Need Help Choosing "Bed In Box" Mattress

I’m also considering kiss mattress now.

I noticed that kiss mattress advertises their float foam as memory foam. but the simplified mattress thread calls this high performance poly foam.

This mattress seems pretty similar to the ghostbed. Right now I’m between ghostbed and kiss mattress. Ghostbed kind of worries me cause their reviews on amazon have a grade of F when it comes to being “real”.

Hi whitesox20,

You’re correct that they are “sort of” similar in design. Both use latex on top, with the KISS using blended Talalay and the Ghostbed using continuous pour synthetic Dunlop. The transition layer in the KISS is a high performance polyfoam, which some manufacturers describe as a Float Memory Foam, but as KISS states on their web site Our float foam is a high performance polyurethane foam that has all of the sink of memory foam, without the slow recovery rate. This is accurate. Ghostbed uses actual memory foam. The polyfoam cores of each item are similar.

Ghostbed, specifically the owner’s daughter (Ashley Werner), was listed in a recent US District Court document of providing a false review on amazon for another product as well (see item 39 here). Ghostbed is also mentioned in the lawsuit between Purple mattress and HMR /Ghostbed, so I can understand your concerns.

Phoenix

Is there a reason why I can’t find many comments or reviews of the kiss mattresss?

Does anyone have experience with a Muse Mattress? I’ve seen them advertised locally and they seem to have good reviews on Amazon. Wondering if anyone has tried it.

Also curious about the return process. @whitesox20 - when you returned the TN mattress, how easy was it to pack up? I’m assuming you had to ship it back.

Hi sbdiver,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Tuft & Needle will request you to donate your mattress to a local charity as part of their trial policy of the product doesn’t work out well for you, and once they have a copy of your donation receipt they will issue you a refund.

Regarding Muse, it has been mentioned a few times here on the forum. You can click on this link for posts on the site mentioning them.

As for “reviews”, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

Hi whitesox20,

I’ve actually spoken with SleepEZ about this in the past and the reason is that they do not participate much with the common promotion, social media, review requests and affiliate marketing that is common with many online boxed bed mattresses. They do show some reviews on their web site from yotpo. As they are in the process of a redesign on their KISS mattress site, and have brought in some new people, you may see some changes in this area in the future. But this is the main reason.

Phoenix

That would make sense. I think I’m going to go with something medium-firm. I’m leaning towards something memory foam because I believe this would offer the better pressure relief then the other foam options. Do you think the Kiss Mattress would offer some of the same benefits of memory foam with that float foam underneath the latex?

Same thing with the Ghostbed too. I’m wondering if you can really get the benefits of that memory foam being it is the 2nd layer.

Hi whitesox20,

Using memory foam under a latex layer does offer a rather unique comfort, “tempering” some of the buoyancy of the latex placed on top of it. Of course, this depends upon the type of thickness of both the memory foam and the latex being used. You could describe it as a “slightly less dead memory foam feel”, or a “slightly less buoyant latex feel”. As the latex would be on the uppermost layer, that would be the layer most primary in the comfort being felt.

Phoenix

I really can’t decide between a ghostbed and kiss mattress.

Ghostbed as a Company has some ethical red flags but is in general a solid built product. If the specs they give out are correct.

Kiss Mattress is even more solid and slightly better quality because of the float foam vs the 4 LB memory foam in the ghostbed. My only issue with Kiss is that you can’t find anything out there about them! Also price is a bit more than the ghostbed.

How did you come across Kiss to invite them to be a site member if I may ask? Maybe that would give me more comfort buying from them.

I guess both brands are backed by established companies at the end of the day.

Hi whitesox20,

There is information available about the KISS mattress online, but I already explained in my previous reply why they choose to not participate in more “promotive” material and web sites about the KISS mattress.

And in case you missed it earlier in this thread in my reply to sbdiver regarding the reliance upon “reviews”, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here ).

The KISS mattress is produced by SleepEZ, one of the oldest and most-respected independent mattress manufactures in the United States. SleepEZ is very experienced in both latex and memory foam mattresses, and I do think highly of them, their products and their experience. If you do end up deciding upon the KISS mattress, don’t forget to avail yourself of your TMU membership discount code for them of MUG.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Phoenix

I just joined the site, so I hope I’m allowed to jump in on the discussion, I’ve been reading a lot on the forum here the last few weeks, and researching all the trusted members products. I think I’m leaning towards the KISS as well.

You mentioned a redesign and new people in the company, do you know if they will be changing their product at all?

It seems to be a good way to get a latex topped mattress from a reputable company at a very good value.

The other option I was considering was the Brooklyn BME, we have also started looking at retailers in the area (Sonoma County, CA) specifically looking at Diamond mattresses later this week.

I’m pretty sold on the idea of latex for a cooler bed, currently we are an an older chinese made memory foam that is causing a little back pain for me (6’2 225lbs) too soft and saggy, not a quality mattress by any measure, but as a teacher I’m on a budget, so trying to get the best bang for the buck.

any help or suggestions would be great

Well Ghostbed charged tax while Kiss does not. Seems like Kiss would be the logical choice being that they’re the same price. Think I’m going to pull the trigger on them :). Need to contact them to check firmness though.

Hi whitesox20,

Yes, I would definitely recommend a detailed phone conversation with any manufacturer for their guidance on firmness selections before placing an order. That’s a good idea.

Phoenix

Hi aaronthearcher,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The redesign/staffing I mentioned was in reference to their web site. I’m not aware of any current redesign of the mattress itself, but manufactures are constantly reengineering and refining their products.

As far as help in selecting a mattress, the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you have more specific questions, I’ll do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

Just saw Christeli is a trusted member now…

At $650 with the discount the VERSAILLES 10" brings interesting value to the table. Glad I saw that before purchasing the KISS. Decisions, decisions.

I was just looking at their website as well, I really want to try one I’m concerned about their return policy, I don’t plan on returning any mattress I decide to buy, but I sure do like the option, they only seem to have a 50 return for exchange not money back. If I had that assurance I would have ordered today.

I think my issue is I’ve been overwhelmed with how many options are out there, and thanks to the info here at least I know what to look for, and trying to get the value for my dollar, while being sure I get the quality and type of bed I want.

Hi aaronthearcher,

Many brands (like Christeli) choose not to build in the cost of allowing full refund returns into the price of their products, and instead rely upon a customization/sleep trial policy. This, combined with their unique adjustable Ortho-Core, allows for quite a bit of flexibility in addressing comfort preferences.

If you’re considering them, I would strongly recommend a detailed phone to their offices to discuss your specific needs, as they have quite a few combinations available. And don’t forget your underground5 TMU discount code if you do place an order with them.

Phoenix

I just placed an order for Brooklyn beddings best ever matteress. The confidence of knowing if I’m unhappy with it I can get a refund made me secure enough to place the order. Not to mention it being a trusted member. I am hoping it has the latex feel I’ve found that I like. Springy rather than the sinking memory foam feeling of my current mattress (it is very low quality). If I find that I and my wife are unhappy after a couple months with the BME we will be going back to memory foam of a high quality probably the christeli

Hi aaronthearcher,

Congratulations on your new mattress order! :cheer: As you’re aware, the Best Mattress Ever does use good quality and durable materials, and you certainly made a good value/quality choice. The TitanFlex foam does have a highly resilient feel that is similar to latex. Hopefully it is something that you will enjoy.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received your new mattress and have had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix