Need ideas to ensure bed frame supports new latex mattress

So we have our new latex mattress and I’m just getting around to looking at our standard king platform bed frame (sleeping with mattress on the floor currently) and I need to figure out how to better support the mattress. The platform has four 1x3 slats for support, and a support post screwed to the center of each slat that goes to the floor for center support. We don’t have a foundation currently and the frame can be used with our without one, so I have options.

Am I correct in assuming even a new foundation for a latex mattress would need better center support than the frame currently has (four 1x3 posts with center post to floor) Because if a foundation didn’t need more support buying one might be an easy solution.

Assuming I need center support no matter what, I was thinking of using better slat support instead of buying a new foundation. With slat support I was going to add nine 1x6 slats to keep spacing under 3". But I’m not sure the best way to add center support. I could copy the bed frame design and simply add a post to the center of each slat that extends to the floor. Or possibly connect all the slats with a board down the middle and have a few support posts to the floor… We’re probably also moving in the future so whatever I do will need to be torn down and rebuilt. Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Contentt,

There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

In general terms … a latex mattress will do best on a support system that is strong enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it and that has very little to no flex under the mattress and has a large enough support surface area and small enough gaps in between the load bearing surfaces or slats (generally 3" or preferably less) to prevent the mattress from sinking or sagging into any gaps in the support system over time.

It sounds like your bedframe is designed to be used in combination with a regular or low profile foundation or a bunkie board to provide suitable support under the mattress and isn’t meant to be used directly under a mattress since the gaps between the slats would be too large. The legs to the floor for center support would probably be fine with a suitable foundation. Some of the suggestions in post #5 here may also be helpful if you want to reinforce the strength of your bedframe along with using a suitable foundation.

If you can provide a picture then it would be easier to make suggestions if you want to modify your bedframe itself instead of using a foundation.

Phoenix

Here’s a picture of the bed frame, obviously not enough support for just the latex mattress. Easiest to buy a box spring, but more slats with center supports to the floor would be a much cheaper option. I was also thinking I could connect all the slats with a 1x3 running from headboard to foot just to make sure they don’t move around. Just not sure if that’s enough support…?

Put some T-slats in between the slats you already have, leaving about 3" gap between slats and you would be fine.

Thanks Jeff :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the input, you gave me the courage to give a home solution a shot. And if my wife ends up on the floor I’ll have someone to blame :slight_smile: After reading through some of the past posts I went to Home Depot and went shopping for 1x6 boards and 2x4 to support the slat center to the floor. I went when it was slow and they made all my cuts. I also plan to try Command strips to secure the edges of the slats to the frame so they don’t move around on me. I didn’t want to mess with screwing into the frame so we’ll see how this goes. Final piece I’m considering is covering the 1x6 boards with fabric to reduce any splinter snag issues when I put the mattress on/off. I’ll post a picture of this creation when I get it done. Project cost is under $100 so far…

Hi Contentt,

I’m looking forward to it … thanks :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Success…

Hi Contentt,

It looks like you made it solid enough for an elephant to sleep on it :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Phoenix