Need help to alleviate Neck pain/right upper back

Great site! I used various articles and discussion forums to research and finally bought the following combination layer mattress from ‘Sleep on Latex’:

1. Top Layer: 2 inch soft Dunlop Latex
  2. Middle Layer: 3 inch medium Dunlop Latex
  3. Bottom Layer: 3 inch firm Dunlop Latex
    I have been sleeping on this for little more than 2 weeks and have been feeling neck and upper right back pain when I wake up in the morning. The pain usually goes away by mid-day. I am predominantly a side sleeper and prefer to sleep on my right side. I am 6 feet and about 210 pounds.
    Any ideas on next steps to help alleviate this pain. I think that I probably need to increase softness in upper layer to reduce pressure points…probably replace the 2 inch soft layer by 3 inch soft layer. Or, maybe add another softer layer…wool pad of some kind?

Thanks,
Vroomy

Hi vroomy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: And congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: Sleep on Latex is a site member here, and I think you know you purchased a product using high quality componentry.

There is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here. Quite often when receiving a new mattress and sleeping on your side it is necessary to adjust your pillow, and this can be the cause of quite a bit of lower cervical / upper thoracic and shoulder pain, so you’d want to make sure that your pillow is providing you with a relatively neural alignment. You may also, as you mentioned, need a slightly softer/thicker upper comfort layer.

I would first take a look at your pillow, and if that isn’t the issue, my next step would be a phone call to Sleep on Latex and see what advice they might have with your current configuration, as they would be best suited to provide the options that they think will have the best chance of providing the comfort you desire using the materials they have available for you. I would do that before considering adding an additional wool topper, at least at this time.

Phoenix