Need latex help or I will lose my mind! Ugg and it's just pillows!

I am looking to make pillow for my kids. I like ALL natural nothing chemical! I want shredded latex and will mix with wool bolus.

My issue is everyone/everything is confusing with material honestly and labeling!!! Does latexco/sleep comp make their own 100% natural and/or organic latex with latex foam shipped in from Sri Lanka or do they in fact import already formed latex from Arpico in Sri Lanka? Someone mentioned to me to be careful of raw material coming to US because has to be fumigated or something? I want the purest and best dunlop shredded latex around and would like to know whom to get this from? I have also watched scary video’s of shredding overseas (doing in streets, dirty, not all latex, etc) and therefore think I want shredded here in US no?

Lastly, if you happen to know where I can get the “ECO WOOL” (the kind that is with woolgatherer mill) and those that unite under the term “Eco wool” to do things organically even without certification. I only seem to find wool bolus being organic from New Zealand…is that just as good? Some say they deal with farmers locally for wool bolus but neither organic or true “Eco Wool”

Please help…pillows are taking over my days :frowning:

Hi Bridgett,

Latexco in the US makes their own continuous pour blended Dunlop latex but they also sell 100% natural and organic Dunlop latex made by Latex Green in Sri Lanka and blended and 100% natural Talalay made by Radium in Holland and they can also supply other types or blends of latex as well on occasion but they don’t sell directly to consumers.

Latex that is imported on untreated wooden pallets is subject to import fumigation requirements (see here) but this type of shipment method (using untreated wood) would be very unlikely because fumigation is more costly than using treated wood pallets (fumigated or heat treated) in the first place so it’s not something that any experienced business that was importing latex would do.

I’m not sure how you are defining “best” and the choice between different types and blends of latex is a preference choice more than a “better/worse” choice. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but all of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

There is also more information about the different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

Again I don’t know how you are defining “just as good” but there is a list of wool suppliers in post #3 here that you can talk to and ask how their wool compares to other types or blends of wool that they are aware of. They will be the most reliable source of information about the specifics of the wool that they sell and the processing methods or wool breeds that they each use. The Wool Gatherers would also be the best source of information about any retailers that sell their wool directly to the public.

Post #4 here also includes some sources for DIY materials for pillows as well.

There is also more information about pillows in general in the main pillow topic here.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! To be honest “my best” means I don’t care really of comfort (as much) because my main objective is complete as 100% as can get shredded latex…in dunlop. So, to make sure I understand…Latexco only makes a blended here in the US and doesn’t make anything 100% natural or organic in US, but import those in solid form? So, if Latexco is for Latex Green, then who is the seller of Arpico or is just through them? Is Latex Green better as for quality assurance (clean, no chemical, honesty wise) or is Arpico?

My idea of “Best” for wool is the exact same for the latex above…Clean, no chemicals and honesty.

Hi Bridgett,

Yes.

Latex Green, Arpico, CoCo latex and other latex manufacturers are all manufacturers that only sell to mattress manufacturers or retailers and not to the general public. All three of them (as well as others) make organic certified latex as well as 100% natural latex that would all be closely comparable since they meet the same standards either for their organic certification or for their “safety” certification.

Wool that is organic certified would all meet the same certification although the breed or fineness and other properties of the wool and other specifics about how it is produced could still be different. If it doesn’t have an organic certification then the best source for the type of more detailed information you are looking for about how each manufacturer farms, blends, scours, and cards their wool would be a phone call with the manufacturer who will know more about their own wool and production methods than anyone else.

Phoenix

Just want to say again thank you for such quick responses and that I have noticed how quick you are with others and how in depth you go for their information. Thank you very much!

Bridgett,

I made adult and grandchild pillows consisting of natural talalay latex (shredded) and organic wool bolus. My simple, least expensive choice was to buy a pillows of each content and mix to appropriate loft.

I don’t have time now for a detailed explanation, but if you wish more info, PM me and I’ll share my experience after the grandchildren release me. :slight_smile:

obsasan makes a combo organic latex/wool pillow. each has it’s own compartment, because there is a zipper you can easily mix/remove/put aside the wool or latex. my husband has the pillow and loves it. but i wouldn’t call it cheap. https://obasan.ca/us/shop/saguenay-5-0/. the pillow is certified organic. they ship it out immediately. the pillows i ordered from them arrived one time overnight and another time in 2 days. unlike almost any other natural bedding company they are really fast with shipping with out any extra costs.

also try diynaturalbedding.com. they are the cheapest for making your own bedding. the wool they get from farm isn’t certified organic. but the farm they use follows organic farming practices to the letter. after a conversation with deborah and the the farm i think you will see it is the case. they have everything you could possible waht if you want to make your own pillows.

you can also contact

another bedding company run by a woman named deborah who is really nice. she basicially sells pure-rest at a cheaper price than anyone else. she also has some other things… and if they don’t make a combo pillow. i am sure if you asked she would. everything is organic.

Did you mix the wool bolus together with the latex or keep separate layers separated by an additional case? I am deciding which way I want to do it. Thanks!

Thank you for all your info!! I really like the sound of that Obasan pillow, but ouch the price! You aid you have the pillow? Can you tell me is the wool bolus separated by and internal extra case and the latex inside another…that way you can unzip and get at both individually? I was deciding if I wanted to mix together or keep separate. I was very much looking at DIY and I know for sure I will get some things from her, if not all. However, I am wanting latex that is shredded here in the US as I have seen videos of shredding over seas where they were shredding in the alley/street outside of building and soiled pieces of latex mixed with other stuff…it was bad. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

[quote=“mattress maven” post=58133]obsasan makes a combo organic latex/wool pillow. each has it’s own compartment, because there is a zipper you can easily mix/remove/put aside the wool or latex. my husband has the pillow and loves it. but i wouldn’t call it cheap. https://obasan.ca/us/shop/saguenay-5-0/. the pillow is certified organic. they ship it out immediately. the pillows i ordered from them arrived one time overnight and another time in 2 days. unlike almost any other natural bedding company they are really fast with shipping with out any extra costs.

also try diynaturalbedding.com. they are the cheapest for making your own bedding. the wool they get from farm isn’t certified organic. but the farm they use follows organic farming practices to the letter. after a conversation with deborah and the the farm i think you will see it is the case. they have everything you could possible waht if you want to make your own pillows.

you can also contact

another bedding company run by a woman named deborah who is really nice. she basicially sells pure-rest at a cheaper price than anyone else. she also has some other things… and if they don’t make a combo pillow. i am sure if you asked she would. everything is organic.
[/quote]

Thank you for all your info!! I really like the sound of that Obasan pillow, but ouch the price! You aid you have the pillow? Can you tell me is the wool bolus separated by and internal extra case and the latex inside another…that way you can unzip and get at both individually? I was deciding if I wanted to mix together or keep separate. I was very much looking at DIY and I know for sure I will get some things from her, if not all. However, I am wanting latex that is shredded here in the US as I have seen videos of shredding over seas where they were shredding in the alley/street outside of building and soiled pieces of latex mixed with other stuff…it was bad. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Did you mix the wool bolus together with the latex or keep separate layers separated by an additional case? I am deciding which way I want to do it. Thanks!

the wool is separated from the latex. they are in two different compartments. and there is a different zipper for each compartment. my DH finds the pillow a dream.

from my experience with obasan they are truly a very good company. unlike other high end bedding companies they are transparent about mattress component details. they don’t claim any detail is proprietary. if you look on line obsasan shares their organic certificates for each material they use. and if you ask they will tell you anything you need to know. i have been really impressed by them when it comes to bedding. i have not bought a mattress from them but i did ask them a ton of questions about their mattress and their bedding. i have the wool pillow by them and i love it. i tried others by pure-rest and holy lamb and they didn’t compare for me.

from my experience you can’t go wrong with diynaturalbedding. i will say a million times that deborah is completely transparent and clear about everything and will do her best to make sure you are happy with whatever you want to accomplish. one of the best companies i have ever dealt with.

i wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Hi Bridgett,

I would second mattress maven’s comments about Deborah at diynaturalbedding and she has also made some great contributions to the forum here as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix