Need hypoallergenic latex mattress to replace beloved memory foam

Hi dpastor,

It’s always a good idea to avoid any mattress where there is more than “about an inch or so” of unknown or lower quality materials in the mattress (in the comfort layers especially … see the guidelines here) because the unknown materials can be (and often are) a weak link in the mattress. Making a blind purchase where you don’t know the quality/density and durability of the materials inside it can be a very risky choice. As you can see here … I would tend to avoid Aireloom unless you are able to find out the information you need to make an informed choice.

So called “soy foam” is just polyfoam that has replaced a relatively small percentage of one of the two main chemicals used to make the polyfoam (the polyol) with a polyol that is derived from soy oil (see post #2 here). It would be closely comparable to other types of polyfoam that are the same density.

This would depend entirely on the type and quality of foam and on whether the mattress “as a whole” was a good match for you in terms of PPP. Some types of innersprings (particulary some pocket coils) are contouring enough that they only need 2-3" of high quality foam (latex foam, polyfoam, or memory foam) on top of the innerspring to make a very suitable choice for some people while other people or other types of innersprings or mattress designs may need more foam on top of the innerspring or need multiple layers of foam to be a suitable choice for others. It all depends on the specifics and these are “comfort” choices rather than “quality” choices. The most important factor in the durability of the mattress would depend on the type and quality of the foam layers … not on the thickness.

There is no specific definition or meaning for “hypoallergenic” and this is more of a marketing term than anything else. In most cases allergens that are connected to mattresses are more about dust mite allergens than about the type of materials in the mattress (see post #2 here) although it’s certainly possible that some people can be sensitive some of the materials that are used in mattresses as well. The brand of a mattress is also relatively unimportant because outside of PPP … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the NYC area (subject to the “value” guidelines that I linked in my previous reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix