular bed you chose? I am glad you asked good questions and it is great that Phoenix has as much knowledge and provides great service.

Much appreciated, thanks.
Karen & Doug

Hi Karen & Doug,

I apologize for the slight delay in getting back to you…just too many things going on.

I agree that Phoenix gives great advice and was extremely helpful in my education on latex mattresses, as well as my final decision.

Though both Sleep EZ and Flobeds’s are OUTSTANDING manufacturers with GREAT reputations, I ultimately selected Flobeds for a number of reasons…but primarily for the convoluted layer and overall flexibility. I had read in the forum about a number of members having difficulty getting their latex configurations right to address both pressure relief and alignment issues and was concerned with “what if we were one of those “unusual” cases that had trouble getting it right”. To put things in better perspective, my wife badly needed a mattress to address both pressure relief and proper alignment issues…and, prior to our Flobed’s purchase, she was typically getting only a few hours of real sleep each night…and could only get this by sleeping in the Family Room and alternating between the couch and the recliner.

The convoluted layer made a lot of sense of sense to me. The “egg crating” would seem to provide a very nice plush feel (for pressure relief) and was only two inches in thickness…which would allow us a little more flexibility in the next layer between pressure relief and alignment. Plus, if we didn’t like the convolute, Flobeds agreed they would exchange it for a regular layer…so one of the flexibility points I mentioned. In my research, I didn’t find many manufacturer’s offering a convolute layer.

We started out getting the 12 inch Deluxe, and though it made marked difference in my wife’s sleeping through the night (and again in a bed), she still woke up with either pressure relief issues in her shoulders or alignment issues (pain in her lower back). Every time I changed a layer around, I fixed one problem but then caused the other…so we became one of those “unusual” cases. I also encountered the same issues, but not to the severity of my wife.

After discussing this with Flobeds, they suggested we upgrade to the VZone. I have to admit that when I first thought about a VZone, I thought it might be too gimmicky…but one of the reasons I picked Flobeds was for this flexibility in case we would need it…and now I’m sure glad that I did.

When I really looked closer at the VZone, it made total sense to me…that I could soften just the shoulders and firm up just the lumbar area. So, we upgaraded to the VZone. Luckily, thus far, both of our issues were solved.

Flobed’s is known for phenomenal customer support and I can clearly further attest to that. Dave and Dewey have been PHENOMENAL…and spent considerable time with me on the phone answering my questions both before and after the purchase.

We are a very satisfied Flobeds customer and very pleased with our split king all natural latex split king VZone mattresses.

Hope this helps you…this is what worked for us. Again, I apologize in the delay in responding to your questions.

Best regards,

Deputy Dawg.

Hi DeputyDawg,

Thanks for the update and for “closing the loop” about what you ended up deciding.

I think you made a great choice for all the right reasons and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s also great to see that the vZone was so helpful for you and it’s custom zoning can be a great option to have available for those who would benefit from it.

Phoenix

Deputy Dawg,

No need to apologize at all. I really appreciate the reply. We were discussing the differences and were wondering how they v-zones can be arranged for people of different heights and weights? I am 6’4-5"(240-250) and my wife is 5’9-10" (less than 140). Do they split them like the layers? I do like the thought of the convolute as well, it makes sense to my over-thinking thought process.

I will call them tomorrow but having input from an actual customer is much better. Thanks so much and am glad you guys are sleeping better. Last night was another tough one for Karen.

Thanks,
Doug