Need Help Choosing a Topper to Make Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze Feel Less Firm!

Hi! About a year ago I purchased a Tempur-pedic Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Breeze in a California King. I generally love it, but have realized that it feels a bit too firm for my taste, especially when I first get in. (Back when I was choosing which mattress to purchase I had been afraid that the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze would be too soft, but in retrospect I think I should have gone with that one instead of the Rhapsody. Too late to exchange it though.)

I was thinking that perhaps I could buy a mattress topper to provide that soft initial feel that I am seeking. Can anyone suggest a brand/style of topper that would work well? I vaguely understand that adding an extra layer may reduce the heat transfer that causes the foam to mold to one’s body, so the mattress could end up feeling even firmer… but maybe this is not relevant with the Breeze model?

There are a lot of toppers out there and I have no idea what thickness/material I should get to make my mattress feel more “cloud-like”. I would love advice! Note: I don’t really care about the cost as long as it performs well.

I hope to hear from you!!

Best,
Daisy

Hi daisy2007,

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success and also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick reply!! I really appreciate the links you pointed out. But one issue I haven’t seen addressed yet is which topper material would be best to use with an existing tempur-pedic mattress. I get the sense that most of those links are discussing the use of toppers with traditional mattresses. Any thoughts on this issue would be very helpful!!

Daisy

Hi daisy2007,

The topper guidelines would be relevant for any type of mattress (memory foam, latex, innerspring, hybrid etc).

Just like with a mattress … the type of material would be a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice so it would depend entirely on which type of material you tend to prefer (either more resilient and faster response materials like latex or to a lesser degree polyfoam or less resilient and slow response materials like memory foam).

Since you purchased a memory foam mattress then that may mean that you prefer the feel of memory foam over other types of materials and if this is the case then I would probably choose a memory foam or gel memory foam topper.

Regardless of your preferences though I would make sure that the topper you choose is a good quality/density and durable material (see the guidelines here) so it won’t soften and break down prematurely although with a topper durability may be a little less important because a topper can easily be replaced without having to replace the mattress underneath it.

I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination so if you can’t test the combination in person before a purchase then the return/exchange policy for the topper would probably be a much more important part of your choice so that you have good options after a purchase just in case your topper doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it.

Phoenix