Need help finding a mattress topper

HI,

I am interested in purchasing a latex mattress topper. I have recently bought an extra firm spring\latex mattress which I felt would be good, but I now realize provides no cushioning or pressure relief. I believe my case might be slightly different than most - I have had neck problems for years, and recently I found a specialized pillow (Therapeutica pillow) that really helps support my neck and upper thoracic spine as there is a wedge that extends to give me that extra upper back support. I mostly sleep on my back, and the problem with this pillow is that it seems to be slightly lifting my upper back of the mattress (less than an inch) and giving me no support for my shoulders. I was hoping to solve this problem with either a different mattress or a adding a mattress topper. I had a chance to try this pillow with a rather soft memory foam mattress that was on display at a mattress store and had time to soften up, and for the first time I felt like I was sinking into the mattress and finally being cradled and able to relax. On the flipside it had very little support and I fear that could cause some long term back pain. I then moved on to try every other mattress in nearby stores and nothing seemed to provide that cradled feeling ( including an all latex mattress which was close but not quite there, and every Tempurpedic bed I could try). I am a 6’ tall male and weigh about 135 lbs, and my weight combined with the specialized pillow I use makes me think my body won’t have enough pressure to actually push down against the topper and sink into it, especially around my shoulders. At first I was looking into purchasing a soft memory foam topper, but I haven’t found anything that seems to fit the bill.

Could a soft Latex topper provide the same type of cradle found in memory foam? and what kind of thickness\latex type would be best for someone my weight and size?

Are there any other types of toppers I hadn’t thought of that could be helpful in my situation?

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Ian

Hi IanS,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: I’m sorry to hear of your neck issues, but I’m happy that you’ve found a pillow that assists with your pain.

A topper can be a very effective alternative to purchasing an entirely new mattress, especially when your current bed is brand new and provides good support, and is simply something that has become a bit too firm for your current comfort needs.

A latex toper can be a comfortable choice to provide a bit of extra plushness, but also something that provides a bit of support. Latex has an unusual combination of surface softness and deeper firmness/support that comes from its elasticity, it’s point elasticity (ability to conform to the shape of a body) and its compression modulus (the ability to get firmer faster with deeper compression than other types of foam). This means that it can enhance the pressure relieving layers above it because of its surface softness and point elasticity but it is also very supportive and can “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in too deeply. It is also very resilient (it returns a high percentage of the energy of compression instead of absorbing it like memory foam which has very low resilience) so it can enhance the “feel” of the mattress by making it more responsive and more adaptable to different body profiles and sleeping positions rather than the less responsive feeling of memory foam or the stiffer and less adaptable characteristics of polyfoam. Latex is also a very durable material (it’s the most durable of all the foam types) so it can add to the durability of a mattress compared to other materials but the deeper layers of a mattress have less effect on mattress durability (a mattress will soften and break down from the top down) and more of an effect on performance and support/alignment so this would be less of a factor in its use. Whether or not you would like the feel of a latex topper of course would ultimately come down to your own personal testing, as the overall comfort will be determined by the topper along with the mattress upon which it is placed.

There is an excellent post about toppers, including a few posts that it links to, in post #2 here.

There is also a post here listing some of the toppers of which I am aware that can be returned.

The topper post I linked to above will discuss some of the other styles of toppers (polyfoam, natural fibers, microcoils…), but in your situation your thought of using latex would certainly be a very logical choice.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your quick reply! :slight_smile:

I was thinking of getting a 14 ILD Talatech 3’’ topper from sleeplikeabear.com. It seems like it would be the most conforming. They also have a 14-19 ILD 100% natural talalay topper which was interesting - which one would be better in terms of conforming to the body’s contours and creating that cradle sensation?

I presume they give that ILD range for the Natural Talalay since it isn’t synthetically produced and won’t produce the exact same material consistency(as usually occurs with all natural materials). Am I correct?

Even though my mattress contains Latex, I am still not quite sure about the feel of latex as a comfort layer. Do you know of any stores in the Los Angeles area that carry toppers that I can try?

Another route I am exploring is the buckling column gel option. At first glance I didn’t think much of it, but the more I read about it, the more it seemed to be providing exactly what I am looking for - the ability to have my hips and shoulders slightly sink in as they are cradled, while still being supported. From what I read on this forum , I understand that for some people it can be better than memory foam and latex. I was thinking of buying the topper Intellibed has to offer, as they seem like the only brand to make a buckling column gel topper.

-I know from what I read here that you are not a big fan of buckling column gel. Is there any particular reason? Or you just didn’t like the feel? Would love to hear about your experience and opinion of this type of gel
-Did you have any experience with the Intellibed company, or know of anyone who has (Specifically with their topper)?
-I am not too happy about ordering something online that I can’t try first (There is a 60 day return policy, but from my understanding I am required to pay for the return shipping, and it can be quite expensive). Do you know of any retailers in the Los Angeles area who deals with Intellibed or any other type of buckling column gel products ? Even trying out their mattresses might give me an idea of the feel.

Sleep has been a issue for me for years (went to sleep labs, had my blood tested for any deficiencies etc.), I have had many types of mattresses and pillows over the years and none seemed to make a significant change, so I wouldn’t mind investing a little extra in something that might be able to finally provide relief.

Thank you again! You are truly awesome for creating this website and helping so many people here!

Ian

Hi IanS,

The ILD rating is never an exact number, and how it is represented in ILD is determined from the manufacturer of the foam (what ranges they decide to produce) or how the reseller wants to advertise it. You can see the ILD numbers and the “word ratings” that Talalay Global (who makes the Talatech blended and natural latex you referenced) here. Talalay Global calls their softest natural Talalay N1, with a range of 14-19.99 ILD. The Talalay process tends to distribute the latex rubber particles quite well due to the vacuum seal/flash freeze part of the process, but natural rubber particles are stickier, less consistent and more difficult to work with than synthetic rubber, and there can be a bit more slight variation in ILD for a blended versus natural Talalay core, although the range of +/- 2 or so for the ILD is quite standard. The larger variances tend to be with Dunlop, as you can get some more settling of the latex rubber material in those cores, depending upon the process, with a +/- 4 ILD or so being a common variance.

Both choices you mentioned would be very soft, with the blended topper probably feeling more plush to you than the natural. However, I wouldn’t be able to tell you which one you might find more of a “cradle sensation”, as that is subjective and would also be partially determined by the mattress upon which the topper is placed.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Los Angeles are listed here . You may also wish to use the Pure Talalay Bliss retailer locator here to find the closest PTB retailer, as the toppers they offer are the blended latex from Talalay Global in the 19 ILD range. I don’t keep a listing of the individual items (toppers – latex or gel) that all of the retails in specific areas keep on their floors, as that would be too large of a project for anyone to accomplish in an ever-changing landscape, so you’ll have to do some research on the web sites of place some phone calls to any retailers you are considering.

I’m not sure why you would have derived that opinion, as that is not my stance. There is more about buckling column gel in this article and in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A forum search on “buckling column gel” (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. It can be a good choice for those who have more extreme pressure relieving issues, as it compresses differently from normal foams (stays firm until reaching a threshold, where it “buckles”, where foams normally get progressively firmer as more weight is applied). The negatives are the higher price (although this is getting a bit better), the unique feel, and the "popping’ that some people find objectionable (mostly when placed as a topper or in the uppermost part of the mattress).

You can see some of my comments about the Intellibed (and other types of buckling column gel) in this topic and in this topic and a forum search on Intelligel (you can just click this) will bring up more about them as well.

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

IanS - I have no direct experience with Intellibed, but regarding their topper I found it interesting to discover that it doesn’t use a full sheet of their buckling column gel. It only uses the gel in the center section of their topper with other more common foams in the surrounding areas. While reviews are not a reliable source for subjective mattress related impressions, on the Amazon product page for the Intellibed topper there are some comments about it including pictures of the unwrapped topper which show its internal construction. At its relatively high price I found that surprising and thought you’d want to be aware of it, hope you find this information helpful.

Hi Sweet Dreams,

The Intellibed topper uses about 1" of polyfoam under the gel layer ( which is about 2") and there is a racetrack polyfoam edge system as well. There is no polyfoam on top of the gel. The cover is removable and overall the topper is about 3.5" in height. I don’t know the density of the polyfoam used. The photo I believe you are referencing on amazon seems to be for a completed mattress referencing 7"-9" overall of foam).

Phoenix

The image I was referring to is this one shot from above looking down at the uncovered topper, and you can see the top of the diamond shaped bucking columns which confirms the orientation of what is pictured:
My understanding based on the text and picture is that the Intellibed bucking column gel is only in the center portion of the topper as viewed from above, and the FULL size topper has ~9" of foam at the head and foot and ~7" of foam on each side of the center only gel section. What they are describing and pictured is not foam above or below the gel section, but that the gel only covers about 56% of the mattress’ effective sleeping area. I understand that there may be some foam above or below the gel but that wasn’t the info I was trying to share. I sincerely apologize if I’m incorrect as I’m not trying to share any misinformation, just trying to clarify the actual construction of the topper as far as its use of the bucking column gel.

I don’t mean to be argumentative, just trying to clarify exactly what to expect regarding the construction of the Intellibed topper. The picture and description I referenced from the Amazon product page shows the uncovered topper from above, with the diamond shaped top of the bucking column gel visible to confirm its orientation. The 9" foam referenced is at the head and foot of the topper and with 7" foam on each side, effectively limiting the gel to only being used for ~56% of the effective surface area for the Full size topper. There may be foam above and/or below the gel section but that’s not what I was trying to point out.

Hi Sweet Dreams,

No, you’re correct. I misread their description and you can see what they were describing in their “review” and it’s more clear blowing up the photo. Thanks for the clarification!

Phoenix

Very pleased to receive your agreement, I was a bit afraid of contradicting the true mattress master!

Hi Sweet Dreams,

Hah, that is high praise indeed, but I am not beyond rushing through things and making errors, so I appreciate the help!

Phoenix

Hi Sweet Dreams,

Thank you for pointing that out! I did read that review and was a little concerned about that, especially since there aren’t many comprehensive reviews out there about the intellibed\intelligel that aren’t promotional, and it is a little difficult to get a good picture of the overall quality of the product.

Phoenix, I apologize if I misunderstood your stance regarding buckling column gel. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that you tried it and concluded it wasn’t for you (Please correct me if I am mistaken), but probably came to wrong the conclusion that “you’re not a fan”. I didn’t mean to misrepresent your opinion in any way.

As for the surrounding foam in the Intellibed topper, I am probably going to email them and ask for the exact dimensions of the surrounding foam for a queen size topper. If the case will be as extreme as in the review I might pass on it. Also, another forum member here said somewhere that Intellibed can substitute the soy foam with Talalay Latex in their topper, but I might have to confirm that with them.

Just received a reply from sleeplikeabear.com and they suggested I get a 1’‘-2’’ thick 14 ILD blended Talalay topper to provide the cushioning I need without creating a hammock effect. They also added that I could get another thin layer of a 28 ILD to provide that extra support underneath the soft top layer. Currently a 14 ILD 2’’ topper seems like my safest bet for a latex topper.

I am still very intrigued with the Intellibed topper, as I am a sucker for anything innovative and technologically fresh, even though it might not be the best option for me :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted if there are any updates!
Thanks!

Ian

Hi IanS,

No worries. You may have read where I had sampled Orthogel and stated that it wasn’t my favorite material, but that was my personal comfort preference and is one of the reasons that this site isn’t a review site, and instead focuses upon analyzing and identifying quality componentry and then helping people make up their own minds and take them through the steps to choosing a mattress that works best for their needs using these high quality components. There are certainly many materials that I personally don’t prefer for personal use, but if they are a good quality they may appropriate for quite a few other individuals. And that’s more important than my own personal comfort preference. :slight_smile:

When I spoke with Intellibed, this was polyfoam around the perimeter and the bottom of the gel, so I am unfamiliar with the substituting of latex for this.

In post #2 here I describe in more detail the use plant based polyols in polyfoam (what you’re referring to as soy foam). In a nutshell, part of the polyol portion used to create polyurethane foam is replaced with a plant-based polyol. There’s a brief explanation of this from one of the polyol manufacturers here. There are still quite a few chemicals involved in the production of polyfoam, and most polyfoam pourers use some plant-based polyols these days.

I’ll look forward to any comments about either topper you decide to acquire.

Phoenix