Need help finding the right mattress for heavy person

So far I have read the buying guide and also found a post about good mattresses for heavy people but wanted some finer input for my situation.

Currently we have a Laura Ashley pillow top one sided coil mattress from 2007 on a box spring and it’s severely sinking on my side.

I am 6 ft 320 lbs and a side sleeper. My wife’s side of the bed is still perfect, she’s much lighter than me and a side sleeper most of the time too.

We have a budget of approximately $1300 for a new foundation/mattress. I don’t think we can re use the box spring even though it’s in good condition still. It’s also a Laura Ashley product with the wood slats on the bottom and metal wire support inside where the top meets the mattress. The bed frame under the box spring just uses 3 horizontal steel bars about 1 inch wide to support the box spring.

I was looking at the Alexander Signature Select Mattress in medium but it doesn’t seem to offer a box spring option and not sure if mines acceptable.

Hi 901-memphis,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would also keep in mind that as long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to (which you may have already read) that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

I’m assuming from your username that you are in the Memphis area and if this is correct then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Memphis (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and any firmness level options they have to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

[quote]We have a budget of approximately $1300 for a new foundation/mattress. I don’t think we can re use the box spring even though it’s in good condition still. It’s also a Laura Ashley product with the wood slats on the bottom and metal wire support inside where the top meets the mattress. The bed frame under the box spring just uses 3 horizontal steel bars about 1 inch wide to support the box spring.

I was looking at the Alexander Signature Select Mattress in medium but it doesn’t seem to offer a box spring option and not sure if mines acceptable. [/quote]

I’m not sure you are clear between the difference between a “box spring” and a “foundation”. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. It’s more likely that you have a foundation and most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Any mattress with a polyfoam support core and most one sided mattresses will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (bedframe and foundation or platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is also more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here

Your steel bedframe is probably fine (as long as it has good center support to the floor and there are no obvious ).

You can check with the manufacturer of your mattress to make sure that your “box spring” (or more likely your foundation) is suitable for your mattress and if it is and it is still in relatively new condition and has a perfectly flat surface with no soft spots or sagging or weak areas throughout the surface, especially in the areas under the heavier parts of your body (you can test this with a straight edge to make sure its completely even and with strong pressure all over the surface with your knee to make sure there are no soft spots or weak areas), then it may still be fine but after 9 years I would probably replace it.

Nest Bedding does sell foundations that would be a suitable choice for any of their mattresses.

Phoenix

My foundation seems to be in very good condition oddly enough even though my mattress is not. It’s still very firm so I am going to try to re use it and I am heavily leaning towards the winkbeds hybrid.

Do you have any recommendations for a mattress protector for this large 15 inch mattress?

Hi 901-Memphis,

You can see some comments about Winkbeds and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and a forum search on winkbed (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. I would be very cautious because the quality/density of the materials don’t meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest for someone in your weight range.

There is more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

I read your simplified list and I don’t seem to see any that are recommended for heavy range. Do you have any more specific assistance in guiding me to mattresses with the proper materials for my body type?

I am actually relocated now to zip code area 41042, do you know of any good places around here to shop?

Hi 901-Memphis,

If you scroll up to my reply in post #2 in this topic there is more information about the type and quality of materials I would suggest for higher weight ranges (polyfoam that is 2.0 lb density or higher, memory foam that is 5 lb density or higher, and any type or blend of latex).

There are many online mattresses that use materials that would be suitable for your weight range that are included in several of the online lists that are linked in the tutorial but the ones in the simplified choice list that meet the guidelines for higher weight ranges are the ones that include the comment “suitable for all weight ranges” in the comments in the table that includes the specifics of their materials (they are the top 4 that are listed).

The better options or possibilities in and around the Florence, KY area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are included in the Cincinnati list in post #212 here.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Does the Alexander meet these requirements? Obviously the soft wouldn’t work well for me but the medium or firm might?

Hi 901-Memphis,

While 4 lb memory foam can certainly be a suitable choice for those that are in more “average” weight ranges … I would minimize or avoid the use of 4 lb memory foam for those that are in much higher weight ranges and focus on higher density and more durable materials (such as 5 lb or higher density memory foam, 2 lb or higher polyfoam, or any type or blend of latex) … in the comfort layers especially.

Phoenix

Looks like the 5 lb foam is harder to find. I see the medium Novosbed uses it, what do you think about that?

Otherwise it looks like I need to find a blended latex probably?

After some more looking and thinking maybe the Brooklyn Bedding mattress would be more appropriate for my weight range, do you think the medium would be supportive enough for my weight?

Also trying to figure out if I can apply the 5% off code with the free pillow offer at the same time?

Hi 901-Memphis,

I can’t speak to how any mattress would “feel” to you or whether it would be a good match in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP but I would agree that the 5 lb memory foam would be a more suitable choice for higher weight ranges in terms of durability (even though it is less common than mattresses that use lower quality/density materials). I would add a “slight” caution because of the 1.8 lb density polyfoam base layer but the deeper layers will have less effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress than the comfort layers that are above it.

While latex in general would normally be more durable than even 5 lb memory foam (assuming that the latex is in a suitable firmness range and isn’t too soft for you because softer layers of any type of material will be less durable than firmer layers of the same material) … the choice between latex and memory foam is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

Memory foam and latex are very different materials with very different properties that are more opposite than similar (memory foam has little to no resilience, has a slower response, and is temperature sensitive while latex is a highly resilient, faster responding, and non temperature sensitive material for example). There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials you tend to prefer is based on testing a range of mattress in different firmness levels in each category to see if you can identify any “pattern” in your preferences.

Phoenix

Do you know of any models close to the Brooklyn Bedding medium that i could try in person to get an idea of if it’s right for me?

Hi 901-Memphis,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses though they have a great trial period so that you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk outside of the time you spend trying the mattress or returning/donating (should that become necessary).

Phoenix

I think I’m going to order the Brooklyn Bedding medium. Do you have any pillow or mattress protector recommendations?

I was looking at a Luna waterproof protector on Amazon for $40.

Also thinking of Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper off Amazon

Hi 901-Memphis,

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver would certainly be a suitable mattress for your weight range and assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here. The Luna would certainly be a suitable choice for those that are looking for a waterproof protector that would have little effect on the feel or performance of the mattress.

Pillows are a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences or different opinions about what they perceive as firm and soft or the general type of pillow that “feels” good to them but some of the information in the pillow topic here and the posts it links to can help you choose a pillow that is the best “match” for you and the mattress you are sleeping on.

Phoenix

Oh yeah I pulled the trigger on the Brooklyn Bedding medium queen already, I just got my email notification that it shipped today via FedEx and I’m waiting for the tracking number to do its first update so I can get the delivery estimate.

I also ordered the Luna mattress protector, Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, and Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper.

I am hoping between those two pillows and the free one from Brooklyn Bedding I will find one that works for me.

Hi 901-Memphis,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive everything and have had the chance to sleep on them for a bit.

Phoenix

I will certainly be able to provide feedback, hopefully some if it useful.

I do have a crazy question for you though, Do you know of any way to get my old mattress properly disposed of? I live in an apartment and we’re not allowed to dump large items because we have a trash compactor with a small opening.

I am thinking of putting up a Craigslist ad and paying someone to remove it, not sure what the going rate is for that and I don’t want someone to illegally dump my mattress either.

Hi 901-Memphis,

This topic has more information about disposing of an old mattress that should be helpful.

Phoenix

So my wife hates new mattress and after two nights on it she’s refusing to sleep on it again. The mattress is very firm even for me which was surprising, I’m guessing the Dunlap latex is to blame but that’s neither here nor there as she’s demanding we return it and won’t sleep on it another night.

So I guess I’m stuck with it for 30 days per the Brooklyn Bedding return policy, hopefully it goes well…

Now the other part, we went to snuggy mattress express in Florence KY per your recommendation but the owner said they no longer sale Jamison mattresses due to the previously owned family company selling to a foreign owner. He said he broke ties because he was worried about future warranty claims under the new owner.

We decided to try out some mattresses in person even though we can’t buy until we get our money back from the other products, I have some questions because they don’t list foam density but do have a cutaway and diagram showing mattress composition without the density listed.

Apparently based on the testing my wife prefers and extremely plush mattress, now I have to find a plush mattress that’s durable enough for my weight.

Her favored mattress was the beauty rest recharge hybrid, are these the mattresses you said to avoid?

She also liked a Miralux IV pillow top which was much cheaper. Another brand I know nothing about.

I’m thinking I might have to make a trip to Denver mattress… Sorry for the long winded post do you have any advice for my crazy situation?

I’ll attach pictures of the two I tried but I think you probably already know what I’m dealing with.