Need help with memory foam mattress for side sleeper

Hi stenstageous,

Great post with good information! … thanks :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Very helpful information. I will call selectabed. I am also interested in the tripedic - the one based on the cloud supreme. They are more expensive, but possibly worth it?? My husband is 6"2, side sleeper mainly and about 280 lbs - so I want to make sure that any bed we get is quite durable.

Hi dpastor,

At 280 lbs I would make very sure that both the support system and the comfort layers used the most durable materials and were also firmer than the norm (heavier people will sink in more and firmer foams will act and feel softer).

I would also be cautious with the use of softer thicker comfort layers and with the use of 4 lb memory foam whether it was in a Cloud Supreme or in another mattress.

Higher weights will be harder on lower density foams that would be otherwise be durable and work well for people that weighed less so make sure that you include this in your conversations with them. The thicker the 4 lb memory foam layers the more effect that foam softening will have.

Phoenix

You mention foundation. I was going to order an adjustable bed. Would that be a problem with the memory foam? Thanks for the heads up on the density. I was about to go with bedinabox.com when I read one of your posts.

Hi dpastor,

An adjustable bed will work well with a memory foam mattress.

I meant that the support layers in the mattress will probably need to be firmer than the norm to provide you with good support.

Phoenix

I was considering this mattress or the Selectabed Tripedic gold. What do you think of your mattress after having it for 6 months?

We got Harmonia Tempflow Memory Foam Mattress from reliefmart - which also runs selectabed. The tempflow, I think, is a bit more expensive than the tri-pedic. My husband loves it - thinks it is super comfortable. I like it a lot - as it softens a bit, I am liking it more. This was the only bed that we have both liked - usually I like something much softer - so I am very grateful for the compromise. It is less like a cloud supreme and more like the Contour signature - but we have only had it for 3 months, we got a late delivery because of vacations.

I was very very impressed with the reliefmart sales staff - very very knowledgeable, asked a lot of questions and spent a good deal of time on the phone. They really made me feel comfortable buying a bed that neither of us had ever tried (no showroom in NYC).

Good luck,

Hello Marlo,

After having the mattress for a few months, I decided I wanted a little more softness. During my initial conversations with Selectabed, I was considering the Tripedic Diamond but was talked down to the less expensive Platinum with the reasoning that I would not be heavy enough to need three inches for a comfort layer.

I was also told that if I found I needed a little more comfort, I could buy another inch of comfort layer for only $100. So I took them up on that offer after three months and was glad I did.

To answer your question - depending on how firm or soft you like your comfort layer, I would suggest going up a level. I think the Selectabeds run a little firmer than your traditional memory foam mattresses because they use good quality foam.

Stenstageous- I am tempted to order that extra comfort layer - can it be ordered from the website? Is it a simple topper or is it a thick mattress cover? I assume that it made the bed just a little bit softer?

Stentageous:

Do you know what is the ILD of the six-inch HR poly foam in your Selectabed Tripedic Platinum mattress?

Stentageous,

I am considering the TriPedic Diamond mattress as an alternative to the Tempur-Cloud Luxe. I spent some time this weekend on the Cloud Luxe and I was very happy with the softness and support it provided for side sleepers, like my wife and I.

Have you compared the feel of your Platinum mattress (with the extra 1" of 4 lb foam) to the Cloud Luxe bed? The extra 1" of foam makes yours the same as the Diamond mattress I am considering.

Thanks,

KR Texas

FYi I was curious as well and called today to talk to one of the sales reps.

The 6 inch base is 36 ILD 2.5 or 2.6 density HR Ployfoam

I am adding to my original post instead of starting a new one. I didn’t see a way to start a new post so I hope this is alright.
Back in 2013 I was have problems with my hips being numb and after trying various options ended ip buying the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Lux which I am still sleeping on. Didn’t cure the hip numbness but I have just lived with it.
I’m a side sleeper.
Now my hip numbness has turned to hip pain. I’m diagnosed with arthritis in my hips.
I have pain during the night and wake up every hour or so and have to turn to other side.
When I get up in the morning I am stiff for awhile.
I really do not want to go through the mattress search again at this point so I would like to find a
mattress topper. I have been reading which might work the best for me and it seems like the
latex.
I am getting different information whether I should go soft or firm on this which makes it more confusing.
So my question is which latex topper?
I am 6ft at 250lbs. Would I get the 3" medium firm or the firm? Or is it supposed to be soft?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ken

Ken - Sorry to hear about your problem with hip pain and arthritis. While it’s very difficult to predict with a high degree of certainty which topper will best help to minimize your pain, but being of similar size (6’4" & 280lbs.) I have quite a bit of personal experience which allows me to provide some guidance. I’d suggest trying out a 3" medium firm Talalay latex topper, blended latex is fine and likely in the 28 ILD range. Soft would generally not be recommended for someone of your weight and firm would not likely provide adequate cushioning to give you sufficient pressure relief. Try to make the purchase from a seller that allows you to make an exchange or even a return if possible in case it doesn’t work out to your satisfaction. Good luck in resolving your issue and getting some relief and ultimately better sleep.

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at the 3" latex but wasn’t sure about talalay or dunlop. So the blended is alright too?

Blended is fine, many vendors claim it’s actually more durable than the all natural Talalay and it’s a little cheaper as well. Dunlop tends to be firmer and is more suitable for base support layers, while Talalay is softer and more conforming which is better suited for upper comfort layers. Glad to be of assistance and hope it works out well for you!

Hey jet757f,

Welcome back :), Thank you @SweetDreams, as always very sage advice.

I just wanted to second the 28ild Talalay recommendation from Sweet Dreams, if I was to choose one topper to try at first, I would have said the exact same thing.

Thanks for the post.

Sensei

Thanks everyone for the information. I have been trying to find one on Amazon.

Hey jet757f,

Thanks, you will be able to find it on Amazon no problem, it just gets a little confusing sometimes to make sure you get a 28ILD and not a 19ILD. Some of the listings are confusing to me as I did a search for the 28ild. I know Dreamfoam Bedding has a listing, not a member anymore, but a well-known company and brand to TMU.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it works, thank you.

Sensei

Amazon really does not have much selection for talalay latex. I was looking at this one in medium but the firmness is less than you mentioned at 24-26. The firm jumps to 29-31.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYN2AJ6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza