Need help finding natural flame retardant affordable twin mattress

Hi kss1001,

As I mentioned previously, most mattresses you’re likely to encounter are using the non-chemical inherent FR barriers, not chemical sprays with which you had a concern.

Most of the polyfoam you’re likely to encounter should be CertiPUR-US certified for low VOCs. If you’re looking for a spring mattress with a natural fiber on top, you’ll tend to be in a higher budget range than $300 for a twin. Something like the Pure Echo would be a sample of a more affordable natural fiber mattress. There is a listing of mattress companies using springs and no foams here, but these will all tend to be in a higher price range.

my green mattress bunkbed

For those that have a more restricted budget then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well.

They’re generally not transparent about the density of their foams (which isn’t as much of an issue for a small child, where you’d want to lean more toward a medium to medium-firm sleeping surface) but they’d be using the non-chemical inherent FR fiber barrier in some form.

Their foams are CertiPUR-US certified (for the low VOCs) and they use the non-chemical inherent fiber FR barrier.

I would read post #6 here about mattresses imported from Asia or China and which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased. Being sourced in China would make these mattresses somewhat of a risky purchase IMO.

No, there really would not be a difference. The more important thing would be that the polyfoam was at a minimum CertiPUR-US certified.

Besides going through my links above for lower cost mattresses and those not using foams, it might be worth spending a bit of time phoning some of the manufacturers I listed in my previous post for your area to see if they would be able to create a custom product for you without foams in your price range.

Phoenix