Need help with finding a mattress topper.

I’m in need of some guidance on what kind of mattress topper to buy - I have back pain (upper/mid back), I’m a side sleeper, I’m 5’1 at about 120 pounds. I notice when I sleep on firmer beds the pain is lessoned, but I also need a bit of give since I mostly sleep on my side. I’m completely clueless on what material I should get and the thickness/density, but I think I need something firm as soft beds irritate my back. Thanks!

Hi averyb,

There is more detailed information about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes or additions to your mattress that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing.

One of the more common reasons for upper body pain can be a pillow issue so it may be worth trying different pillows before you consider buying a topper.

A topper can be a great way to add additional comfort, softness, or pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm but it’s not a great way to try and firm up a mattress that is too soft so I would make sure you are confident you have identified the most likely reason for your pain or discomfort before adding a softer topper to your mattress. If your mattress is too soft or has visible or virtual impressions (that you can only feel but can’t see) then there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful.

If you decide that your mattress is too firm and needs some additional softness then a topper can certainly be a good solution. The type of material you choose for your topper would be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice because different people prefer the feel and response of different materials. Two of the most common topper choices would be memory foam and latex and there is more about the pros and cons of each of them in post #2 here.

While I don’t have any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns and variables involved in choosing a topper that are unique to each person to be able to predict which topper would work best for you on the mattress you would be using it on with any certainty … there is more information about how to choose a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Pheonix! This all super helpful. Would you be able to tell me some good retailers of mattress toppers in my area? I want to go try out the different materials and see what I prefer. My zipcode is 90019. Thanks again!

Hi averyb,

The better options or possibilities for mattresses I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here but I don’t know which of them carry toppers off the top of my head so you will need to check their websites or call them to find out which of them carry the types of toppers you are interested in testing.

If the top few inches of a mattress uses the same materials that would be in a topper it would also give you a general sense of what the material feels like as well.

I would also keep in mind that the softness/firmness of a mattress under a topper can have a significant effect on how a topper feels as well so the same topper can feel different on different mattresses.

Phoenix