Need Help Choosing "Bed In Box" Mattress

Hi aaronthearcher,

Congratulations on your new mattress order! :cheer: As you’re aware, the Best Mattress Ever does use good quality and durable materials, and you certainly made a good value/quality choice. The TitanFlex foam does have a highly resilient feel that is similar to latex. Hopefully it is something that you will enjoy.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received your new mattress and have had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Just got off the phone with Kiss. I was told the mattress is changing in about a month. In their FAQ section it talked about an exchange option during the trial period. I asked for a clarification yesterday and she called me back today and told me that was a mistake, there is no exchange option and the website had been updated.

Hi Napper,

Thanks for taking the time to post your conversation!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It is me again :). I still have not replaced my Tuft & Needle. I’m still trying to decide between the Ghostbed, Arizona Mattress Eco Sleep Hybrid, and the Christeli Versailles model. Can you comment on my thoughts below and give your thoughts on my assumptions?

Ghostbed:

• I like the idea of having the durability of latex and conformance of the gel memory foam underneath.
  • Good quality materials. I think that this mattress would be relatively durable.
  • Middle price point of the three at $695 right now.

Christeli:

• I like the idea of having quality memory foam. With the 5 LB densisity, it seems comparable to the tempurpedic brand.
  • No returns
  • Would most likely sleep the warmest of the three.
  • Least amount of motion transfer of the three.

Arizona Eco Sleep:

• Would be the most durable of the three
  • Need to put it together yourself, this is a turn off for me.
  • Would sleep the coolest.
  • Less pressure relief than the other 2.

What would the motion transfer be like on a hybrid like the eco sleep?

Ugh this is such a hard decision lol :(. I plan to make it today either way. I know between the 3 you would most recommend Christeli and Arizona being that they’re members of the site. Buying a mattress is hard work… Sorry for my unorganized thoughts!

Hi whitesox20,

With the three models you mentioned, any of the Christeli models would most likely be the best at motion transfer characteristics. I wouldn’t be able to tell if there would be much of a difference in airflow between the Ghostbed and the Christeli, as it would depend upon the Christeli model you chose. It would be more appropriate to say that the EcoSleep would move more air than the other two items. As far as assembly, the EcoSleep isn’t too complicated if you choose that item. And as for pressure relief, that’s not really something again I could quantify, as latex with a pocketed spring unit can be quite good at this, so I don’t know that your supposition that the EcoSleep would be the worst at pressure point relief would be true. I would say that all three of the products could produce good pressure relief, but it would again be determined by the specific models you chose.

While Christeli and Arizona Premium are site members, which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency, that’s not a requirement for me to comment upon a product.

Phoenix

Could you speak to the motion transfer of the Arizona Eco Hybrid and what edge support would be like? I don’t think I’ve ever tested a hybrid.

Hi whitesox20,

The edge reinforcement on the Caliber Edge spring units is from rows of springs using thicker gauge steel around the perimeter. This type of edge system provides a good elimination of product roll-off (the main function of an edge reinforcement system) and allows you to sleep close to the edge of the mattress. This type of system doesn’t tend to feel as “stiff” as some of the innerspring units, such as an LFK, using a border rod and high IFD polyfoam encasement, when being sat upon.

Memory foam is the best at motion isolation but latex and pocket coils are good for this as well (see post #18 here). Having said that … all the layers and components in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of all the other layers and the mattress “as a whole” so the best way to test for motion isolation is your own careful testing on a mattress using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (with both of you on the mattress) because a mattress that may be “motion isolating enough” for one couple may not be as suitable for another couple that is more sensitive. A foundation under your mattress would certainly contribute to having better motion isolation but it would depend on the type and force of the movement and on the thickness of your mattress as well (a thicker mattress would isolate you more from the springs). Traditional metal bed frames are also culprits in allowing people to feel more motion when moving atop a mattress.

Overall I would think it’s reasonable to say and most manufacturers would agree that latex is “good” with motion separation, especially the slower heavier types of movement such as turning over or bouncing or getting out of bed and are an improvement over other materials (except memory foam) but again this depends on the type of movement or vibration and the specific construction of the mattress, the ticking and quilting materials, and the materials or components above and below the latex and even the bedding above the latex as well.

Phoenix

I had decided on the eco sleep hybrid but I didn’t realize there would be a $90 shipping fee. :frowning: puts it out of my budget even with the 5% discount.

Hi whitesox20,

Yes, Arizona Premium doesn’t build in the shipping cost to the mattress price, but figures it out based upon your zip code for the specific item you’re ordering. Some manufacturers choose to ship in this manner, so it’s always important to look at the final price you’ll pay, especially when you are on a tight budget.

Phoenix

I talked to Ghostbed a little bit and they told me their mattresses are in a box sitting in the warehouse as we speak. They said I could leave it in the box as long as I want until I was ready to use it. Does this raise any flags for you? I seem to remember some other manufacturers recommending opening it within a certain amount of time.

Hi whitesox20,

You may have run across one of my comments regarding polyfoams that have been compressed for longer than 30 days or so in sipping or storage as having the potential for a reduction in the durability of the materials. You’ll find it’s common that many manufacturers create their compressed products “just-in-time” and then ship and request their clients to remove them from the box within a few weeks of shipment. Ghostbed on their web site states you may keep their item in the box up to 6 months after receiving it, but I personally would have a concern with polyfoams compressed for that period of time.

Phoenix

So just wanted to update.

I ended up buying the Ghostbed and it isn’t working out. I just can’t seem to find the right support to keep my spine aligned and wake up pain free the next morning. The product itself was relatively nice, however I would say a little firm. To me it was about a 7/10 firmness. Pillows were nice too. With that being said I think I’m going to be cashing in on my sleep trial.

I already decided that I’m going to just buy the Arizona Premium Hybrid Eco Sleep Latex over Pocket Coils. I talked to Vinny a bit and based on me being a side sleeper, he recommended the plush (#19 ILD) Talalay. I always thought that lower back pain = needing a firmer mattress so I’m a little hesitant to go with a soft. What is your opinion on this? Also something I need to think about is my partner sleeps on her stomach/side and prefers a firmer mattress. I don’t think I want a double configuration either. I wonder if a medium firmness would work for me or if I would just be working against myself.

Whitesox20

Hi whitesox20.

I am sorry to hear that the Ghostbed isn’t working for you.

It makes sense to consider a different sleeping system and I am glad that you reached out to Arizona Premium Mattress which you already know that it is one of Trusted Members and more recently one of our site Experts which means that I think very highly of them

As the previous product seems to be too firm and with Dunlop foams having a firmer feel, I would follow Arizona Premium’s suggestions to use a Talalay for a comfort layer.

You are correct! I am not very sure of what your sleeping position is but given the sleeping position of your partner you may need to make sure that Arizona Premium is aware that your mattress needs to accommodate combination sleeping and that your partner is a prone sleeper as she would need a more supportive surface. This is because the weight of hip/stomach area for a front sleeping position if not properly supported would throw hear spine out of alignment in hyperextension of the lumbar area (The stomach is the weakest sleeping posture). You may wish to review the guidelines in this [url=Your sleeping style, preferences, and statistics - Your sleep positions - The Mattress Underground] Sleep Positions Article [url] so that she avoids hyperextension in a swayback positon that can cause back issues.

As you already narrowed down your mattress to Arizona’s Hybrid Eco model I highly recommend that you follow their suggestions.

I’ll be interested in learning about your progress.

Phoenix

Hello,
I am in need of some advice. I’ve tried a few different mattresses to help my lower back pain but can’t seem to find the “one”. My back is most sore after waking up in the morning, which I’ve thought it has to be the mattress I’m sleeping on. So far I’ve tried Tuft & Needle, Ghostbed, and now I’m on a Arizona Mattress Eco-Sleep. I’ve been on the eco-sleep for a couple of weeks now and still the same issue. The T&N and Ghostbed were medium to medium firm feels, while the Eco-Sleep is closer to medium-soft. I’m not sure what to do at this point because I can’t really return the Eco-Sleep. Not sure how I would ship such a large item back and then also I would take a $200 hit returning the item. I’m just lost at this point and not sure what direction to head… I currently sleep on my side and try to stay in the “ergonomic” side position as much as possible. I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night a lot lately with a sore lower back, not sure if that is why I am waking up or not. I weigh about 150-160 pounds

Hi whitesox20.

When you tried Ghostbed medium/firm you were mentioning that it was not supportive enough and you woke up with pains. I am not very sure if when you changed to Eco-Sleep you noticed any pain reduction, but I would use the experience you gained in this process of trial and error to fine tune the comfort/support and talk it over with Vinny or Ken at Arizona detailing the history. The 3" blended Talalay latex in the comfort layer of your mattress comes in plush (which is what you currently have) medium, firm and even extra firm. Plush is generally recommended for side sleepers where a medium is better if you sleep on both side and back and Firm is best for back and stomach sleepers.

I am not sure what the costs involved in returning the item would be but at this point you still have options of fine-tuning this system and make it work for you but if it comes to having to return the product you can reduce the size of the unit to the original shipment for reducing the cost and it should not be too difficult to reduce the size of the spring unit for shipping if you place the innerspring into the saved plastic packaging material the unit came with, then seal with tape all places where air can enter except a small area just big enough for a vacuum cleaner nozzle. Suck the air out until unit is compressed, roll it, slip a plastic sleeve over the rolled cylinder (you can call Arizona Premium support to ask for a replacement plastic sleeve) You watch this video here of how to return the pocket coil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmAOgItthDQ
How to Return or Ship a Latex Foam or Memory Foam Mattress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD73IOG0oiM&t=9s

While “proper” alignment is one of the keys to achieving more time in the deeper stages of sleep, it is rare to find someone that has an exactly “straight” spine (when on their side), nor is a perfectly straight spine necessary to achieve good comfort. We all have our individual abnormalities, so the key is finding what works best for us as individuals. Additionally, unless you were experiencing something quite a bit outside of your “normal” alignment, it would be difficult for you to discern personally if your spine was “straight” or not. And even with very accurate measuring techniques like white-light raster triangulation, research shows that many people achieve their own personal “neutral” alignment with hip tilt and some thoracic curvature.

In general, you’d want firm enough deep support, which the eco would provide for your BMI, and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of your side sleeping profile and relieve pressure. I would also make sure to check the foundation is supporting the mattress well when you are lying on your mattress

I am not very sure if you are experiencing upper, mid, or lower back issues, as this would also give you a clue of the “culprit”, but it may be worth trying a relatively thin pillow in between your knees to see if it makes any difference. Also, a pillow or body pillow placed in front and/or behind you can assist with “locking” you into the side position. Also, be sure to adjust the thickness of your pillow under your head when sleeping on your side, all this would allow you collect enough data points to pinpoint what is going on. So it is all very individualized and I would make sure to include your findings in your conversation with Arizona.

Based on the basic information you provided, that’s about as specific as I can be with my guidance. I hope that information is helpful.

Phoenix

Journey is still going. The Arizona Eco Sleep didn’t work out for us for a few different reasons that I won’t go into. Just a few personal preference issues. I will just say Ken from Arizona Premium was amazing helping me work out a solution and is just a genuine guy who want’s people to be happy on what they’re sleeping on.

I’m still having the sore issues after waking up. I’m too the point that I’m going to give up and explore other avenues to solve this issue. The next mattress I order I’m 100% going to keep no matter what.

Right now I’m deciding between:

Novosbed Medium Firmness

Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Supreme

Would these have similar feels? Seems like the major difference is Novosbed has 5lb memory foam compared to Dreamfoam’s 4lb. Novosbed also offers the blue cooling layer and both have different covers. Also Novosbed has the comfort+ option.

I’m also interested in the Silk & Snow, but the above two seem like a much better value. I’m pretty torn between these 2 mattresses. Has anyone slept on either one and could provide any thoughts?

Hi whitesox20.

Even though your journey still continues, hopefully, with the insights you’ve gained from the “wrong” choices, you are a step closer to finding a mattress that conforms to all your needs and preferences. I agree with you that individuals with multiple sensitivities and/or complex medical issues may need to explore “other venues” and perhaps keep the expectations of success reasonable because there may be no “perfect” mattress and “best possible” may be the best outcome, but again only you would be able to tell if you are one of those people that may need to settle for the “best possible”.

I am glad that Ken has been so supportive and helped you through, especially when you’ve had so many moving parts as you did.

Even though it is great to hear accounts of what worked for someone else, this would be of little value to you as it’s not possible for anyone else to assess how ether of these two mattresses would feel for you because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and that there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The only way to know for certain whether a mattress you end up choosing will be a “good enough” match for you to keep (even if it isn’t the “best match” out of all the mattresses that you “could have tried” instead) will be based on careful testing your own personal experience when you sleep on it for a while.

The most reliable source of guidance would always be a detailed phone conversation with both “finalists” who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, including your history and experience with the other mattresses you’ve tried. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else. A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again.

All the layers and materials aren’t the same and the design is different for each mattress, every difference between two mattresses can either have a cumulative effect or an offsetting effect that is very difficult for even a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer to predict how will play out for each individual. It can be surprising to many people how different two seemingly “similar” mattresses can feel. Most people only pay attention only to the density numbers of the foam layers and not to all the other specs or components that can make a significant difference in how a mattress feels and performs. This is especially true for sleepers such as you that are more sensitive and have a narrower “range” for a mattress that will work well for them.

I would also be cautious about considering any “extras” that one company may offer over the other and I would make a choice based on suitability. I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope this brings some more info to help find the “perfect” rather than the “best possible” mattress.

Phoenix

So, whatever did you go with and how is it working out for you?

I was debating between Loom & Leef (Relaxed Firm) and Ghost Bed Luxe. I want something with decent materials, such as foam with a 4lb density or better and 1.8lb or better polyfoam. These two brands seem to fit the bill and are both under $2K. It looks like many manufactures are starting to change their layers and are going with weaker materials, for example Novosbed and Nest (Alexander Signature Series) just recently switched to lower density foams, or at least it appears that way through my research. I was curious if anyone had any feedback on Loom & Leaf vs. Ghost Bed Luxe.

Hey gmck,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thanks for the post and the questions. Generally speaking, we are also noticing that many companies are moving to some lower densities. Regarding the Loom and Leaf and Ghostbed Luxe, Ghostbed is one of our newest trusted membersand as you see on the Ghostbed TMU page - Ghostbed Luxe Specs, this product uses very high-quality specs, this has been a very successful product introduction with very low return rates, per my discussion with the Ghostbed CEO.

Saatva/Loom&Leaf/Zenhaven is certainly a very good company and has built a solid e-commerce business. My issue with Loom is they use contract manufacturers to make their mattresses in different regions of the country. Of course, they say all these contractors use the “same” specs and it is all “tightly controlled” but the reality is quite different. I do like that L&L does give a pretty detailed spec listing on their website. Although I am a little dubious about the Our cooling gel spinal panel, a panel of laminated gel does not help a person sleep cooler, there is simply no evidence of this, mostly the evidence is the opposite and more heat is retained…but, when you “feel” gel in a store it feels cooler, the same way a metal spoon feels cooler than a plastic spoon.

Also for a little clarification, I don’t agree that Nest Bedding is choosing weaker layers, as you can see from this Phoenix post #6, where the Nest CEO gives a clear description of the Alexander Signature.

Thank you again for your post, and please let us know if you have any more questions.

Sensei