Need help deciding on a mattress

Hi utgg1977.

Welcome to our forum :slight_smile:

TMU is implementing a new design element – Talk to the Experts and while it is under construction, we have eliminated New Topics so we can effectively service consumer members and manage the increased workload demand. We are excited about how “Talk to the Experts” will improve TMU. More information will be forthcoming over the next few weeks.

Although it’s a work-in-progress, you can now connect with any of the Expert Members on TMU as they are set up and functional on the Talk to the Experts.
When you reply to any Expert Member blog posts or articles, a new thread will be created and a new topic added on our forum. TMU Expert Members will be happily assisting you in addition to Phoenix.

We look forward to helping you.
Phoenix

Hey Sounders1,

I’m quite enjoying the Aurora at this point. My boyfriend still sweats some nights - but I think this is due to him just running quite hot normally. He definitely doesn’t sweat as much as he used to. I have no problems with the bed, and it stays cool for me. We went with medium and it’s squishy and both supportive for us. I’m curious what you decided to go with? Please let me know :slight_smile:

Hey Pheonix,

I saw that you mentioned Brooklyn Bedding is no longer a member of TMU. I was curious as to why that is? I want to know if there’s anything I should worry about with the company, thank you.

Hi vsteele,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your “squishy and supportive” mattress. :slight_smile: !

You are correct Brooklyn bedding is no longer a member of the TMU.
This was a business decision and it would be inappropriate to discuss it.

I look forward to any new comments you may have after sleeping on your mattress a while longer.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Another thread hijack but it is the same topic and brands discussed. I’ve been lost in this vast sea of online mattress reviews while slowly discovering how the business works and why I can’t base my opinion on the online reviews. Your site is the first one that has zero bias so great job with that!

I’ve read everything and have narrowed it down to 2 choice and would love your input. I know and understand that it’s subjective but I just need an experienced and knowledgeable opinion. I am 6ft tall and 260 lbs, I’m just a heavy guy and not really curvy as I play sports and lift weights. I’m mostly a back and stomach sleeper and have been sleeping on an Ikea Sultan mattress that I bought in 2007 which is sagging a lot (I was 285 lbs at my highest before losing weight).

Novosbed (Firm option) vs Nestbedding (The Alexander Signature Hybrid)
Would you suggest the medium or luxury firm Nestbedding?
Both are equally priced at $1099 CAD
Which would be more supportive for my weight?
I prefer a firmer type bed with just a little sinkage
The Nestbedding is 14" which to me gives it an advantage (yes I know they’re different materials).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: What do you think of the Alexander Signature Hybrid? Just saw that it has coils and foam.

Hi juveman.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

No problem … I am used to “hijacked” threads … it may be like this for a little longer until we finish working on the back end on the new features.

Thank you for your appreciative comments, we enjoy doing things the right way.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Having only a few pounds less is much better all the way around … both sleepwise and healthwise. :slight_smile:

High BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. Because the combination of your 35 BMI with prone and back sleeping positions the same overall guidelines would apply especially to you in order to achieve the needed PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high-quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading. All in all, regardless of the materials you prefer I would make sure to use something using appropriate, firmer, and higher density foams.

Post #2 here has some generic guidelines for different body types and sleeping positions, and post #14 here has more about the benefits of thicker comfort layers and thicker mattresses (most of these are in the tutorial post but I thought I’d highlight them here as well.

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

A mattress needs to have deeper layers that are “firm enough” to stop the heavier parts of your body from sinking down too far and make sure you sleep with your spine and joints in good alignment and upper layers that are thick and soft enough to “allow” any pressure points such as the hips and shoulders to sink down far enough to relieve pressure points in all your sleeping positions as well but “firm enough” and “soft enough” can vary widely from person to person.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

You can read about the Novosbed product specifications here, Based upon the information you presented here, I would imagine that Nest would recommend their Luxury firm, but you’d definitely want to have a more detailed phone conversation with them. Both Nest Bedding and Novosbed are vetted members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. Based on your conversation with them and your own careful assessment of suitability for your higher weight and prone sleeping position, I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a mattress from either of them.

I would agree with you that the firmer options may be better for you perhaps more thickness to play with as well.
As this is such a personal choice and only you can feel what you feel on the mattress I could not tell you if tell if the memory foam choice would be appropriate and I would be concerned about sinking into it too deeply when on sleeping on your stomach.

Generally speaking, the thickness of a mattress is a byproduct of design, but people that have much higher body weights or larger body types may choose more than the “average” thickness and may prefer the feel and extra adaptability of say 12" of latex. Thicker mattresses can also use firmer materials because thickness and softness are very related and work together. Thickness and softness work together and because thicker layers (or mattresses) can have a greater range of compression and are more “adaptable” … it’s also possible to use firmer top layers in a thicker mattress and still have good pressure relief because of the greater range of compression of the thicker mattress which can create a mattress with a firmer “surface feel” but that still provides good pressure relief and adapts well to the body contours.

Hopefully, this gives you enough information to help with your research.
I would be interested to hear back from you to learn what you decided and I or any other Expert Member of the site would be glad assist you with any questions that you may have.

Phoenix.

Hello again Phoenix,

Appreciate your reply. Based on your recommended densities for my weight, doesn’t that eliminate the Novosbed?

Another question which I messed up on my original post was whether to go for the all foam Alexander Signature or the hybrid version with coils? I know it’s a different feel but I’m referring to my weight. Which would offer better support for my weight in your opinion?

The advantage of the Novosbed is that it is Canadian and they offer the comfort kit while I’ve read some issues with NestBedding mattress returns. But if the minimum specs required eliminate the Novosbed then I will go with Nest Bedding.

Hi juveman.

You are welcome!

You are correct, I placed a slight caution for this mattress as this will not be as durable for higher weight ranges.

I would first take into account that all the layers in a mattress work together and will affect the overall feel and performance of the mattress. Because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress as there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique only to you, in the end, it would be left to you to decide which feel you like best. Both innersprings and a poly foam core can be used as a support layer and each has very “different” characteristics, but besides the more obvious ones the most important differences are the ones you can feel and that you personally prefer. Both of them come in softer or firmer versions and in many different designs so an innerspring could be firmer than a poly core and more supportive or the other way around depending on the specifics of the components you are comparing.

Generally speaking for higher BMI ranges I usually recommend spring or latex support layers but I would rely on the advice of Nestbedding themselves as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs, the type of springs they have and the materials in the componentry than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, along the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that are higher BMI.

There is more about the 4 main types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and if you decide to look at a latex core then there is more detailed information about innersprings vs latex support cores in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/all-latex-versus-latex-top-on-inner-spring-mattresspost #2 here [/url]

Phoenix

Hello,

Not sure if I am posting the correct place but have not been able to find much about the nest Alexander Hybrid Luxury Contour as it appears to be a newer model? Any weak links in this? I have struggled to find a good mattress for years. Thinking this may be a good option because I like some push back from the coils but softness of memory foam. I sleep hot and am a side sleep - about 160 pounds. Any thoughts on this new Nest?

Hi Rosenthal311.

I am sure that given your experience with the Vi-Spring mattress (that you were mentioning in your previous post) you have now a few more data points as to what direction you wish to go with your new mattress, but I would do an internal checkup to make sure that anything you are considering does not come from a tendency to go with the pendulum swing from “too firm” to “too soft” and to test and have a detailed conversation with a trusted manufacturer or retailer that has your best interests at heart and sells their products based on suitability rather than profitability.

As you’re aware Nest is one of our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. You are correct that Nest’s Alexander Luxury Contour is a new 2017 addition to Nest’s lines. This mattress was designed to be quite plush and comes in a single firmness choice. From top to bottom the layers and specs are:
Comfort Layers:

• [li]1.5" x 2.5 lb. 2.5 lb. Copper Phase Change Gel Memory Foam (even though it is “an inch or so” this would be a little on the lower end on the Memory Foam durability scale that I usually recommend for the uppermost layer of the product which tends to undergo the most mechanical stress.
  • 2" x 3 lb. Soft Energex Foam ( Energex is a high-quality polyfoam, one of the newer generation of what I term " high-performance polyfoams" and it is formulated to have different and more desirable properties than more conventional polyfoam and can approximate some of the more desirable properties of latex or memory foam (depending on the specific formulation). With their higher densities, they are all durable products.
  • 1" x 4 lb. Visco Soft Memory Foam (this falls within the durability guidelines for your weight range)

Support layers

[ul]
[li]3" x 1300 Micro Coil System[/li]
[li]4" x High-Density Foam Edge Support Core (Usually 1.5 lb and a higher a IFD is good option for your weight range)[/li][/ul]

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

As far as temperature goes, While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system.

Side sleepers generally need a bit more pressure point relief on the surface to accommodate the wider dimensional variances between the shoulders and the hips and the waist. There’s a bit more about different sleeping positions here .
in post #2 here. A good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there.

Good luck with your research and I’m looking forward to your feedback and any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I know you recommended 5lbs memory foam for higher BMI and I’m wandering if you the think the Nest Alexander Hybrid (luxury firm) specs are good enough for someone heavy like me? They’re using 4 and 4.5 lb for the memory foam but wandering if the fact that it’s a hybrid then it would be good enough?

1.5" 4lb Gel Infused Memory Foam
1.5" TitanChil Endurance Foam
1.5" 4.5lb Slow recovery memory foram
1" 3lb SmartFlow Support Foam
8" Quantum Edge pocketed support coils (not sure about specs)

You told me to contact them directly. I first tried the chat but the person would take over 10 minutes to answer each time. I was then asked to call on the phone so I did but got nothing out of the call. All this doesn’t matter to me as long as the mattress specs are quality enough for my 6ft 260lbs body.

I’m a bit worried about the return procedure. They have a couple of negative reviews when it comes to returning the mattress. It always takes a negative review for the owner to finally come and get it sorted it out because now it’s damaging the company’s public image. But the fact that they’re a member of your site, give me peace of mind.

Hi juveman.

Whether the support core of the mattress is innerspring or not would not influence or change the durability guidelines for higher BMI and only the firm version of the Alexander Nest Hybrid would probably be the best for higher weight ranges, but as I often advise, you may wish to place a phone call directly to Nest Bedding with your concerns and ask both about the returns to Canada and about their thoughts on if this product would be suitable for you as the foams are a bit less than what is normally recommended for people with higher BMI. They will know more about their mattresses and how they respond to a wider group of individuals than anyone else. I also don’t have the density of their TitanChill foam for this product and although I expect that it has the appropriate density for higher weight ranges, but I would still want to find this out.

I recently used several times their Canada chat version and got a prompt reply, so it may have been the one off for you, but I would recommend that you call them again and speak directly rather than use the chat option. (Their toll-free phone number is 1-888-992-2001)

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I did what you said and called again, thinking the first 2 times were just an one off like you said. I ask about the hybrid in luxury firm and my concern about the weight, she answers a generic “I think the mattress will be good but the hybrid latex is way better”. I tell her it’s out of my budget and then asked about the density of the TitanChill foam. She didn’t know what that was then went through some papers and read me the densities of all the foams in the mattress. The densities she’s reading me are all wrong (1.5 lbs and 3.8 lbs), so I tell her that’s not what the website says. She’s confused and reads them again. Still wrong so she goes to the website and says she needs to ask her manager, who isn’t there, about the discrepancies between her manual and the website. She just took my name and number and is going to get back to me tomorrow apparently.

Poor girl, this has nothing to do with her but how can NestBedding be this amateurish? To go from your incredibly detailed website and the other knowledable suppliers on here to that just threw me off. Three times I have contacted them with my credit card ready but I’m going to have to look at something else now.

I’ll look for other hybrids myself but if you know any good suggestions that are similar in prices to Nest, please let me know.

The only mattress with high density materials within the $1000 budget seems to be the KISS mattress although it’s not a hybrid.

I do feel badly for many of the customer service representatives, as they quite often are answering multiple questions at the same time and it can be very confusing for them with all of the specifications and different comfort levels for mattresses with similar names.

Regarding the TitanChill foam, if it is similar to what BB uses it could be in a similar 3.5 lb range, but you’d of course want to confirm that. For a higher BMI, the Luxury Firm would probably be your best choice, and the latex hybrid even better, so the advice the representative offered wasn’t bad there. Hopefully they will get back to you with specifications, even though you’re not considering the mattress any longer. Please share it with the forum if they do in case others have a similar question.

Regarding other mattresses using foams more appropriate for a higher BMI, there are more than the KISS, but it’s not a listing that I maintain nor could provide, with over 500 mattress companies here domestically. It’s just something you’ll have to do a bit more searching upon. At least you are taking the time to analyze componentry, which is very important, so it’s good that you’re taking the time beforehand to accomplish that. Maybe there are others on the forum who can provide you with more specific suggestions.

Please forgive me for “hijacking” this thread as well. I had a response written out on my Flexus thread, but lost it and figured that since I’m not keeping the latex mattress, I’d put that thread to bed :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a similar question to Juveman, but I’m now looking for an innerspring or hybrid mattress. I’m a female side sleeper with a BMI of 27 and carry my weight in my hips. For years, I slept on a “pillowtop” innerspring mattress of unknown specs. I prefer a plush, in the bed feel but need support for my hips and lower back.

My Flexus latex mattress is 3 layers of dunlop medium with a 3" soft talalay comfort layer but I will be returning it because no matter how I arrange it, I wake up with lower back pain. I initially ordered it with a firm bottom layer but that was too firm for me so I swapped it for a medium layer and arranged them so the smoother, more firm sides of the dunlop were all facing up. I didn’t wake up with much pain but I just didn’t find it plush enough or comfortable enough for me. So I flipped all of the dunlop layers so that the more flexible sides were all facing up. This made it softer but now I wake up with bad lower back pain that lasts throughout the day.

So now I’m back at square one, but this time resuming my innerspring or hybrid mattress search. Previously, I was able to visit a Nest showroom to look at the Alexander Hybrid in what I think was the medium option. I liked it after about an hour of lying in it but was concerned that it would be too firm for me in the long run.

So I’m considering the Alexander Hybrid, Winkbed, or the Tomorrow sleep. Saatva was in the running but I’ve seen mixed experiences with indentations forming as well as issues with dealing with the company for exchanges and refunds. They also charge a $99 return fee. Nest asks that you donate the bed if you want a refund, so that would also be a little bit of a headache if that one didn’t work out either. The Winkbed seems that it will be too thick for me at 14.5" and I can’t find much in the way of real life experiences with Tomorrow Sleep as a company.

I’ve gone through the wealth of information on this site regarding BMI and foam densities etc as well as I can but there is a lot that is over my head. I’m still not sure how to ask these questions when shopping around. Also, I’ve chosen these online retailers simply because they are the most convenient. The general impression I’ve gotten, however, is that online retailers are risky since they are so new and mostly “one size fits all” and that big box stores are risky since the quality of these top 5 mattress companies is questionable. Any advice on where to look or affirmation that I’m on the right track would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I researched the local mattress shop in my neighborhood and they seem knowledgeable and like they have a decent trial period/return policy. They also offer a few different hybrid options. I plan on stopping there as well as Nest this week.

Hi Jeff,

I understand what you’re saying and I’m really not a picky person nor am I expecting them to throw me red carpet. Despite poor customer service, I was still willing to get the mattress. But when you call 3 times and get amateur answers every single time, something is off here. I promise you that I am not being picky. They sell six mattresses, it can’t be that difficult to know your stuff :slight_smile:

As for hybrids with high density materials, please suggest some manufacturers that ship to Canada. I can’t find anything in that $1000 range (almost $1400 CAD). Thanks for your input!

Hi juveman,

I don’t think anyone is implying you are picky or expecting a red carpet (certainly I wasn’t), but it unfortunately does happen that you sometimes get poor information from the customer service people, especially with all of the different versions of the models some companies offer. Hopefully they will get back to you with the correct information, which you of course would want before making any decisions.

Regarding companies that ship to Canada, that’s something you’ll have to search for on your own or have someone else on the forum with more knowledge in that area assist you with finding. That is not something that I track.

Good luck!

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

The above statement concerns me greatly. That the manufacturer of arguably the most popular mattresses on this site and spoken so highly of by you in the past is no longer a “trusted member” of this site because of a “business decision” is highly suspect in my opinion. You hold out your “Trusted Members” as being the best of the best; it’s an explicit endorsement of these companies. When a company no longer satisfies the standard spelled out on your “Trusted Members” page, it’s fair for us to ask why, and to expect an honest, complete answer. Especially when the only explanation offered is that it was a “business decision”. This strongly suggests that admission to the “Trusted Members” is nothing more than quid pro quo, or paid endorsements.

This site holds itself out as a source for honest, unbiased information. In the interest of transparency, I believe you owe it to your patrons to explain why you no longer stand by your previous endorsements of Brooklyn Bedding as a “trusted member” of this site.

Well said Little Wing. It does not put much confidence in my purchase, and so I would at least like to know the reason (especially before my one year trial expires). For example, if it was customer service related I am not really that concerned, but if it is related to the quality of the products going down hill or dishonestly with the specifications of their mattresses then I would most definitely need to know. This site does not seem that trustworthy anymore, and I made that observation when I realized many of the responses from Phoenix are basically the same with not a lot of personable advice put forth anymore.