Need help deciding on a mattress

Thank you very much for the detailed and thought out reply. I will get to work looking at all the links and furthering my research.

You went well above and beyond with all the links and places to look for information and I thank you very much for that.

My only other question is how do u feel about mattresses with the reinforced sides? Especially if two of them are pushed together? I’ve never paid on a mattress with reinforced sides before.

HiHamb0ne10.

You are welcome. I am glad we can be of help. :slight_smile:

I believe that what you mean by “reinforced sides” is edge reinforcement in foam mattresses. Perimeter edge/Foam encasements are designed to eliminate roll-off when you sleep on the edge of the mattress. Edge support is seen more often in innerspring mattresses which are more prone to edge sagging because of the nature of springs and innerspring construction (where the edge of a spring is significantly less firm than the center) and foam mattresses usually don’t have (or in most cases need) edge support because few people sleep with a lot of weight on the outside few inches of their mattress. They are an extension of the support system and it is most commonly found in the deeper support layers of a mattress and placed under the comfort layers which in most cases don’t have edge support. By design in most cases, you should not feel much of a difference when the two mattresses are pushed together.

Phoenix

Hi, thanks for all the knowledge here on the site + forums, it’s helped me narrow my search down to 2 mattresses. (Also planning on a topper + cover)

The 2 choices:
$80- Linenspa 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress - Firm Support - Twin XL
$120 - LUCID 6 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress - Firm Feel

What I want:
-Twin XL
<$150ish, plus the cost of the topper/cover. A cheap, acceptable mattress for a bachelor, that has good warranty support (2-4+ year life without sagging or noticeable breakdown)
-Sleeps cool
-5’10, 170-180lbs
-Acceptable use with adjustable/motorized base
-Firm is fine. I like sleeping on a thick blanket + carpeted floor. Soft is fine if it doesn’t break down quickly, and still offers support.

I’d like a latex mattress, I think it would be better to buy a latex topper though(?). A topper can be removed, rotated, replaced, etc. Latex mattresses are fairly pricey- Lucid makes a $250 10" Latex (3" Latex/7" High density foam). Pretty sure most are $350+. It’s easier to ignore the faults of a $80/$120 mattress. I’d be pretty irritated if a $350+ mattress started sagging after 2 years.

For toppers:
I can buy something like a $160 “Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft”
And a $90 “Bamboo Mattress Pad with Fitted Skirt”
And a $20 “LUCID Premium Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector”- I don’t know if this is needed. I’ve read that it’s important to keep foam dry, & it may help it feel more even (I guess as you heat it up & sweat it gets compressed and softer)

^I think that combination might offer a supportive mattress that sleeps cool.

I’d appreciate your thoughts & advice, thanks

Hi Khetre.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

With the 6" Lucid, temperature may be more of an issue for you, but again this will depend entirely on your tolerance. You are correct that the upper layers of the mattress are the most significant when it comes to temperature and moisture regulation and that Latex, in general, is also not only the most durable but the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. While it’s also not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

If you like the feel of latex and are concerned with temperature regulation then the 10" Lucid “Latex” Hybrid Mattress would be an all in one and have the advantage that you won’t need a topper. This mattress is using 1" Dunlop, but there isn’t complete information about the blend or certification information about this foam. There is a 7" polyfoam core beneath it but the density is unknown, so this is not an all-latex mattress. A forum search on Lucid (you can just click the link) will bring up comments and feedback about them. I know that you are looking to get only 2 to 4 years useful life for your mattress and I’d just want to make sure that you are aware that Lucid is from China, and you can see in post #6 here more info about mattresses imported from Asia or China which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased, which in my opinion makes this a more risky purchase.

At your BMI and with the durability expectations you mentioned you seem to be looking in the right direction, but I would also consider guided DIY option which would be more along the lines of mattress/topper version that you are considering, although I don’t recommend this option without the guidance of an experienced and knowledgeable retailer/manufacturer. For example, you could purchase here a 7" TwinXL poly layer of 1.9lbs (for $165)) then add a latex topper of your choice and a mattress cover.

Just keep in mind that while we can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Nobody can speak as to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” for you, but if after you find out the specifics of each of the options you are considering in terms of the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here just make sure that before making any purchase you are OK with some of the risks involved that come with some of the lower quality options you are considering.

As far as powerbase suitability for the specific mattresses you are considering, this would be a question to ask the manufacturer/retailer themselves, but in general terms … foam materials such as latex, memory foam, or polyfoam along with most pocket coils are “bendable” and flexible enough to use with an adjustable bed and all the options and the mattress thickness you are considering would work well with a powerbase.

You can see some of the threads where Lucid was discussed here connected with washable cover issues that consumers experienced. As far as mattress protectors choices, there are many … membrane type … the wool type … or the cotton type. The tradeoffs involved are between how waterproof they are … how breathable they are … how much they will affect the feel of your mattress, the importance of natural materials, and of course cost. There is more about the choices and tradeoffs involved and the amount of “protection” that may be important in post #2 here and in post #5 here.

I hope this gives you enough information to help with your decision.

Phoenix

Thank you, after reading your advice I did some more searching & reading. I’ve seen some DIY stories, they scare me. I’ve seen a few people do tons of research, spend $300-800, and be completely unsatisfied with the result (an unusable mattress). I figure if I buy something cheap, it’s easier to ignore the faults (and everything has faults).

I narrowed it down to 2 budget latex hybrids:

1. (spring hybrid) $209, $240.44 after taxes/fees LINENSPA 10 Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress - Supportive - Responsive Feel - Medium Firm - Temperature Neutral
    advertised as having:
    -7" of steel coils
    -4 layers of foam and latex
    ** 1" quilted memory foam
    ** 2" latex
    ** 7" coils (13.5 gauge steel)
    ** Foam edge support
    Linenspa states that it is adjustable bed compatible

Reviews suggest it is soft and comfortable.

2. (foam hybrid) $225, $258 after taxes/fees LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress - Ventilated Design
    advertised as having:
    -3" Latex foam (natural/synthetic blend, supposedly 3.5-4.0lb density dunlop latex)
    ** Customer photos show 2" thick latex
    -7" high density support foam (1.8lb/cubic foot, high-density polyurethane foam)
    Customers state they’ve used it with adjustable beds without problem

There are ~6 reviews that say it’s as hard as sleeping on the floor, that worries me

I know TMU recommends spring hybrids.
I can add a pillowtop, or 1-3" latex topper to either. I think I’d really like a shredded latex topper but think they’re too expensive

Hi Khetre.

For some people, DIY mattress turned to be a very rewarding project, but in general, the best approach is a “spirit of adventure” where what is learned and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings that may be realized (which may or may not happen). For those that decide to take the challenge of building a DIY, I advise having more realistic expectations and getting comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial, and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process.
If you wish to take this challenge on and a DIY is still of interest to you I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well)

Restless nights are hard to “ignore” and wihile a cheap mattress can be satisfactory for a certain period of time it may quickly reach the end of its useful life and you could end up spending more in the long run. Sometimes “cheap” can have a higher cost than people may realize or hope for. As far as finding faults in everything … it really depends on the perspective… it is like seeing the bottle half full or half empty. I am sure that once you find the right mattress even a little higher price can be overlooked… but of course that all depends entirely on your own personal value equation and what is most important to you. In the end … the “value” of a mattress purchase boils down to three main factors.

[indent]• How well you will sleep on a mattress in terms of Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences (PPP)
• How long a mattress lasts and continues to provide you with PPP and the quality of sleep.
• Then all the other parts of “value” that are part of each person’s personal value equation (including return or exchange policies and the price) are also important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but are secondary to suitability and durability because a mattress that isn’t a good match in terms of PPP and you can’t sleep well on it or a mattress that is a good match in terms of PPP initially but uses lower quality materials which lose their comfort and support too quickly relative to the price you paid would both have little “value” for most people.[/indent]

As I mentioned previously it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ).

Linenspa 10" Latex Hybrid Mattress is advertised as a medium-firm feel and they recommend it for back or stomach sleepers, but there is no way for anyone else but you to assess if any mattress would be comfortable for your particular needs, preferences and sleeping positions. They list it as having 4 layers of foam and latex for a total of 3" on top of the spring unit (1" quilted Fast response foam and 2" fast response foam and latex) but they do not list the specifications (density and thickness of each of the layers. If you manage to find out the specs for this mattress I’d be happy to comment upon it. (On amazon most of the questions related to upper layers specs seem to be deferred to [email protected])

Linenspa is a trademark for Malouf which is a Chinese manufacturer of mattresses, pillows, and bedding products. They sell some fairly cheap memory foam mattresses that use lower density memory foam that I personally wouldn’t consider and because the price of their latex hybrid mattresses is in the same range it would make me cautious about its quality. If I was considering a Chinese manufacturer though I would want to know the specifics of all the foams and eventhough they use CertiPur certified memory foam or polyfoam they are compressed for long periods of time in their transportation from China which ages foam much more quickly and reduces durability and can actually damage latex (Dunlop especially).

Overall … I would be very cautious with these and make sure you get more information … including about their return costs and method of return if it isn’t suitable (because you can’t ship them back compressed the way you received them which means that return shipping would have to be with much more expensive truck freight). They are also a one size fits all choice which means they are much more “risky” in terms of suitability than a mattress that you can choose your own comfort level.

I think that other than personal testing on a mattress … your research into the quality of materials and dealing with a retailer or manufacturer that can provide you with good guidance about which mattress may best “fit” your needs and preferences is among the most important parts of your mattress purchase. The quality of sleep is very important and there are very few purchases that we can make that can have such a big effect on our overall well being for the next decade or so than the mattress we sleep on. Rushing a mattress purchase IMO is a big mistake along with a mattress purchase that doesn’t take into account the suitability and quality of the materials in it.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any additional comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the Expert members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

First, sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I literally cannot figure out how to initiate a New Topic after spending a long time scrolling around the site.
In any event I greatly appreciate this fantastic resource. I bought a Charles Rogers St.Charles mattress in 2015.
I have never been fully comfortable on this mattress and find it “sleeps hot” for me- with many restless nights and my back is always getting too hot - (I am a back sleeper) after an hour or so attempting to fall asleep - and I’m waking up and flipping around trying to find a comfortable position. Recently have been waking up experiencing intense itching, despite very hygenic bedding and surroundings .
The frustration is, i find the pillow-topper - which i didn’t know it had til I got it) seems to retain heat - at least for me. A certain ‘bed blogger’ I asked about this. suggested trying a 2" talalay topper for cooling -
I never followed through but I want to find a solution now.
The main issue i see with the topper is that this mattress is already very high and i can’t see how any conventional sheet set would fit over it with an additional 2" 'topper. I feel like i’d need a small ladder to get in/out of the bed.
I welcome any thoughts and advice.
Thanks!
Mike

My budget is about $800 max for a queen set. Durability is important to me as my budget won’t allow me to go an buy another in a couple years. My wife and I did not like the feel of the latex and memory foam mattresses. We found an innerspring we liked at an independent locally owned furniture store but wanted to make sure it was a good value and will last a while.

The mattress is a Lady Americana Plus 1300, which is a 2 sided mattress. After a bunch of research, I figured out the brand is a licensee group of independent manufacturers with the name owned by Mathis Furniture in Oklahoma City. It seems the models of the brand are greatly different depending on which factory is producing them. I figured out this particular one is from Lady Americana Midwest, which primarily sells wholesale/hospitality. Lady Americana Midwest I discovered is actually just a wholesale branding of Jonathan Stevens mattress of Grand Rapids, Michigan and it seems like they are just selling their usual factory direct mattress models under different branding. From what I can ascertain, the Plus 1300 is the same as the Hospitality 4 on the Jonathan Stevens website.

My local store was able to give me the spec sheet for the mattress they got from the distributor. The innerspring is a 776 coil, 14.5 gauge continuous coil spring with a 6 gauge border wire. From what I read, Jonathan Stevens uses variations of this same spring on almost all their innerspring mattresses, including their higher end ones. The comfort layer on each side is 1 inch firm 1.8 lb high density poly. The quilt layer is a 1" layer and a 3/4" inch layer of 1.5 lb soft high density poly. No ILD numbers are present. I did find a promo factory video.

Best price the local dealer could give me was $599 for the mattress and $150 for the matching powerstack module boxspring for a total of $750. Does this seem reasonable and would this have decent longevity?

Hello SirJohn,

You have certainly done your research well and it looks like you clearly know what you want. It does appear that the Plus 1300 is very similar to the Hospitality 4, although Jonathan Stevens does not share the density of its firm polyurethane layer. The Hospitality series are models designed for use in hotels, which have a challenging environment. Please note that most hotel chains replace their mattresses every 5 years. The Lady A Plus 1300 's use of a 1.8 lb. poly layer should provide you decent longevity.

Based on your research, personal experience with a test rest and use of Phoenix’s famous PPP method of assessment , Mattress specifications you need to know - The Mattress Underground, as well as your budget, we would conclude your decision on the Lady A Plus 1300 is very reasonable.

Sweet dreams!

Team Luma

I believe this is where to ask my question as I didn’t know which “Ask an Expert” to choose. I am trying to determine if the bed I purchased is right for me while I’m in my trial period.

I bought an Oceano by Brentwood which is a hybrid of high density memory foam, individually wrapped coils (two sets) and wool top. They consider it a “Medium Plush” but as it states somewhere on this site that is a relative term really. I have had it for roughly 3 weeks. During the first 2 weeks I found it to be rather firm. I am mostly a side sleeper and found my hip and shoulder rather painful. I contacted the company (excellent customer service) and they sent a 2" foam mattress topper. I still am having the same pain issues. I chose the hybrid bed because I thought it may be more durable over time compared to my other desired choice, latex.

I am 5’4" and 140 pounds and, as previously stated, mostly a side sleeper. I paid just over $1300 for this mattress and that is about the top of my budget. I’ve researched many mattresses on line (on line due to the generous trial period) but am concerned about the ‘newness’ of a lot of these companies. Anyone can make and sell a bed but…anyways, I am wondering if an all latex of latex hybrid would be a better fit than the memory foam and coils. I’m concerned about buying a mattress considered “plush” or “soft” for the side sleeping as it may not last as long. If I lean towards latex, I would want it to be the natural Dunlop or Talalay. Are there any affordable natural latex mattresses out there? I’m not even sure if my question(s) or confusion is answerable.

I guess I’m wondering with regards to a side sleeper 1. Have I given this current Brentwood mattress enough time to soften? 2. Are all latex (that aren’t a very high price point) mattresses durable? or am I better off with a hybrid? 3. Can a soft enough bed for a side sleeper actually last without costing too much?

Again, if these are not questions that can be answered and are more a personal decision I completely understand.

Thanks

Hi Hilaryb,

Thanks for visiting The Mattress Underground. We can address your questions and concerns.

3 weeks is probably enough time to determine if your new mattress is right for you, though many mattress companies require a minimum of 30 days. You should probably check and see if Brentwood has a minimum so you know what your options are. It looks like you have received an additional 2" memory foam topper, but did not say how long you have been sleeping on it. If it did not resolve your issues within a few days, it is unlikely that it will.

Additionally, you seem to be conflicted about your mattress purchase, as it looks like your original desire was for an all latex mattress. With both the physical and mental stress involved with your current memory foam hybrid mattress, you will most likely need to replace it in order to find the mattress solution you have been looking to find.

Given all the pre-purchase research you conducted, it is interesting that you chose a memory foam hybrid over a latex hybrid mattress. While not all latex, the latex/pocketed coil hybrid design appears to be well suited for your requirements. There a several latex hybrid mattresses available online that meet your stated budget of $1300 (or less), although you did not state the size you need. For example, Arizona Premium Mattress Company, a trusted member of The Mattress Underground, sells a king size latex/pocketed coil hybrid that seems to fit into your budget. King Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil - Latex Mattress, Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex

You will not likely find a quality king size all latex mattress at your budget price, as high quality latex foam is very expensive as a mattress component, and an all latex mattress price reflects this. However, a latex/coil hybrid can provide you with a reasonable alternative that meets all your needs.

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

Thank you so much for your reply. Reading back I realize now I probably left out some key points. I am actually looking for a queen bed and as to the topper have been sleeping on it for about 10 days now. I will definitely look into the Arizona Premium Mattress Company. I’m just not sure the latex will be any softer than the memory foam but I will definitely do some research.

Again thank you!

I am looking for recommendations on the best bed to buy for my 8-year-old son to use for 5 weeks. We are traveling to Honolulu and staying at a friend’s house during that time while they’re away. They have a baby, so there’s a crib, but no bed–so we need to get something inexpensive (a few hundred dollars max) the same day we land (a few days from now)! My first thought was air mattress, but it seems there isn’t much good to say about them other than they’re cheap, and don’t expect much. I also thought about camping air pad mattresses but assume they are even worse as far as comfort/support? Getting a used mattress might be a possibility but we won’t have access to a truck, and hunting for something might be more trouble than it’s worth… Wondering about getting the cheapest possible memory foam mattress instead? I saw one place in Honolulu that advertised them starting at only $199. Ideally the mattress would also work for my parents when they come visit us in Hawaii. If possible, I plan to donate the mattress after we leave. Any advice? Thank you!!! Lissa

Hi lisaachurch,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground! Since your needs are temporary and price is a prime consideration, your best bet is a discount-type purchase. Size matters when it comes to mattress pricing. The larger the mattress the more expensive; something that works for your son may not work for your parents as well. Also, it seems you need to have it delivered (or pick up at a store), and being in Hawaii really limits these options. Any option other than an air mattress poses challenges and will likely not meet your cost/budget needs. A decent air mattress looks to be a better option than a really cheap memory foam bed-in-a-box for your situation.

There are some good air mattresses that can fit the bill for an 8-year old on a temporary basis. It can also be packed up and left at your friend’s house for future use ( small thank you gift left behind).

We suggest some online shopping (think Amazon) , review of product rating/reviews and Hawaii delivery options. Purchase from somewhere that you can return quickly if turns out to be not what you need. Chances are you’ll get it right the first time!

Have fun online shopping,

Team Luma

Thank you for the advice, Team Luma! :slight_smile: Makes sense and appreciate the response!

Lissa

Have a great time in Hawaii. Mahalo!

I’m interested in medium firmness in:
BB Bowery (all foam)
BB Aurora (hybrid)
BB Signature (hybrid)
Ghostbed Luxe (all foam)

I am interested in medium firmness and coolness. I prefer memory foam over hybrid, but don’t want to be hot while sleeping. I currently am sleeping on a 10 year old Simmons BeautyRest with pillowtop (approx 14 inches thick). Its time for a new mattress. This one is starting to feel like a brick.

The Aurora, because of the coolness factor, but the negative for me is the hybrid factor and the price.

The Signature, because it seems from reviews it sleeps cooler than the Bowery and is cheaper than
the Aurora, and the Signature is considered temperature neutral, but the negative is its still a hybrid.

The Bowery for the all foam bed, but don’t want the warming issues.

I would be interested in the Cocoon Chill by Sealy, but based on research on this site, the bigger names usually use lower quality materials. Attached is what I found online concerning the specs on the sealy: quoted: soft-Cocoon mattress by Sealy, a density of 3 pounds in the Perfect Fit memory foam layer and 1.8 pounds in the Comfort Layer memory foam,1.8 pounds in the transition and base layers. Firm -same except it features three pound memory foam in the comfort layer with a larger eight-inch chunk of the high-dense support base.

Finally, the Ghostbed Luxe for the all foam construction and the cooling factor its supposed to have, but the negative is the price.
Considering I am just about willing to pay the higher price for the BB Aurora and Ghostbed Luxe, thats going to be my max budget.

I would love to get some feedback from any and all if you have or have had any of these beds and what your thoughts are on them as far as feel, durability, hot/cool sleeping, and anything else you can offer.

I cannot find the specs on the BB mattresses nor the Ghostbed Luxe. Any feedback on these specs will be appreciated. I would like to buy before the July 4th holiday to take advantage of the discounts.

Hi droidx.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

“Specs” about each person’s body type and sleeping position are an important part of how each person interacts with a mattress but there are many other variables as well. There are many different types of layering combinations that can perform equally well for people of a certain height and weight and sleeping style so the most “accurate” way to “fit” a mattress to each person is to work with a knowledgeable local person who has the experience and knowledge to help you make the most suitable choices in “real time” and in person. There are some general weight and height guidelines here and some general guidelines about sleeping positions here and some information about how different types of layering can change and affect these guidelines in this section of the site but these are general guidelines and starting points only and will do more to help you know who has the knowledge to help you make the best choices more than they can be used to design or recommend a specific mattress based on what I call “theory at a distance”.

Generally outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Like many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses … there is a great deal of “marketing speak” on their website (some of which makes very little sense and is misleading) and they don’t provide all the information you would need to make an informed choice or make meaningful quality/value comparisons with other mattresses.

Thanks for posting your findings about the specifics of this mattress. You are correct that the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta and the major retailers that focus on them)) are generally among the least transparent in the industry and they all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines I linked above along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here ).

I would make sure you read a bit more about Sealy Cocoon in this topic (which confirms your findings with the Cocoon specs as well) The density of the memory foam in both models (3 lb and 2.2 lb) is lower than what I would normally recommend and I would advise caution for anyone considering these two particular mattresses, because the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown and the loss of comfort and support would mean that there would be a much higher risk that you would need to buy a new mattress much sooner than you hoped for and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here ).

If for some reason this mattress is still in your finalists then in terms of temperature regulation the chill version has a stretch-knit cover polyester-cotton infused with phase-change material (PCM) which would make help keeping you a little cooler than the Cocoon Classic but I’d keep in mind that the MF layer under is the least breathable of all foams.

GhostBed Luxe is made by Nature’s Sleep previously it had their mattresses in their factory in China and importing them into the US for many years (although it appears that their new Ghost Mattress may be made in the US but I am not sure if any of their foams are imported from China).
FIY and for others that may consider this bed the specs of this mattress
1.5" Cover (1"of 4lb quilted Gel memory foam + ½ inch of Japanese cooling fiber just under the fabric cover)
2" of 4lb Gel Memory Foam: with a “Ice” phase change surface
2" Ghost Bounce Layer: (“responsive like Latex, contouring like Memory Foam, yet resilient. equivalent to high quality talalay latex” From their site description I think it is a All of these are what I call “high performance polyfoams” and are more costly than conventional polyfoam so they would certainly justify the higher cost of Luxe as opposed to the Classic but they are also not as costly as many more premium foam materials such as higher quality memory foam or latex.
7.5" of 2lb Support Core Polyfoam

There are some past comments about Nature’s Sleep (.com not .ca which is a different company) in this topic and forum searches on naturessleep.com and exact phrase site searches on nature’s sleep and on natures sleep(you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well (although you will need to be careful that the results the last two searches bring up are discussing the .com site and not the .ca site … which again is a completely different company).

As far of the other mattresses you are looking at you have to decide for yourself if they meet with your personal value equation that are most important to yo and if you find any of hte detailed specs of your finalists then feel free to post them here and I’d certainly be happy to let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of the quality/durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the reply. I know BB was a former member here, and I know that members laid out the specs of the materials of their mattresses, but for some reason, I cannot find them, so if anyone has them, please share. My biggest comcern with the BB Aurora is the springs. I’m not a fan of them, and I feel that the foam would last longer but sleep warmer. Just curious as to any input you have on foam over springs when it comes to durability. I’m just at the point where I have done so uch research that if I don’t buy a mattress soon, I probably never will… Thanks again.

Hi droidx.

These lineups were all launched at the end of last year and it is not surprising that you cannot find too many comments (before this BB had only one product TheBestMattressEver that sometimes mid-year 2017 after changing materials and replacing the latex with the Titanflex foam was renamed “Signature” ) As with any mattress, building a solid track record takes some time and “real consumer” feedback and experience with the product over a longer period of time versus the very soon after-purchase reviews that more often than not are only another type of marketing system that take advantage of the consumer’s mindset and use them to target a market that pays undue attention to them.

There are some posts with comments and discussions about the mattresses you are interested in here , here, and here. You can always do a forum search just click here and put a key term in to see if you can find anything else of interest you. They have a good customer service and you may wish to contact and ask them directly which is probably the fastest way to get your questions answered.

Hopefully, any of the other forum members that own one of these mattressess for some time will see your post and share their experience.

Phoenix