Need help narrowing down my choices

Hi, I’ve been researching online and in store for the last couple of weeks trying to find a new mattress. Like a ton of other people I’m coming from a decade old spring block. I’ve got my list narrowed down to a handful of memory foam, gel foam and latex mattresses.

I’m 5’10", 200lbs and sleep on my side. Are there any clear winners on this list, or at least clear losers? I’m also open to any suggestions not here.

I’ve starred a couple that appeared to be the best but I don’t really have much reason for them over the others.

Thanks!

Grizz

Dreamfoam
[li]Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress[/li]
Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress

Novaform
14" Gel Memory Foam Queen Mattress

DynastyMattress
[li]Luxury Grand 15-Inch with 7.5" Memory Foam Mattress[/li]
Luxury 12-Inch w/5 Memory Foam Mattress
Cool Breeze 12-Inch GEL Memory Foam Mattress
Therapeutic Memory Foam Mattress with 5" 5LB Viscoelastic Memory Foam

Sleep Innovations
12-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress

Linenspa
[li]16" Natural Latex and Memory Foam Mattress Plush Four-Layer with Bamboo Charcoal Bed - 100% CertiPUR Foam[/li]
12" Gel Memory Foam 4lb Ventilated Memory Foam Triple-Layer Plush Viscoelastic Mattress - 100% CertiPUR Foam

Hi GrizzlyMan,

Here are the steps I would take to help you narrow down your choices (besides the steps listed in the tutorial post here).

First I would decide whether you prefer memory foam or latex so you can eliminate one or the other.

Next I would make sure you have all the specific information about every layer in each mattress you are considering so you can eliminate any weak links in any of the mattresses. For memory foam you can see the criteria I use in post #10 here. This would also eliminate any options that used less than about 4 lb memory foam or better in their mattresses (unless cost alone is the only issue in which case you would be trading durability for price).

Post #6 here talks more about some of the possible risks when you are considering a mattress that comes from Asia.

Post #2 here and post #5 here and post #4 here and post #2 here would also be well worth reading to help you narrow down your choices along with forum searches on each of the manufacturers you’ve listed (make sure you set the search time frame to “any date”).

Once you’ve narrowed down your options a little more to choices that are all between “good and good” then your final choice will be much simpler.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information. I just remembered a bit ago that my girlfriend is allergic to latex so memory foam it is!

Do you have any specific things to look for that would pertain to side sleepers that don’t like an overly firm mattress?

Hi Grizzlyman,

You may want to read post #2 here before excluding latex. For most people with a latex allergy (type IV) a latex mattress wouldn’t be an issue.

There is more about choosing a mattress in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here. Side sleepers typically need a little thicker comfort layers to ease pressure points but either your own personal testing on local mattresses for PPP or more detailed conversations on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer are the two best ways to choose which mattress is the best “match” for your body type, sleeping positions, preferences, and circumstances.

Phoenix

I just got this Dunlop latex mattress the other day. I saw it posted on this very forum!
It has almost 5lb density, it is 6" thick, and is made of Latex.
If you need ideas, and are on a $500 budget, I’ve got just thing thing for you, honey!
I paid under $500 for this. It is a true latex mattress, and was a killer value.
Good luck with your hunt, and sweet dreams!

Latex 6" 5lb Dunlop