Need Help deciding a mattress

Hari,

It’s Greg here, and I just wanted to chime in real quick. I hope you are learning quite a bit from Phoenix and I know he won’t steer you in the wrong direction.

The first thing I want to point out is that in the Capitol Bedding mattresses you looked at, the 1" gel foam is quilted into the cover for both of those mattresses! That layer is not at all meant to be a support layer, but merely exists for surface feel. That particular gel foam is of lower density simply because you could never put a high density gel foam through a quilting machine without breaking it! Again, that 1" layer is simply meant for surface feel and is quilted into the cover.

In regards to quality / durability vs price, that’s a difficult area sometimes. It’s exceedingly difficult to find highly durable mattresses at lower price points. It’s simple economics that more durable materials (for the most part) cost a bit more. As I told you when you visited the factory, we set up Pure Crafted Beds to do one thing: sell the BEST foam mattress that we can make. That mattress is ultra-durable in our minds, and then has the added bonus of that EcoShield cover… but it comes at a price. However one thing we have always tried to do is provide VALUE at any price point. At $1499 in a queen size, the Pure Crafted Beds provide exceptional value. We doubt many other online stores would ever attempt to sell that exact mattress construction at that price point.

The same goes for our Capitol Bedding mattresses. Are the mattresses you looked at and referenced in this thread the most durable? No. But we believe they are the best value at their prospective price points, for their hybrid constructions. We certainly make more durable mattresses, but they cost more.

As Phoenix will attest to, foam and hybrid mattresses typically have very different feels to them, and that should be expected. Comparing a hybrid mattress to a foam construction mattress at the same price point doesn’t necessarily work. We can probably construct a more durable foam mattress (some combination of latex, memory foam, conventional foam) for price $X than we can for a hybrid at that same price $X. That’s simply because most foam mattresses have far simpler constructions, less labor to create, etc. There are so many other factors as well, such as the fabric / cover. A lot of our Capitol Bedding mattresses use higher quality fabrics and feature taped edges, sewn-in handles, more tailoring, etc. Most all mattresses found online have simple zippered covers. Now, they’re not ALL bad covers, but they do this to keep costs down, and quite honestly most of them will never match the durability of a traditional tailored mattress.

Again, if it were me I would first determine if I wanted a hybrid or foam mattress. Then once you’ve figured that out, I would comparison shop. At each price point, what does each manufacturer put into their mattress…?

This is why mattress shopping is so horrible for so many people. There are just so many options, and types of mattresses! Sorry for the long message here, and I certainly hope Phoenix will correct me if I’ve mis-stated anything along the way!

Greg Beuerle

Hey Guys,

First off thank you for all the information on mattresses. I went ahead and locked in the price for the Emerald Pillow Plush mattress. I’m not getting the mattress for a few more months but wanted to keep that price. I decided to get a hybrid mattress because I couldn’t find a perfect memory foam mattress that hit the spot for me when lying on them. It either felt like a table or was too soft (which I enjoyed, but kept reading things about you should lean to a firmer mattress). And between all the hybrids, the emerald pillow plush was comfortable and saved me a few hundred bucks in the process. It was also the customer service i received from Capitol Bedding. Out of every place i went to in the mid-Michigan area, they were the one store who did not try to “sell” me a mattress and rather just let me try out all the mattresses in the store and let me decide. I didn’t feel pressured at all and they were extremely knowledgeable about the industry and their products. After talking to them the first time I walked into that store, I kinda knew I was going to end up buying from them, Just wanted to throw in a little bit of how much i truly appreciated Capitol Bedding! :slight_smile:

Anyways, onto other mattress-related things. While I was at the store, the bed was on an adjust-able frame, and I am kind of interested in buying an adjustable bed frame. I read on the site, that it is a luxury and part of me agrees, but at the same time when putting the head and legs up I was breathing much easier. My worry is with if it’d be okay to use an adjustable bed frame with a hybrid mattress. I feel like the force on the springs would wear out the mattress quicker than on a pure foam mattress which has more durable materials (spring vs foam). IS my thinking wrong? Any brands/companies you recommend on adjustable bed frames?

Also, they had these pillows from Blu sleep products:

And they are very nice to sleep on, but I have never spent more than $20 on a pillow so when hearing that it was $100, I thought it was a waste of money. But every store I’ve been to has had those pillows and rave about them. Are they really that great? Are they really worth $100?
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: blusleepproducts.com/en/pillows/products/nature-collection.php

Thanks!

Hi HariS,

Thanks for your comments and feedback about Capitol Bedding and for letting us know what you ended up deciding (although you haven’t quite purchased it yet). While it may be a little bit early or premature … assuming you decide to pull the trigger when the time comes … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I certainly wouldn’t assume that innersprings are less durable than polyfoam because this wouldn’t necessarily be accurate but either way … the deeper support layers of a mattress aren’t normally the weakest link of a mattress anyway.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

There can certainly be some physical benefits in some cases that comes with sleeping in an elevated position.

Most pocket coil mattresses work well with an adjustable bed but I would check with Capitol Bedding just to make sure.

A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here.

They use good quality materials and it would certainly be worth it if one of their pillows did a better job of keeping your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and if you liked the “feel” of the pillow more than other pillows that are less costly. If you didn’t then of course they wouldn’t be worth it no matter what the price.

Phoenix