Need help regarding some details for the Spaldin mattress

Hi there!

I´m on the hunt for a new mattress. When I´ve started the search, I had no idea about VOC´s and so on… which let me speechless to be honest. Therefore, now I´m looking for something natural/safe (because organic is far too expensive for my budget). :cheer:

At this point I´m considering two models of SPALDIN: Ergo Flow (which I understand it used to be named Tubes) and Seven Latex Plus. The thing is I cannot see all the information/specifications on their website. For example:

For the Seven Latex Plus model:

Is the Latex 100% Natural or is it a blend? Is it Dunlop or Talalay? Are there different layers in this mattress?

For the Ergo Flow model:

From what I´ve read here and in some other articles, I understood that their foam has among the highest plant based polyol content. Therefore, I assumed it is a blend of petroleum and vegetal oil, but as it is certified is safe enough. However, when I´ve called to their store, I was told that this model is 100% vegetal. Honestly, taking into account all the knowledge I´ve gained during my “training/research” in this field, I doubted it…
On the other hand, which are the specifications of each layer in this mattress (density and so on)?

Can anyone help me elucidate these doubts?

Thanks in advance!
Sonia

Hi SoniaRaritate,

Spaldin is certainly doing some things right IMO. Their foams and mattress components are all Oeko-Tex Standard 100 class 1 certified which means that they are all “safe” and they have among the highest plant oil based polyol replacements in the industry.

You were wise to doubt this because it isn’t true. As you can see here, Spaldin replaces about 40% - 60% of the polyols in their polyfoam with a polyol derived from soy and sunflower oil. The polyol is one of two main chemicals used to make the foam along with the isocyanate which is also petrochemically derived. The percentage of polyol to isocyanate varies with the foam formulation but assuming it’s 1:1 to make things simple then if 50% of the polyols were plant oil based then about 25% of the mattress would be made from chemicals derived from plant oils rather than chemicals derived from petroleum.

Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP … the next most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials inside it (see post #13 here). I would always make sure that you know the density of any polyfoam or memory foam in a mattress and the type and blend of any latex along with the thickness of all the layers (see this article). I don’t know these specifics (as you mentioned they aren’t listed on their site that I can see) so you would need to find out this information from the manufacturer or retailer and then you can compare it to the guidelines in post #4 here.

A forum search on Spaldin (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about them but I don’t know the specs for their current mattresses.

Phoenix

Thank you very much, Phoenix!

I think I will contact Spaldin directly, because the retailer in my area I don´t trust it much after that phonecall :unsure:

Regards,
Sonia