Need help finding the right mattress for heavy person

Hi 901-Memphis,

If you scroll up to my reply in post #2 in this topic there is more information about the type and quality of materials I would suggest for higher weight ranges (polyfoam that is 2.0 lb density or higher, memory foam that is 5 lb density or higher, and any type or blend of latex).

There are many online mattresses that use materials that would be suitable for your weight range that are included in several of the online lists that are linked in the tutorial but the ones in the simplified choice list that meet the guidelines for higher weight ranges are the ones that include the comment “suitable for all weight ranges” in the comments in the table that includes the specifics of their materials (they are the top 4 that are listed).

The better options or possibilities in and around the Florence, KY area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are included in the Cincinnati list in post #212 here.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Does the Alexander meet these requirements? Obviously the soft wouldn’t work well for me but the medium or firm might?

Hi 901-Memphis,

While 4 lb memory foam can certainly be a suitable choice for those that are in more “average” weight ranges … I would minimize or avoid the use of 4 lb memory foam for those that are in much higher weight ranges and focus on higher density and more durable materials (such as 5 lb or higher density memory foam, 2 lb or higher polyfoam, or any type or blend of latex) … in the comfort layers especially.

Phoenix

Looks like the 5 lb foam is harder to find. I see the medium Novosbed uses it, what do you think about that?

Otherwise it looks like I need to find a blended latex probably?

After some more looking and thinking maybe the Brooklyn Bedding mattress would be more appropriate for my weight range, do you think the medium would be supportive enough for my weight?

Also trying to figure out if I can apply the 5% off code with the free pillow offer at the same time?

Hi 901-Memphis,

I can’t speak to how any mattress would “feel” to you or whether it would be a good match in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP but I would agree that the 5 lb memory foam would be a more suitable choice for higher weight ranges in terms of durability (even though it is less common than mattresses that use lower quality/density materials). I would add a “slight” caution because of the 1.8 lb density polyfoam base layer but the deeper layers will have less effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress than the comfort layers that are above it.

While latex in general would normally be more durable than even 5 lb memory foam (assuming that the latex is in a suitable firmness range and isn’t too soft for you because softer layers of any type of material will be less durable than firmer layers of the same material) … the choice between latex and memory foam is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

Memory foam and latex are very different materials with very different properties that are more opposite than similar (memory foam has little to no resilience, has a slower response, and is temperature sensitive while latex is a highly resilient, faster responding, and non temperature sensitive material for example). There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials you tend to prefer is based on testing a range of mattress in different firmness levels in each category to see if you can identify any “pattern” in your preferences.

Phoenix

Do you know of any models close to the Brooklyn Bedding medium that i could try in person to get an idea of if it’s right for me?

Hi 901-Memphis,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses though they have a great trial period so that you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk outside of the time you spend trying the mattress or returning/donating (should that become necessary).

Phoenix

I think I’m going to order the Brooklyn Bedding medium. Do you have any pillow or mattress protector recommendations?

I was looking at a Luna waterproof protector on Amazon for $40.

Also thinking of Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper off Amazon

Hi 901-Memphis,

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver would certainly be a suitable mattress for your weight range and assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here. The Luna would certainly be a suitable choice for those that are looking for a waterproof protector that would have little effect on the feel or performance of the mattress.

Pillows are a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences or different opinions about what they perceive as firm and soft or the general type of pillow that “feels” good to them but some of the information in the pillow topic here and the posts it links to can help you choose a pillow that is the best “match” for you and the mattress you are sleeping on.

Phoenix

Oh yeah I pulled the trigger on the Brooklyn Bedding medium queen already, I just got my email notification that it shipped today via FedEx and I’m waiting for the tracking number to do its first update so I can get the delivery estimate.

I also ordered the Luna mattress protector, Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, and Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper.

I am hoping between those two pillows and the free one from Brooklyn Bedding I will find one that works for me.

Hi 901-Memphis,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive everything and have had the chance to sleep on them for a bit.

Phoenix

I will certainly be able to provide feedback, hopefully some if it useful.

I do have a crazy question for you though, Do you know of any way to get my old mattress properly disposed of? I live in an apartment and we’re not allowed to dump large items because we have a trash compactor with a small opening.

I am thinking of putting up a Craigslist ad and paying someone to remove it, not sure what the going rate is for that and I don’t want someone to illegally dump my mattress either.

Hi 901-Memphis,

This topic has more information about disposing of an old mattress that should be helpful.

Phoenix

So my wife hates new mattress and after two nights on it she’s refusing to sleep on it again. The mattress is very firm even for me which was surprising, I’m guessing the Dunlap latex is to blame but that’s neither here nor there as she’s demanding we return it and won’t sleep on it another night.

So I guess I’m stuck with it for 30 days per the Brooklyn Bedding return policy, hopefully it goes well…

Now the other part, we went to snuggy mattress express in Florence KY per your recommendation but the owner said they no longer sale Jamison mattresses due to the previously owned family company selling to a foreign owner. He said he broke ties because he was worried about future warranty claims under the new owner.

We decided to try out some mattresses in person even though we can’t buy until we get our money back from the other products, I have some questions because they don’t list foam density but do have a cutaway and diagram showing mattress composition without the density listed.

Apparently based on the testing my wife prefers and extremely plush mattress, now I have to find a plush mattress that’s durable enough for my weight.

Her favored mattress was the beauty rest recharge hybrid, are these the mattresses you said to avoid?

She also liked a Miralux IV pillow top which was much cheaper. Another brand I know nothing about.

I’m thinking I might have to make a trip to Denver mattress… Sorry for the long winded post do you have any advice for my crazy situation?

I’ll attach pictures of the two I tried but I think you probably already know what I’m dealing with.

Hi 901-Memphis,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for (at least for your wife). Your mattress includes Talalay latex, Dunlop latex, and Polyfoam and all three of these materials come in a wide range of firmness levels so it would probably be more about the firmness of the layers and the mattress as a whole than about the specific type of material in your mattress.

I would keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so and I would tend to sleep on a new mattress for a minimum of 30 days or so if possible before deciding on whether to exchange or return it (or possibly add a topper if the mattress is too firm).

Jamison was sold to Solstice Sleep but it was the only line of mattresses they carry that I would consider as a “possibility” so I’ve removed them from the Cincinnati list.

Without knowing the information listed here (including foam density) it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress or the mattress “as a whole” and if a retailer either can’t or won’t provide you with all the information that you need to make an informed choice I would pass the mattress by because it would be much too risky a purchase.

Yes … all the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

International Bedding went bankrupt and their assets were purchased by Corsicana which also aren’t generally transparent about the quality of the materials in their mattresses. Having said that … the name of the manufacturer isn’t all that important anyway because outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so once again I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would deal with more transparent manufacturers or retailers so that you can avoid the frustration of testing mattresses and finding out that you like it and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP only to find out that the information you need to identify any potential weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isn’t available and you’ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

Other than that … I would just follow the steps in the tutorial one at a time.

Phoenix

That’s my biggest issue is I’m still not sure which of the manufacturers in my area are transparent, I was hoping snuggy was but I found out they weren’t.

I am looking over the list of manufacturers my local Denver mattress sales and they sell some of the major brands you mentioned avoiding, do you see any here that stick out as good ones? I’m hoping they list materials so I don’t have to look at brands.

Brands

Your Denver Mattress offers an unmatched selection of quality brands at unbeatable value. Your store is proud to sell product from brands you can trust to give you the most in style, selection, and value.

Denver Mattress
Beautyrest
Serta
Green Choice
Tempur-Pedic
Sealy
Stearns & Foster

I’m guessing their own brand is the one I’m going to be interested in.

I guess the only way to know is by going in the store and asking

Hi 901-Memphis,

If a manufacturer is willing and able to provide the information here about the materials and components inside their mattresses then they are what I would call transparent but checking their websites (which most often don’t list the specs you need to know) or better yet making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists that you are planning to visit is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway (this is step 3 in the tutorial). This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

At Denver Mattress I would focus on the mattresses that they manufacture themselves because these are the ones where you will be able to find out the quality specs you need to know and I would ignore all the other major brands and the Green Choice mattresses that they also carry.

Phoenix

I was actually thinking about trying the Brooklyn Bedding soft, but I can’t seem to see what the difference is in the materials that makes it any different, do you know Phoenix?

I’m thinking a man of my size will sink into the soft version but it looks like I might not have a choice

Hi 901-Memphis,

I’m assuming that you are asking about what makes the soft version of the BME different from the medium?

If this is the case then they both use the same thickness and type of materials in each layer but the soft uses softer comfort layers than the medium.

Yes … you (or anyone) will sink into softer layers more deeply than you would with firmer versions of the same material.

Phoenix