Need help finding compromise for different body types

Hi Phoenix,

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a new queen-sized mattress to replace the one that he’d had for 14 years. I’m not sure what it had in it, but he claims it was air pockets (no coils), although there were no adjustment mechanisms for it so I don’t think it was an airbed. In any case, it had a pillow top on both sides with what I assume was polyurethane foam. I don’t remember the model, but it was one of the “S” brands. He was ok with it (aside from some back pain in the morning, which he says is the norm for him after lying down too long), but I felt it was pretty saggy and didn’t offer great back support.

I did some research and thought that a latex mattress would do the trick, based on excellent reviews (on your site and several others I consulted), its durability, and the hope that it would help with my boyfriend’s dust allergies. We ended up purchasing one from Literie Laurier in Montreal (which I learned about from your site). It’s got an 8 inch firm talalay support layer (can’t remember the ILD info), and a three-inch 28 ILD talalay topper that’s removable. We had a platform made for it, with the total coming to $2650 CAD. It sure felt great in the showroom – we both loved it.

I slept on it well the first night. My boyfriend, on the other hand, woke up with massive back pain. I urged him to give it a chance to see if his body would get used to it. But after almost a week of pain and zero sleep, he refused to sleep on it anymore. He moved into the spare bedroom, which has a firm coil mattress and a 2 inch topper of memory foam that I bought from Costco years ago before we met. (We decided against a memory foam mattress, incidentally, as he didn’t like the quicksand feeling of it, and we both tend to sleep hot. Also, over the Easter weekend we slept on a medium-firm memory foam mattress at my parents and that also caused him pain). He’s not a fan of the mattress in our spare bedroom (again, too hard), but he seemed to find it preferable to sleeping on our new mattress. Meanwhile, I can happily sleep on any of the beds described so far (heat from the memory foam notwithstanding). To try to address the problem, I arranged to exchange the 28 ILD topper for something softer. The guy at Literie Laurier suggested we try a 21 ILD. Since they didn’t have it in 3 inch layers, he put two 2 inch layers in one (giving us an extra inch in the comfort layer). We brought it home, and he slept reasonably well on it the first couple of nights, but this time I was miserable. It’s like I’m sinking into it too much, so much so that when I lie on my side it feels like my lower ribs are close to touching my hipbone (mind you, I’ve got pronounced thoracic scoliosis, so there’s that to consider as well). When I lie on my back, I can feel pain emanating across my mid- and upper back. So now I’ve moved into the spare bedroom.

At first it seemed like the solution was simple: we would have a topper custom made that’s 21 ILD on his side, and 28 ILD on mine. But then he came to me after the third night and told me that he’s now waking up with some back pain with the 21 ILD topper … although it’s still not as bad as what he experienced with the 28 ILD (and maybe comparable to what he had with the old mattress). We happened to go away this weekend and I’m guessing the mattress at the hotel was a medium-firm (foam over coil support base) because I slept fine, while he said he felt much as he did when he was on the 28 ILD … like his hips are being pushed up and not sinking in sufficiently.

My boyfriend is 45 years old, and primarily a side sleeper who also sleeps on his back. He’s 5"10 and about 170 pounds, and carries a bit of extra weight in his stomach. I don’t think his hips are particularly wide though, so I was surprised that he feels he doesn’t sink into a medium firm mattress enough. I’m 42 years old, and sleep on both my back and sides. I’m 5’7, weigh about 130 pounds, and am not especially curvy … not an hourglass figure anyway. I’m not sure if this matters, but I do intensive yoga a few times a week to keep my core reasonably strong (trying to keep back pain from scoliosis in check), whereas my boyfriend doesn’t exercise much (so maybe there are other issues that a mattress can’t be expected to completely fix?)

According to what I’ve been reading, a medium-firm mattress is found by most people to cause the least amount of back pain, that lighter people tend to prefer a softer mattress, and that heavier people tend to prefer a firmer mattress. So I don’t know what to make of the fact that I’m the lighter party who sinks uncomfortably into a soft comfort layer and prefers the medium-firm option, whereas medium-firm pushes my boyfriend’s hips up. I also don’t know what mattress would be appropriate for him at this point since he now wishes we’d never gotten rid of the old mattress, although the 21 ILD option seems to be the least offensive of all available options (although still not providing a totally pain-free sleep). In his opinion, we’ve spent too much money to be having these problems, and that he’s seen tons of ads for cheaper mattresses, so why not just go with that? I’ve tried to explain that these are likely inexpensive for a reason (poor quality materials), and that we don’t want to find ourselves with a saggy mattress problem again if we cheap out and buy something from one of the big chains (e.g. Dormez Vous, Leon’s, The Brick).

We have a thirty-day return policy for our mattress that runs out in less than two weeks. We don’t know whether we should return the whole thing and start shopping all over again … or take a chance and have a likely non-refundable “his-and-hers” topper made (21/28 ILD) … or buy a king-size frame and each of us buy whatever XL long twin mattress we want … or take up permanent residence in separate bedrooms …

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi Digger,

I think that your spare bedroom and mattress is getting far too much use :slight_smile:

Unfortunately … I can’t feel what you feel and I can’t see you on the mattress and since there isn’t a formula or “theory at a distance” that can choose a mattress design for someone else, any guesses I make won’t be nearly as accurate at assessing the suitability of a mattress as your own careful and objective testing or your actual sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The key to alignment with any mattress (which is the most likely cause of lower back pain to the degree that a mattress contributes to the back pain) isn’t necessarily how much you sink in but how evenly you sink in which determines how well you spine is aligned and part of this is determined by the weight distribution of each person and the surface area that is in contact with the mattress and of course the sleeping positions. While it’s true that heavier people generally need firmer comfort and support layers … there are so many different body types and preferences that this certainly isn’t always the case.

Less curvy body types also don’t have the recessed gaps that need to be “filled in” and supported as much so they can also do well with firmer materials.

For you … the one thing that seems clear to me is that 4" of soft latex in your comfort layer is clearly too thick/soft for you to maintain good alignment.

For him … there is some history of back pain already that may not be connected to the mattress and I don’t have any clear sense of what he may do better with outside of the “pointer” based on his experience that a softer thicker comfort layer seems to be better than a slightly thinner firmer comfort layer. Even though he seems to prefer more softness … I would be tempted to try out a thinner soft comfort layer for him as well since this seems to be closer to your old mattress (a thin layer of softer memory foam over a firmer mattress) and the most common cause of back pain (but not the only one) is a mattress with comfort layers that are too thick and soft.

A change from 3" comfort layer of latex in the medium range to a 4" comfort layer in the soft range is a fairly big change and may also have “jumped over” the thickness and firmness that is best for either one or both of you.

I should also mention that part of the issue may be the layers that are underneath the removable topper which would have at least two layers (a latex core is only 6" thick) so the top 2" or so of the mattress itself and their ILD may also be playing a role in all of this and would affect how the topper feels and performs.

Now that you have personal experience and a reference point for mattresses that you don’t do well with, if I was in your shoes I would be tempted to do some very careful and objective testing in the showroom (not just based on how a mattress “feels”) to find the mattress that is the best match for you based on actual experience and I would pay very careful attention to whether a mattress you are testing seems “familiar” or reminds you of the feel and performance of the mattress that each of you don’t do well with. I don’t know of any way other than your own personal testing to choose a mattress that is the best match for you unless you have a specific reference point of a mattress with a known design that your experience indicates you do well with.

Based on the complexity and uncertainty of your situation … I would be hesitant to “lock in” anything that you may not be happy with unless it was clear to you that the only thing necessary was adding a topper because the mattress was too firm.

I would also consider trying to sleep on just the mattress with your old memory foam topper to see what the differences in your experiences are which may also provide a useful “pointer”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

This is long overdue, but thanks for your detailed response to my long, complicated post from last month. My boyfriend and I ended up going back to the store and spent some time there trying out a more topper options. We eventually opted to exchanging the two 21 ILD toppers for one 28 ILD latex layer, and a cool gel memory foam layer. After sleeping on it together for the last few weeks, we are both pain free. It seems like the memory foam gave just the little bit of give that my boyfriend needed, while still providing the support that I require.

Yay for compromise (!) and a shout-out to Benoit Picard at Literie Laurier for his unfailing patience and willingness to find a solution to the problem.

Hi Digger,

That’s great news and I’m glad things worked out so well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up doing … and about the great service at Literie Laurier as well!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It’s been six months since I wrote about the successful compromise that my boyfriend and I came to with our comfort layer on our latex mattress. My boyfriend is still sleeping pain-free, but nighttime lower back pain has been creeping up on me over the past few months. For a while I chalked it up to other things (“Maybe I need to further strengthen my core … or have injured myself somehow without realizing it … and maybe this pillow between/under my knees will help … or sleeping all night curled up in a tight ball …”). Spent one night in the spare bedroom as an experiment and presto! No lower back pain waking me up in the middle of the night! The spare bed is firmer than ours, so I can only conclude that I need a bit more support than what our shared mattress is giving me.

This has me thinking that we should bite the bullet and have a comfort layer made with different levels of firmness on each side. Since I don’t want to mess with what’s working for my boyfriend, I think we should keep his side with what he’s used to: 2 inches of 28 ILD latex, and two inches of memory foam. The thing is, what originally came with our mattress and what seemed to work for me was 3 inches of 28 ILD latex. I’m inclined to have that on my side, but that means that my side will be one inch lower than his. My question is: do you think this one inch difference from his side to mine will be particularly noticeable? I’m not so worried about how it’ll look … I figure with the feather duvet it shouldn’t be too obvious anyway. But do you think from a comfort perspective it could be a problem? It would be frustrating to have the thing made (probably with no return option because it’s a custom order) only to find that the height discrepancy opens up a whole new can of worms.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice …

Hi Digger,

I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t keep working out for you as well as they did at the beginning. It sounds like your solution was very close to the edge of the comfort/support range that was suitable for you so that even a small amount of foam softening in the topper or sleeping just slightly out of alignment over a longer period of time was more than your body was comfortable with.

I would think that a height discrepancy of an inch between the sides could become an issue or at the very least an annoyance with the mattress sloping from one side to the other … especially if you are sleeping with part of your body on or over the center … and I would be cautious with this approach and I would personally tend to avoid it unless there really wasn’t any other option.

Splitting the firmness of the top layer in the mattress so that you have a firmer layer underneath your side to improve how far you are sinking in and then keeping the memory foam topper may be a possibility.

Another possibility would be to keep the same mattress layering and use a split topper with your side being firmer than his.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply, and for confirming my suspicion that it’s probably not wise to settle for a difference in height on each side of the mattress.

Regarding this:

Would an example of this be to keep the layer of memory foam on both sides, but then have the other layer on my side slightly firmer, e.g. 32 ILD on my side vs the 28 ILD on his side?

And in terms of testing this, have you ever heard of a manufacturer letting a customer take home unfinished pieces to try out for a few nights? My concern is that lying around on the mattress in the showroom for an hour may not be enough time to properly assess whether it’ll do the trick. It’d be nice to try a combo out for a couple of nights before it becomes mine for good, but I don’t know if I can expect a return policy on a custom order since I don’t see how they could reuse half a queen-sized slab of latex.

Thanks,
D

Hi Digger,

Yes … that’s what I meant. I don’t know if they do split layers or the firmness options they have available but it would certainly be worth asking. They may also have some other suggestions that may be helpful as well. If they have any zoned layers available that have a firmer center zone then this may also be a possibility but again I don’t know the options they have available so you would need to ask them. There is more about zoning in post #11 here.

Some manufacturers may have some “sample” or returned layers available yes but again you would need to ask them about this and their return policy as well because custom designs often can’t be returned or exchanged but each manufacturer sets their own policies.

Phoenix