Need Help Choosing Split King with Adjustable

I’ve been lurking now for a few weeks and decided to register and ask some questions. There’s SO MUCH info to pour over and confusion has set in nicely - HAHA!

So I’m in the market for a split king with adjustable. I have serious back problems and am a back sleeper. My wife is a side sleeper mostly and stomach at times. I’m a big guy - 6’2 270 - and with that being said, our current Kingsdown mattress is not getting the job done at all.

I know I want split king so I can do like zero gravity and keep as much pressure off my lower back (L5 S1 problems) as much as possible, but my wife isn’t going to want to sleep the same way - so that’s why the split king. Adjustable is the requirement - the massage can come or go - it’s not a deal breaker.

I went and test drove the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe over the weekend - to compare to the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress and liked it - but most certainly didn’t like the price :wink: That being said, last night we tried a Simmons Comforpedic Balanced Days / Nourishing Comfort model - and liked it too. Just not the final price when adjustable was added.

I’m not a cheap skate - I’m just not going to take a car loan to get a bed, that’s all I’m saying.

Is there a good alternative here to order the Ultimate Dreams and match it to an adjustable base and make it all come together for a reasonable amount of money? I just don’t know what frames are good or bad and what to choose and all the reading and research is just confusing me more. So I figured I’d post and let the experts weigh in with some ideas. I’m looking to pull the trigger quick. I live around the STL Metro area so I’ve got a fair amount of shopping areas to go try things out if need be to get down to a final decision. I’m not stuck on the Ultimate Dreams at all and am open to any brand that will hold up well and fulfill it’s duty.

Ordering online and shipping in doesn’t bother me at all either.

Please help :slight_smile: Thanks and I’ll be watching the thread - the help and ideas will be much appreciated!

Hi vexter0944,

The adjustable bed thread here may help and has some pricing references as well. All the adjustable beds perform the same basic function of elevating your head and feet so they don’t have to be “matched” to a mattress and the main differences between them are in the other features (including a wall hugger feature) and in the degree of elevation (some like the Reverie can raise the head a little higher). In other words if you have a mattress that works well on one adjustable bed it will work just as well on others.

I would treat the mattress purchase and the adjustable bed purchase as separate elements. Once you have chosen the mattress then any good quality adjustable will work just as well and I would base your choice on the features that are most important to you.

Some of the better options and possibilities that I’m aware of in the St Louis area are listed in post #6 here and this thread has some feedback from one of the forum members here as well.

Phoenix

Thanks For the links Phoenix - I can see some more reading in my future (and more questions I’m sure!) - I’ll read the links and do some more research.

I may post back with more questions/thoughts but I sure do appreciate the input - any other thoughts, please let me know.

THANKS!!!

Hi vester0944,

Just in case you haven’t read it … post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will likely find most helpful and links to some of the more helpful forum posts as well.

If you have any questions that come up along the way I’d certainly be happy to share my thoughts about them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix -

Been doing a lot of calling tonight and found this mattress - http://bedbosswholesale.com/compare/revolution-vs-grand-bed - combined with this frame - http://glideaway.com/products/comfort-bases/ for a pretty good cost factor - but I can’t find much info on them - any input?

Hi vexter0944,

Bedboss can have some good quality/value and they are CertiPur certified but to make any meaningful comments about a specific mattress I would need to know the specifics of all the layers in the mattress including the thickness, type of foam, and foam densities of each layer). Post #2 here has some general comments about them and a forum search on Bed boss (you can just click the link) will bring up more about them as well.

If the retailer you are dealing with can provide this and you can post it here I’d be happy to make some comments.

As a very general comment there is 6" of memory foam in the mattress and I would tend to be cautious with memory foam layers this thick because of the risk of the heavier parts of your body sinking in too far and causing alignment issues. Of course your own personal testing (and in the case of memory foam I would test it for longer than just the normal 15 minutes so that the memory foam has a chance to warm up) would be more meaningful than any “theory” so this is just a caution to make sure you test it carefully for spinal alignment.

The Glideaway adjustable beds appear to be just a rebranded version of the Reverie adjustable beds and they are certainly one of the options I would consider. I have owned a Reverie Deluxe for about 3 years and am happy with it.

Phoenix

FYI…
After extensive research, purchased a Leggett & Platt split king adjustable base this past spring. My main concerns were quality, features, & price. I decided on the Leggett & Platt model C7 from Bedding Mart in NW AR for $1250, delivered, tax included and with headboard brackets, and casters…
It is a wireless remote unit, that is very similar to the L & P S-Cape, except it has a DC motor instead of a AC motor and it has only the one programmable setting. Doesn’t have a specific setting for zero gravity, but you are able to custom program your own zero gravity setting.
What I like about L & P is that it is a 130 year old American company with their HQ’s in Carthage, MO. The base is manufactured in Dallas.
We use this base with a king size 12" latex/memory foam mattress and really have fully enjoyed it. Hope this info is useful for you.

Hi Norms57,

Thanks for your feedback and it certainly appears to me you made a good quality and value choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

CORRECTION

The model of our L & P base is Basis C3. My apology for the mistake.

Well - shopping went well over the weekend and I’m looking for final feedback on this setup -

Reverie base - the one with massage etc - the 5D I believe

Restonic Healthrest King bed - layered as such - 2 3/4 Gel infused memory foam, 1" of all natural latex, 2" of 5 lb memory foam

This restonic is made in Springfield, MO by the McKinney Bedding Company.

Felt good, we spent well over 30 minutes on it and liked it a lot.

Hi vexter0944,

I don’t know the specs of the support layers that you didn’t include but they are not generally the weak link of a mattress and the layers that you listed are good quality. the gel memory foam is a “swirl” gel foam that is about 4 lbs (you may want to confirm this) and latex and 5 lb memory foam are also high quality materials.

The Reverie 5D base is also a good quality adjustable bed (I have owned the Reverie Deluxe/5D for over 3 years and I’m quite happy with it) and a mattress that is all foam like the Restonic you are looking at works well on an adjustable bed.

Overall there are no obvious weak links in your choices although I would be aware that 4 lb memory foam (gel or otherwise) is not as durable as latex or 5 lb memory foam … especially under heavier weights once you are past about 200 lbs or so … although many people choose it because they prefer its feel and performance.

Phoenix

Guys thanks for all the help - and the info!!

We ended up going with the Restonic and the Reverie 5D - and so far we’re VERY pleased - I slept like the DEAD on it last night.

We ended up getting the set for $4000 even out the door for everything - the mattress (the plush version), the 2 adj 5D frames, the 2 pillows (gel infused cool ones) and the mattress protector - so I think we did pretty good. If not please don’t laugh at us too hard - but I think the price was pretty fair for the whole set and all of the included items :wink: But so far the first nights sleep was outstanding!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and the people who weighed in on things and helped out. I plan on sending this forum link out to everyone in my office and passing along such an AWESOME resource. This has been a great help and we can’t say thanks enough for the help and info - it’s much appreciated!!!

Paypal donation made - thanks again!

Hi vester0944,

Thanks for letting us know about your final choice and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress (and adjustable bed) :slight_smile:

It sounds to me like you not only made a good quality choice but that it also is a good match for your needs and preferences as well which is the best of all worlds!

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you’ve had the chance to seep on it for a while.

Thank you for the donation as well … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix (and those contribute to this forum with their info as well!) - it made the research much easier. I did send out the forum to all my co-workers this morning and kudos to such a great site. I will put a reminder in my calendar to pop back in and report in around 30 days or so and let you guys know how the setup is doing. I hope my feedback will help others as everyone else’s helped me.

You’re welcome for the donation, you earned it!

Just curious did I do ok on the final cost out the door or was I par even? I am now more curious than anything of course…if you don’t know - no worried - just kind of pinging on it.

Thanks once again!!

Hi vexter,

I have a slightly different way of looking at things and look at the “value” of a purchase more than just the price of a mattress or other components or products that go with it because price alone is just one part of each person’s personal value equation (and sometimes not even the most important part). The value of a purchase is also dependent on the suitability of the mattress you choose in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and I would say that based on your comments this part of your purchase would be “great value”.

To make meaningful or more specific price comparisons though I would need to know more about what you paid for each part of the purchase separately and the specifics of all the layers in your mattress…

For the Reverie Deluxe adjustable bed … this would be a good value reference point for pricing.

I would then compare the price of the mattress only to the same or other similar mattresses that used similar materials that were available locally (or online if you were looking in that direction).

If you can let me know the model of the mattress you purchased and/or the specific layers (thickness, type, and quality of the foam layers), the other “finalists” you were considering, and any of the other factors in your personal value equation that were important to you (any other products that came with the mattress, delivery, exchange policies that they have, or any other factors or benefits that were important to you and would add “value” to your purchase) then I’d be happy to make a few more specific comments but overall I would say that even without knowing the details that I would need to make any meaningful “value” comparisons, the odds are high that you made a better quality/value purchase than most consumers that end up overpaying for a mainstream mattress that uses “questionable” materials in the mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix -

As always appreciate the input -

I did overpay for the frames by about $700 but like you said - sometimes cost is not everything - I needed it and needed now since my L5 S1 just re-ruptured and my old bed was killing me and I needed some serious rest/sleep. I paid $1500 for the mattress which overall I think is a pretty good buy - so I’m a little roughed up on the frames but for the mattress cost I think I made up for it and while I’m usually not a ‘gotta have it now’ kind of guy - this situation has forced my hand a little bit and getting it done asap was of more importance in this case. I think you’ve pretty much hit it on the head and I think I did just fine - the good news?? Those frames should last a long time and I think the longevity should offset the difference in the long run and just replacing a mattress down the road will be much easier on me when the time comes.

Reminder is in my calendar - promise to report back in 30 days!

Appreciate all the help and input - keep up the great work!!!

Hi vexter0944,

With the criteria you mentioned … it seems to me that based on your personal value equation you did well overall.

Based on the comfort layers you mentioned and on the price of the adjustable …

… I’d say you did well on the mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your “30 day report” … and thanks for your feedback along the way.

Phoenix