Need Help deciding a mattress

Hi HariS,

Unfortunately the specs you listed don’t contain any meaningful information that would make it possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials. I would also guess that the coils aren’t 11" thick so there are probably some additional layers that are missing in the description. If you can find out the information listed here and post it on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress. In many cases you may be more successful in finding out the information that you need from your retailer (who should be the ones providing this information to their customers anyway) instead of directly through Restonic because there are many wholesale manufacturers that don’t provide this information directly to consumers and will only provide it to their retailers through their reps.

If for any reason they are either unwilling or unable to provide the information you would need to make an informed choice and to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses I would pass the mattress by because buying a mattress where you don’t know the quality and durability of the materials inside it would be a very risky purchase.

These are all good quality materials that meet the minimum guidelines I would suggest for people that are in more “average” weight ranges although I would be cautious with this mattress for those that are in higher weight ranges (mid 200’s or higher). If you have confirmed that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and that it compares well to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

I don’t know the specifics of the protectors you are looking at so I really can’t make any comments about them but there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new). There is more about the type and quality of the materials in the Helix and the BestMattressEver along with many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic. Post #1 in the same topic would be well worth reading as well.

Both of them have great return/refund policies so you can try the mattress in your bedroom instead of testing it in a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend sleeping on it or returning it should that become necessary.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

I got a few more details on the Restonic mattress from the salesman at Sleep Doctor and from this link:

The salesman only gave me approximate thickness’s, but here is what he said:

-3-4" of 1.6lb/ft^3 density Tempagel
-1…7 lb/ft^3 comfort layer of foam (He said this was 0.25" thick, but that seemed a little thin to me)
-The remaining thickness is coils (860 coils) with the middle third having higher density wire and being 13 gauge, whereas near the head and feet, the gauge of the wire is 14 gauge.

Do you have any thoughts on the quality of the materials? I forgot to mention previously, I am 5’8", 175lbs. I have for most of my life slept on my stomach, but lately been trying to sleep more on my back.

He did say for $99 i get the Protect-A-Bed mattress protector. I went to their website, he didn’t specify which one id get, but based on price and the way he was describing it (basically saying how the company will give you a voucher for the entire price of the mattress if a stain gets through the protector), i assume its the luxury protector.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on all this. Thanks

Hi HariS,

[quote]-3-4" of 1.6lb/ft^3 density Tempagel
-1…7 lb/ft^3 comfort layer of foam (He said this was 0.25" thick, but that seemed a little thin to me)
-The remaining thickness is coils (860 coils) with the middle third having higher density wire and being 13 gauge, whereas near the head and feet, the gauge of the wire is 14 gauge.

Do you have any thoughts on the quality of the materials?[/quote]

I don’t think that these are the correct specs because the Tempagel gel memory foam layer would almost certainly have a higher density. If it really is 1.6 lb density then it would be an exceptionally low quality version of memory foam and I would avoid it.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Some protectors offer a warranty when you purchase them at the same time as a mattress (as part of the same purchase) but these can be very difficult to make claims against if you have an accident that soils the mattress because they will often claim that you didn’t use proper care instructions and deny coverage. In some if not most cases they will send you a cleaning kit so you can remove the stain yourself but for them to actually agree to replace your mattress would be very rare.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

So after laying on a bunch of different mattresses in store, I think I want to get a hybrid mattress, They feel a bit more supportive and I enjoy just a little bit of that sinking in feeling which i get from the foam top above the coils.

I got a chance to meet Greg from Capitol Bedding (he said I can say his name on this post), and I learned a lot about capitol bedding as a company, and I decided that I am going to get a bed from them. I still like the Restonic, but based on reading this forum and your replies, doesn’t look like I should get a mattress without having a clear definition of what is in the mattress.

Wanted to get your thoughts on the quality of the two hybrid mattresses from Capitol Bedding,

Enchantment

Miliken FR Shield (Not sure what that is but looks like a protective covering)
1" layer of Quiltflex foam (Not sure the density, but I can always ask)
1" layer of Gel Foam (Not sure the density, but I can always ask)
2.25" of 1.4lb convoluted foam
1" of 2.5lb foam
1080 pocket coils; 15.5 gage wire; 6.5 density foam encasement
1.25" 5.5lb base foam

Emerald Pillow Plush

Miliken FR Barrier
1" layer of gel foam
1" layer of 1.5lb foam
1.5" of 1.8lb convoluted foam
1" of 1.8lb latex foam
864 pocket coils; Doesn’t say gage but im assuming 15.5 based on the Enchantment; high density foam encased. doesn’t say density but i’m assuming similar to enchantment
1.25" of High Density foam (Again doesn’t say density unfortunately)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses Archived Footprint 2: Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses

Just FYI, Capitol Bedding said that the density of the foam will be the first two numbers of the foam listed in the Spec Sheet. Also, all their memory foam is 4lb (I assume she is referring to the gel foam listed in the spec sheet).

So wanted to get your thoughts on the quality of materials in these two mattresses if that is okay.

After laying on these mattresses, I personally liked Enchantment better, mainly because it had a really nice plush feel compared to the emerald. My girlfriend liked the emerald more, which was surprising because she is a side sleeper. I guess i don’t really see a problem with getting a more plushier mattress. I’m not sure if you have any thoughts on this. I have been sleeping more and more on my back than on my stomach.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi HariS,

[quote]Wanted to get your thoughts on the quality of the two hybrid mattresses from Capitol Bedding,

Enchantment (Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses)

1" layer of Quiltflex foam (Not sure the density, but I can always ask)
1" layer of Gel Foam (Not sure the density, but I can always ask)
2.25" of 1.4lb convoluted foam
1" of 2.5lb foam
1080 pocket coils; 15.5 gage wire; 6.5 density foam encasement
1.25" 5.5lb base foam[/quote]

I think that you may have listed the specs incorrectly.

I would want to know the type and density of the top 1" layer of gel foam.

It looks like the 2.24" layer of convoluted foam underneath it is 4.0 lb gel memory foam not 1.4 lb polyfoam. The “14” in the 14400 would most likely be the ILD/IFD of the gel memory foam. The bottom layer would probably be 1.25" of 1.5 lb polyfoam that is ultra firm (55 ILD/IFD) which would be fine as a bottom layer under the pocket coil.

Assuming that this is correct and that the top 1" layer (under the quilting layer) is a reasonable density that meets the minimum foam density guidelines then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress for those that are in more average weight ranges.

[quote]Emerald Pillow Plush (Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses)

Miliken FR Barrier
1" layer of gel foam
1" layer of 1.5lb foam
1.5" of 1.8lb convoluted foam
1" of 1.8lb latex foam
864 pocket coils; Doesn’t say gage but im assuming 15.5 based on the Enchantment; high density foam encased. doesn’t say density but i’m assuming similar to enchantment
1.25" of High Density foam (Again doesn’t say density unfortunately)[/quote]

Again I would want to know the type and density of the top 1" layer of gel foam but assuming that this layer is a reasonable density that also meets the minimum density guidelines then my comments about this mattress would be the same as the first one.

I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress so your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience is the only way to know for certain whether a mattress will be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP.

Having said that … if you are considering two mattresses that are both a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and one of them is a little firmer than the other and you really can’t decide between them then I would lean towards the one that is slightly firmer because it would be a little bit less risky. You can always soften up a mattress that is too firm with a mattress pad or a topper but it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft without removing and replacing comfort layers that are too thick or soft or a support core that is too soft.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

I got more details on the two mattresses. You were correct with the densities of the memory foam, but i figured id post both mattresses, top down, just to get and idea of wuality of materials again. I also included the price I would be paying for these mattresses, to see if you’d be able to compare “value” vs. quality of materials. I still need to do some more reading on posture and alignment when laying on mattress so i can test the two mattresses out in store and see if i can feel/see a difference. Bu anyways here are the specs:

Enchantment ($1060)

1" layer of Quiltflex foam (foam used for quilting)
1" layer of Gel Foam (1lb density)
2.25" of convoluted foam (4lb density)
1" of foam (2.5lb density)
1080 fully nested pocket coil unit; 15.5 gage wire; The pocket coil units are foam-encased with 1.6 density rails
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

Emerald Pillow Plush ($760)

Miliken FR Shield (I assume a Fire Resistant barrier)
1" layer of gel foam (1lb density)
1" layer of foam (1.5lb density)
2.25" of convoluted foam (1.8lb density)
1" of latex infused foam ( not sure of density, all i was told said was soft)
864 center-nested pocket coil unit (head/foot will be a traditional soldier lined coils); 15.5 gage wire; The pocket coil units are foam-encased with 1.6 density rails
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

Hope that helps. Hopefully you can comment on price vs. quality of materials :wink:

Both mattresses felt very comfortable, the Enchantment contoured around my body more which made me like it a bit more but I will read more on the posture and alignment and see if I can get a clearer picture when i go try them out again.

I was also told that getting the foundation to these mattresses are recommended. My box spring is only 4 years old (my mattress is much older, but I replaced the box spring more recently), and wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not i should get the foundation with the mattress… The prices listed above are the prices for the mattress only.

Thanks again so much for all the advice

I included an extra layer of gel foam by accident in the Emerald specs. HEre is the correct info. Sorry

Hey Phoenix,

I got more details on the two mattresses. You were correct with the densities of the memory foam, but i figured id post both mattresses, top down, just to get and idea of wuality of materials again. I also included the price I would be paying for these mattresses, to see if you’d be able to compare “value” vs. quality of materials. I still need to do some more reading on posture and alignment when laying on mattress so i can test the two mattresses out in store and see if i can feel/see a difference. Bu anyways here are the specs:

Enchantment ($1060)

1" layer of Quiltflex foam (foam used for quilting)
2.25" of convoluted foam (4lb density)
1" of foam (2.5lb density)
1080 fully nested pocket coil unit; 15.5 gage wire; The pocket coil units are foam-encased with 1.6 density rails
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

Emerald Pillow Plush ($760)

Miliken FR Shield (I assume a Fire Resistant barrier)
1" layer of gel foam (1lb density)
1" layer of foam (1.5lb density)
1.5" of convoluted foam (1.8lb density)
Quilted inner cover
1" of latex infused foam ( not sure of density, all i was told said was soft)
864 center-nested pocket coil unit (head/foot will be a traditional soldier lined coils); 15.5 gage wire; The pocket coil units are foam-encased with 1.6 density rails
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

HariS wrote:

My guess is you have these densities mixed up. The memory foam would more than likely be 4# and the quilt foam more than likely 1#.

Hi HariS,

This is the fire barrier that is used to pass the fire regulations.

As Jeff mentioned I also think that the specs you posted in your last two replies are probably incorrect so I would confirm the correct specs before you make a final purchase choice.

While price is certainly one of the more important parts of “value” … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The first step though it to get the correct specifications.

Phoenix

Hey Guys,

Apologies for all the back and forth with specs on the mattresses: Here is what Capiol Bedding emailed me on the specs:

“The gel foam that we quilt with is 1 lb. The 2.25” layer in the Enchantment is 4 lb. All our quiltflex foam we quilt with is 1.2 density."

The 2.25" layer is the convoluted foam underneath the gel foam (based on the spec sheet).

Let me know if you have any thoughts,

Thanks again

Hi HariS,

I’m still a little bit uncertain about all the layers but if I understand correctly the specs for the Enchantment are …

1" layer of Quiltflex polyfoam 1.2 lb
1" layer of gel infused polyfoam 1.0 lb
2.25" of convoluted memory foam 4lb
1" of polyfoam 2.5lb density
1.25" 1.8lb polyfoam

And for the Emerald Pillow Plush are …

1" layer of gel infused polyfoam 1lb density
1" layer of polyfoam 1.5lb
1.5" of convoluted polyfoam 1.8lb
1" of latex infused polyfoam 1.8 lb
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

Can you confirm that every layer I listed is correct?

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix.

The Enchantment specs are correct. Here is the spec sheet for referenace:

For the Emerald Pillow Plush, I am not sure of the density of the latex infused polyfoam. According to the Spec sheet it says 1" of FT18200 latex infused foam and Capitol Bedding said the first two numbers refer to the density so that why I put 1.8lb. but that 18 could be referring to the ILD as well. Every other specification on that mattress is correct and been confirmed by Capitol Bedding.

So here is the specs on the Emerald Pillow Plush as i know them:

1" layer of gel infused polyfoam 1lb density
1" layer of polyfoam 1.5lb
1.5" of convoluted polyfoam 1.8lb
1" of FT18200 latex infused polyfoam (density unknown, possibly 18ILD)
1.25" 1.8lb base foam

Here is the Spec sheet for reference:

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses Archived Footprint 2: Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses

Hope this is more informative. Apologies for the back and forth about specs.

Hi HariS,

The best source for the mattress “quality specs” you need to know is generally the retailer that is selling the mattress (assuming that they are knowledgeable enough to know their importance in the first place which many aren’t) and they are the ones that should be finding out the specs for you through their reps. This isn’t something that a customer should need to “track down” by emailing or calling the manufacturer directly and in many cases a wholesale manufacturer isn’t set up to deal with direct customer enquiries and the reps for a retailer will often be able to provide information that isn’t available to consumers.

I treat “unknown” foam density in the same way as “low quality/density” materials because it’s the only safe assumption to make and if you haven’t confirmed the density of all the layers in a mattress from a reliable source without having to “translate it yourself” then I would avoid the mattress.

If the specs I listed in my last reply are correct then I would consider both mattresses to be a little below the minimums that I would normally suggest in terms of the quality and durability of the materials (although they would be better than most of the major brands).

In the case of the Enchantment there are 2" of foam that is less than 1.8 lb density which is “on the borderline” of the thickness where I would have some concern about durability and then the 2.25" of 4 lb memory foam underneath it is convoluted which would make it less durable than a solid layer of the same material (see post #2 here about convoluted foam). I would be cautious about this mattress although if you are in a lighter weight range it would probably be “just OK” but the durability and useful life of the mattress would be less than a mattress that used higher quality materials or had thinner layers of lower quality/density materials in the top layers of the mattress.

In the case of the Emerald Pillow Plush my comments would be similar. The top 2" are also less than the minimum 1.8 lb density I would normally suggest and 2" is also a little bit thicker than “about an inch or so” that I would normally use as the maximum amount of lower quality/density materials in the upper layers of a mattress (although they are slightly higher quality density than the top 2" in the enchantment) and the 1.8 lb polyfoam underneath this is also convoluted which would reduce its durability as well. The density of the layer underneath this is “unknown” but it’s probably either 1.8 lb or 2.0 lb polyfoam which meets the minimum density guidelines. Again this would probably be “just OK” if you are in lower weight ranges but would be less than I would generally suggest.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Thanks for all the information. I want to give you background on why I like like Capitol Bedding more so than any other retailer here in the Lansing area. First off out of all the retailers i went to in Lansing, they were the most helpful when it came to telling me about the beds. Also, they didn’t try to sell me the beds and were very honest with me about everything. The store owner of Mattress Source (lansingbeds.com) used to work at Capitol Bedding and was also willing to give me a large discount on the beds to help me stay withing my budget, which I really appreciated.

Through this forum, I learned about purecraftedbeds.com (Found out they are Capitol Bedding, just online sales for Capitol Bedding) and I got to meet Capitol Bedding owner’s son, and got a tour of the factory, and he showed all the foams/materials they use in their mattresses and he seemed very knowledgeable about the mattress industry and even knew about you! :slight_smile: He told me to email his sister if I had any questions about Capitol Bedding mattresses because he dealt directly with purecraftedbeds.com mattresses. So I emailed her and she gave me all the information about the Enchantment and the Emerald Pillow Plush and seemed like she was totally open to as many questions about specifications and very transparent about the materials. I guess i just appreciated the willingness to help and inform me about those beds more so than I did from any other retailer here. Everybody else was trying to sell me the mattress purely based on comfort and didn’t have a clue about the specs of the mattresses.

Back to your comments, I am around 175lb, so I hope that falls into your lighter weight range. I know this probably isn’t the correct way to think about a mattress purchase, but currently I am not married and live in an apartment. The reason I am getting a new mattress is because my current mattress is around 17 years old (It is a sealy pillow top), and I figured it is time for a change. I’m hoping this new mattress I get lasts me for around 7-10 years so when I get married and I move into a house, I can upgrade to a bigger and higher quality of a mattress. Again, probably not the right way to think about it, but that is my thought process. Please feel free to tell me if I am being an idiot thinking this way :slight_smile:

Based on all the mattresses I have tried the only other mattresses I would consider would be the the Bed in a box mattresses, more specifically Brooklyn Bedding best mattress ever or Helix Sleep (I like the idea of having a custom-made mattress). Would the quality of materials in these mattresses be better than the two Capitol Bedding mattresses? Also, I read your post on those bed in a box mattresses, is there one company that you would recommend over the rest?

Thanks and let me know if you have any comments on the narrative I wrote about my mattress shopping experience!

Hari

Hi HariS,

Like you I also think highly of Capitol Bedding and it’s always refreshing to see a manufacturer that is transparent about the materials inside their mattress.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for any specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

Since you are in an average weight range and the specs of the mattresses are just under the guidelines I would normally suggest it would be reasonable to “expect” that it may last you a little less than 7 - 10 years although the only way to know for certain how long any specific person will sleep well on any mattress will be based on your own actual experience.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

When comparing the specs of the Capitol Bedding mattresses to the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever, would you say that Brooklyn Bedding uses higher quality materials in their mattress compared to Capitol Bedding?

Also, since it seems like the quality of the materials are similar in both the Enchantment and the Emerald Pillow Plush, the main difference I felt when laying on the two is the softness. I can remedy that in the Emerald Pillow Plush with a mattress topper correct? And would that mattress topper possibly increase the lifespan of the mattress?

Hi HariS,

Capitol Bedding makes a range of different mattresses so it’s not possible to compare all their individual mattresses to a single mattress without more specifics. It would also depend on how you define “quality” because the two mattresses you are considering are in a completely different category from the BestMattressEver (see this article). While I can’t speak to which mattress would be a better “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … in terms of durability the BestMattressEver uses latex in the top layers of the mattress and latex is a more durable material than the materials that are in the top layers of the two Capitol Bedding mattresses you mentioned.

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb much of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

Phoenix

Hari,

It’s Greg here, and I just wanted to chime in real quick. I hope you are learning quite a bit from Phoenix and I know he won’t steer you in the wrong direction.

The first thing I want to point out is that in the Capitol Bedding mattresses you looked at, the 1" gel foam is quilted into the cover for both of those mattresses! That layer is not at all meant to be a support layer, but merely exists for surface feel. That particular gel foam is of lower density simply because you could never put a high density gel foam through a quilting machine without breaking it! Again, that 1" layer is simply meant for surface feel and is quilted into the cover.

In regards to quality / durability vs price, that’s a difficult area sometimes. It’s exceedingly difficult to find highly durable mattresses at lower price points. It’s simple economics that more durable materials (for the most part) cost a bit more. As I told you when you visited the factory, we set up Pure Crafted Beds to do one thing: sell the BEST foam mattress that we can make. That mattress is ultra-durable in our minds, and then has the added bonus of that EcoShield cover… but it comes at a price. However one thing we have always tried to do is provide VALUE at any price point. At $1499 in a queen size, the Pure Crafted Beds provide exceptional value. We doubt many other online stores would ever attempt to sell that exact mattress construction at that price point.

The same goes for our Capitol Bedding mattresses. Are the mattresses you looked at and referenced in this thread the most durable? No. But we believe they are the best value at their prospective price points, for their hybrid constructions. We certainly make more durable mattresses, but they cost more.

As Phoenix will attest to, foam and hybrid mattresses typically have very different feels to them, and that should be expected. Comparing a hybrid mattress to a foam construction mattress at the same price point doesn’t necessarily work. We can probably construct a more durable foam mattress (some combination of latex, memory foam, conventional foam) for price $X than we can for a hybrid at that same price $X. That’s simply because most foam mattresses have far simpler constructions, less labor to create, etc. There are so many other factors as well, such as the fabric / cover. A lot of our Capitol Bedding mattresses use higher quality fabrics and feature taped edges, sewn-in handles, more tailoring, etc. Most all mattresses found online have simple zippered covers. Now, they’re not ALL bad covers, but they do this to keep costs down, and quite honestly most of them will never match the durability of a traditional tailored mattress.

Again, if it were me I would first determine if I wanted a hybrid or foam mattress. Then once you’ve figured that out, I would comparison shop. At each price point, what does each manufacturer put into their mattress…?

This is why mattress shopping is so horrible for so many people. There are just so many options, and types of mattresses! Sorry for the long message here, and I certainly hope Phoenix will correct me if I’ve mis-stated anything along the way!

Greg Beuerle

Hey Guys,

First off thank you for all the information on mattresses. I went ahead and locked in the price for the Emerald Pillow Plush mattress. I’m not getting the mattress for a few more months but wanted to keep that price. I decided to get a hybrid mattress because I couldn’t find a perfect memory foam mattress that hit the spot for me when lying on them. It either felt like a table or was too soft (which I enjoyed, but kept reading things about you should lean to a firmer mattress). And between all the hybrids, the emerald pillow plush was comfortable and saved me a few hundred bucks in the process. It was also the customer service i received from Capitol Bedding. Out of every place i went to in the mid-Michigan area, they were the one store who did not try to “sell” me a mattress and rather just let me try out all the mattresses in the store and let me decide. I didn’t feel pressured at all and they were extremely knowledgeable about the industry and their products. After talking to them the first time I walked into that store, I kinda knew I was going to end up buying from them, Just wanted to throw in a little bit of how much i truly appreciated Capitol Bedding! :slight_smile:

Anyways, onto other mattress-related things. While I was at the store, the bed was on an adjust-able frame, and I am kind of interested in buying an adjustable bed frame. I read on the site, that it is a luxury and part of me agrees, but at the same time when putting the head and legs up I was breathing much easier. My worry is with if it’d be okay to use an adjustable bed frame with a hybrid mattress. I feel like the force on the springs would wear out the mattress quicker than on a pure foam mattress which has more durable materials (spring vs foam). IS my thinking wrong? Any brands/companies you recommend on adjustable bed frames?

Also, they had these pillows from Blu sleep products:

And they are very nice to sleep on, but I have never spent more than $20 on a pillow so when hearing that it was $100, I thought it was a waste of money. But every store I’ve been to has had those pillows and rave about them. Are they really that great? Are they really worth $100?
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: blusleepproducts.com/en/pillows/products/nature-collection.php

Thanks!

Hi HariS,

Thanks for your comments and feedback about Capitol Bedding and for letting us know what you ended up deciding (although you haven’t quite purchased it yet). While it may be a little bit early or premature … assuming you decide to pull the trigger when the time comes … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I certainly wouldn’t assume that innersprings are less durable than polyfoam because this wouldn’t necessarily be accurate but either way … the deeper support layers of a mattress aren’t normally the weakest link of a mattress anyway.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

There can certainly be some physical benefits in some cases that comes with sleeping in an elevated position.

Most pocket coil mattresses work well with an adjustable bed but I would check with Capitol Bedding just to make sure.

A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here.

They use good quality materials and it would certainly be worth it if one of their pillows did a better job of keeping your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and if you liked the “feel” of the pillow more than other pillows that are less costly. If you didn’t then of course they wouldn’t be worth it no matter what the price.

Phoenix