Need Mattress Topper Advice - For Phoenix

I am desperately seeking some advice on mattress toppers and my hope is you might be able to steer me in the right direction. For the past year I have been researching mattress toppers with no luck. This is what led me to this forum and you. I currently have a memory foam topper which I think is 4# density and 3". It is way past the time of needing to be replaced and the pain when I sleep is coming back. I do not think the one I have currently was that great which is why I have been researching toppers. I am not sure if I should get memory or latex, what brands have great quality and are trustworthy to order off the internet, what size, density etc. would be best for me? If product warrants the higher cost due to its quality I would be willing to pay more.

A little about me, I suffer from various issues that cause me pain, for ex. fibromyalgia, migraines, etc. I get pain in my hips and shoulder while lying on my side. Because of this about 5 years ago I bought a temper-pedic mattress. At the time I did not do a lot of research and I bought the basic model in a twin (due to finances and a small living space I went with the twin, a choice I now regret!). I am not sure which model I have but I think it is the bottom or just a little better. At the time I thought it would be less expensive to get the basic mattress and supplement with memory form mattress topper. Another choice I am regretting. I am 5’1, 125 pounds. I sleep on my side. I also use a latex pillow to help with my neck support.

I also seem to sleep extremely hot. I am not sure if it is the topper, the mattress or both. It would be great if I could solve all my issues and not be so hot as well. But if I have to suffer the heat to sleep comfortably I will continue to do so.

I hope is you might be able might be able to give me a few thoughts on what products you think might work for me based on your knowledge and experience.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jackie

Hi udoknowjac,

The brand of a mattress or topper is just a label and isn’t nearly as important as the materials inside it so I would focus on the type and quality of the materials rather than the brand. The type of materials in a topper is a personal preference rather than a “better/worse” choice but all materials have higher and lower quality versions that will be more or less durable.

While there is no formula or theory that can predict which topper would work best with each person on any specific mattress (the effect of a topper will depend on the person and on the specifics of the mattress underneath it) … post #2 here and the posts it links to have some guidelines that can help you make the best possible topper choice. It also includes a link to some of the better sources for toppers that I’m aware of.

I’m not sure what “symptoms” you are trying to correct a topper can work well for adding softness and pressure relief for a mattress that is too firm as long as it is still in good condition and doesn’t have any sagging or soft spots. If a mattress is too soft or has developed sags or soft spots over time then at best a topper could be a temporary or partial solution and at worst it could make some issues worse (see post #4 here)

You can read more about the different factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. In general memory foam will tend to be less breathable and warmer than other types of foam (polyfoam or latex) although some memory foams tend to be cooler than others (see post #6 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I have read through all the posts and links you gave so I think I am a little more informed but could still use some advice. I am providing a little more information based on some of the items I read in case it helps.

I researched my mattress and I believe I have a Temper-Pedic Symphony Bed purchased in 2008. The mattress is in great condition, no sagging or soft spots. Again a little about me: I am 5’1, 125 pounds and I sleep on my side. I also seem to sleep extremely hot. I am not trying to “correct” any issues with the topper. What I am looking for is pressure relief which I think from my research means I need to “fine tune the thickness and softness of the upper layers of the mattress”. As I mentioned, my mattress is in good shape but on its own it does not give me enough pressure relief and I experience pain/discomfort while sleeping. I believe from what I read that I need a topper that will create a comfort layer on top of my mattress. I think I want a “fair bit” or “a lot” of pressure relief, as much as possible without creating alignment or other issues.

One of your posts mentioned that for a side sleeper the “comfort layers generally need to be a little softer and/or thicker” and that “In general a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3” and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there" For pressure relief I read “it’s usually about the thickness and softness of the upper layers of your mattress and the “cradle” that is formed when you sink in to the top layers.”
In another post I read “It would also be important to know if your current mattress has any memory foam in the upper layers (the kind that leaves an impression for a while when you press deeply on the surface) because if you add a topper over a slow response foam that is heat sensitive it will make this layer firmer and this needs to be taken into account as one of the “moving parts” when you add a topper.”

Since I sleep on my side, am looking for pressure relief and have a memory foam mattress I am not sure with all of those things combined what type, size or softness of a topper would be a good place to start? I realize that you cannot predict which topper would be the best but could you offer advice on what might be better choices based on your experience and the information I have provided?

For example in regards to Latex or Memory Foam does one work better in combination with a memory foam mattress? Does one type typically give more relief to those with pain issues who are seeking pressure relief? I think from what I read that memory foam might be the better way to go if you have any thoughts please let me know. With memory foam, what are your thoughts on possibly adding a memory foam topper in specs to resemble a higher quality temper-pedic mattress than I currently have?
In regards to size, would a 3" topper still be a good place for me to start?

What density or firmness should I look for? I read a lot about the density of foams but to be honest I became a little confused by all the information. I am not sure where to start. I know I should get a higher density foam 4 lbs or more but beyond that I could use some advice. From what I read it seems that open celled foams are cooler but if not available with the other specs I need I will look to other options for relieving some of the heat.

I appreciate any advice or thoughts you can offer

Hi udoknowjac,

These are the types of “issues” I meant and that a mattress topper is most suitable for correcting (pain/discomfort from a mattress that is too firm but is otherwise still in good condition).

Based on your description and your past experiences and wanting “a fair bit to a lot” more pressure relief vs sleeping directly on your mattress … it seems to me that a 3" topper would be in the range you are looking for. I would also suggest that with your weight a softer version of memory foam would be a good option. This is also confirmed by your previous experience with a 3" topper which seemed to be successful.

While lower density memory foam generally feels softer to most people … this is not always the case because different versions of memory foam can have different properties and firmness levels regardless of their density.

When you are in this type of situation and you can’t test a mattress/topper combination ahead of time then the knowledge and experience of a retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with can be one of the most important parts of a successful purchase. While nobody can know for certain which topper you will do best with in “real life” in combination with a specific mattress until you actually sleep on it (because there are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences involved) your odds of success are much higher if you talk with someone that can accurately describe the “feel” of their toppers and how they compare to others on the market and can give you some good guidance. If you are not confident with your choice then their return or exchange policies may also be an important part of your personal value equation in case your choice turns out to be less than ideal.

So this will hopefully give you some general guidelines and the next step would be to talk with the suppliers listed in post #4 here. The ones that are members here will certainly be knowledgeable and will give you accurate information about their toppers and how they feel and perform for most people. If you give them good information about your circumstances and experiences they will also be able to give you additional guidance about which of the options they have available that they believe would have the best chance of success and then you can choose the one that you are most comfortable and confident with based on your conversations and/or that has a good return or exchange policy that will give you options if in spite of “best judgement” you end up making a choice that doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Could you help me understand what mattress protectors and/or memory foam topper covers might be needed? As I mentioned previously, I have a tempurpedic bed and use a memory foam topper on top. It is very hot when I sleep so I am wondering if a mattress cover or topper cover might help with this? Is there a reason to buy both? I believe I will be getting a new 3" topper with probably alb density in case that matters. I would appreciate any advice and any brands you might recommend.

Thank you for your assistance

Hi udoknowjac,

A mattress protector is designed to protect the mattress or any toppers under it from the fluids you release each night, from dead skin cells, from spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in clean and hygienic condition.

A topper cover is meant to protect a topper from oxidation, from damage with handling, and to some degree to exposure to substances that can harm it but they are not generally waterproof or water resistant so it’s usually a good idea to use a mattress protector over a topper.

I would tend to use both a cover for a topper and then a mattress protector over the sleeping surface. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

You could probably “make do” without a topper cover (although it may increase the risk of damage or shorten the useful life of the topper) but I would make sure that you have a mattress protector over your sleeping surface that can be easily removed and cleaned.

Yes … anything in between you and the mattress can affect temperature regulation in one way or the other including the fabric used for a topper, the topper material itself, your mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding. The better the moisture wicking and ventilation against your skin the better the temperature regulation will generally be. The post I linked earlier has much more information about the many variables that combine together to affect sleeping temperature and the relative benefits of different materials that you can use as a guideline in your choices if temperature regulation is your main goal. I would keep in mind that anything that you use over memory foam can affect the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam which can make memory foam that is more temperature sensitive feel firmer.

I would also keep in mind that if you add a thicker topper for temperature regulation (vs a thinner mattress pad or mattress protector) that it will also have a significant effect on the feel and performance of the mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and will do more than just affect sleeping temperature.

You are in a lighter weight range and appear to prefer the feel of memory foam so I would probably consider a more breathable and faster responding 4 lb memory foam or gel memory foam. 2" - 3" would be the most common thickness depending on how much more pressure relief you think you need.

I don’t recommend any specific brands since almost all the North American memory foam manufacturers make a memory foam that would be in the range of density and properties that was suitable for you. Instead of going by brand … I would focus on talking with some of the better memory foam suppliers that are listed in the topper guidelines I linked earlier and give them as much detail as you can about your criteria so they can help you make the best possible choice out of the toppers they have available and help you compare their memory foam toppers to others that you are considering.

Their return or exchange policies may also be an important consideration if you aren’t confident that a topper you purchase will work well for you.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the information.I am having tough time figuring out if wool or thicker stretch cotton cover would be best for helping with the temperature control? For whichever is best would you suggest getting a topper and mattress pad made of the same material?

Hi udoknowjac,

Wool is a better temperature regulator around a foam material than just a stretch cotton but it can also have more of an effect on the feel of the foam as well.

It would depend entirely on the circumstances. A mattress pad or topper will affect the feel and performance of the mattress so if all you are looking for was temperature control I would probably start by looking at my sheets and bedding and the mattress protector I was using (see post #89 here) so that it had the least possible effect on the mattress in terms of PPP. If you also wanted to change the feel or the pressure relief of the mattress then I would consider a mattress pad (which is thicker than a protector) or a topper which is thicker yet (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

Sorry I realize my last message may have confused you. I am looking for a mattress topper for the reasons described in my first post. I wanted to know if the mattress topper cover and mattress cover should both be the same material to help with the heat issue. Also, I think in the message you linked me to previously it was all mattress covers/protectors. Do you have links to mattress topper covers?

I also just came across gel memory foam toppers on the dream foam site. Can it you give me your thoughts on these? I am looking to get a topper for the pressure relief but it would be great if they slept less hot since that is an issue since I also have a tempurpedic mattress. Just wondering if a gel one would be as good for my needs as the regular memory foam.

As an FYI I tried to reach Rocky Mountain mattress several times without any response. They never returned my calls.

I am currently looking to buy a topper from either My Luxury Mattress, Dreamfoam or Sleep Warehouse. I think these all met the criteria I read about on your site. If you think one is better than the other I would appreciate your input!

Hi udoknowjac,

The cover of a topper doesn’t need to be the same material as the cover of the mattress no … and the topper and its cover will have a much bigger effect on temperature regulation than the mattress cover because it is closer to your body (see post #2 here about temperature regulation).

Many toppers already have a cover that is included in the topper purchase but for those that don’t the topper guidelines that I linked in post #2 earlier in this thread includes a link to the better topper sources I’m aware of and includes several sources for topper covers as well (to save you scrolling back it’s in post #4 here).

They would certainly be a good quality/value choice for those who prefer gel memory foam over other topper materials. Gel memory foam in general will be a little cooler than some types of regular memory foam … particularly when you are first going to sleep. They can also be a little faster responding and a little less temperature sensitive than “regular” memory foam. There is more about the different types of gel memory foams in post #2 here and there is more about the different cooling technologies that are used with memory foam in post #6 here (one of which is adding gel).

It’s certainly not good to hear this and I’ll try and call them to see what may be happening. (ADDED: I just called them and they answered right away so I’m not sure what may have happened).

Which one would be “better” would depend on the specifics of the topper and which one was the best “match” for the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including their knowledge and experience about their toppers and how they compare to other toppers that are available in the market).

Given that you had previous success with the 3" 4 lb memory foam topper that you are now replacing it makes sense to me that unless you now have a different preference based on testing other types of materials (such as latex) that a similar topper would be a good choice and a gel memory foam topper (or a memory foam topper that has a higher airflow) would have a fairly good chance of success both in terms of PPP as well as helping with the heat issue (if the topper you are considering is either cooler because of the gel or more ventilating than the memory foam topper you are replacing).

Phoenix

Thank you for all your help. I went with the Aerus from Sleep Warehouse. They turned out to be the most helpful and also most available.

Just as an FYI when I called Rocky Mountain they answered the phone but it was always the answering service. I tried at least 7 times and left two messages. I never got a call back from them

Hi udoknowjac,

Thanks for the update on your topper :slight_smile:

I’ll see if I can find out what may be happening. I also left a message for them to call me back and talked to the answering service but they didn’t return my call either.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

As I mentioned in my previous post I purchased a 3 inch 4 pound Aerus Memory Foam Topper from Sleep Warehouse. When I ordered it I spoke with the salesperson about a topper cover and he wasn’t convinced it would help with the temperature control. I think this differs from your information so I wanted to come back to you for a little more advice. I did read thru all the posts that you sent to me but for a little background, I am currently going thru Chemotherapy which is making my ability to hunt thru information a bit difficult. I apologize for asking for help once again but I would greatly appreciate any additional advice you could offer.

As a reminder I have a Tempurpedic Mattress. I went with a memory foam topper because at the time it was the best choice for pressure relief and my other needs. I now think perhaps a different material might be better considering my medical situation but perhaps I can change at a later date. For now, I want to see if getting a topper cover would elevate some of the heat when sleeping. The temperature is fine when I fall asleep but a few hours later I wake very warm even though I keep my a/c turned down to about 74.

I am not sure in my current situation I can afford a really expensive mattress cover and a topper cover. I thought perhaps it might be best to try with covering the topper first and then if needed cover the mattress as well. Unless you think covering both would make a dramatic difference in the warmth?

What is the best choice of material for the most breathable cover while affecting the feel of the topper the least? Also perhaps a little water resistant? I think from my research the cotton covers affect the feel of the topper less than the wool is that correct? I read that wool is both water resistant and breathable but in one post you mentioned wool can be “little thicker so they will have a little more effect on the mattress comfort layers”. Therefore, I would appreciate your thoughts on what type might be best suit my needs.

Since I am going thru chemotherapy if there is a topper cover that would protect the topper from the chemicals when I sweat, and also is very breathable, that would probably be best option. But, my priority would be a cover that helps with temperature while affecting the pressure relief the least. Being water resistant being the least important. If needed, I could buy a new topper at the end of this medical stuff.

If I could find one large enough, would I be better off with a mattress protector that fits both the mattress and the topper or just a cover for the topper?

I reviewed the link of covers you sent previously and I saw one topper cover offered. The rest seem to be mattress covers. On the Sleep Ez site I was a little confused by their listings. Do you think one of these would be best for my situation? https://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

Sleep Warehouse offers a bamboo topper and a cotton cover. The salesman I spoke with did not recommend the cotton one and they do not have a lot of detail on the bamboo. Do you have any thoughts on their offerings? https://www.sleepwarehouse.com/aerus4lbmemoryfoammattresstopper.aspx

Do you know any other sites that might offer topper covers that fit the specs you mention?

Thank you again for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Hi udoknowjac,

I did talk to Rocky Mountain Mattress (they called me back) and they were surprised that you (or any of their customers) hadn’t received a call back and they said they would talk to their customer service staff to find out what may be happening. It’s certainly not the norm for them.

Memory foam is a warmer and more insulating material that stores heat more than other faster responding types of foam but if I was looking to lower the sleeping temperature then I would first look at the parts of your sleeping system that were closest to your body. With a topper this would include the topper cover, the mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding. Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover and it’s also under the topper and deeper inside your sleeping system so that isn’t something that I would consider changing.

If you are considering a topper cover (not a mattress cover) I would probably go with a knit cover made from either cotton or a viscose type of material such as a bamboo blend which are breathable and does a good job wicking moisture. It wouldn’t have to be waterproof because you would also have a mattress protector.

For your mattress protector I would consider either a stretch cotton or even better a wool/cotton protector which is more water resistant and where the wool can provide better temperature regulation even though it may have a little more effect on your mattress. I would use the protector over the mattress and the topper.

There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here but I would probably look at natural or “semi synthetic” fabrics here as well which includes cotton, viscose (again such as bamboo, tencel etc), or linen (which would probably be the coolest of the natural fibers but they are also much more costly).

These would probably be the most effective changes with the memory foam materials you are currently using and hopefully they will make “enough” difference that you can sleep a little cooler.

These are mattress covers … not topper covers. I don’t know if they sell topper covers but I would certainly call and ask.

I’m not familiar with them no or how stretchy they are but the bamboo would probably be a little cooler (more breathable and moisture wicking) than the cotton.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick response. I am still a little confused, could you please review the questions below?

Do you have any suggestions on sites where I could find this type of topper cover?

[quote]For your mattress protector I would consider either a stretch cotton or even better a wool/cotton protector which is more water resistant and where the wool can provide better temperature regulation even though it may have a little more effect on your mattress. I would use the protector over the mattress and the topper.
[/quote]

Sorry I am a little confused on the above, You said “Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover and it’s also under the topper and deeper inside your sleeping system so that isn’t something that I would consider changing.” But here you mention a mattress protector. Are you suggesting a mattress protector on top of the quilted cover already on the Temperpedic? If so, would the additional mattress protector make a big difference on the temperature because as you mentioned it is “deeper inside your sleeping system”?

Also, are you suggesting I purchase one mattress protector to cover both the temperpedic mattress and the mattress topper instead of a Topper Cover alone? Would this be the best option?

Thank you for the help

Hi udoknowjac,

Based on their website it appears that Sleep Warehouse sells Bamboo covers and there are also some other sources in the component post here (but you would need to check their websites or call them to make sure they sell topper covers that would fit your topper and not just mattress covers).

I’m also a little confused about why you are confused and we may be getting lost in different terminology. Sometimes the same word is used to describe different things. My reply in post #6 here covered most of this but I’ll add a few comments here.

A mattress cover is the cover that is around your mattress and is part of the mattress itself. The top part of your mattress cover would be the fabric that your topper is sitting on so if you are using a topper then your mattress cover would be under the topper and further away from your body than the topper (and would have little effect on temperature). A topper cover would perform the same function as a mattress cover except it would enclose the topper and would be closer to your body than the mattress cover. A mattress protector is a product that is used over a mattress (or over a mattress/topper combination) that is used to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition and protect your mattress or the topper (including any cover around either one) from being stained from body fluids or accidents. It would be right underneath your sheets so it can have a more significant effect on sleeping temperature along with your sheets which is what you sleep on directly and are in the closest contact to your skin. Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover (the fabric around the mattress) so you don’t need another one.

The products we are discussing are 1.) a cover for your topper and 2.) a mattress protector and 3.) your sheets which are the materials that would be closest to your body. If you are using a topper with a cover and also a protector then from the top down (listed layer by layer and excluding your pyjamas or what you wear to bed which can also have an effect) you would be sleeping on your sheets, then your protector, then the top surface of the topper cover, then the topper material (memory foam) itself, then the bottom surface of the topper cover (which would have little effect because it’s under the topper memory foam material), then the mattress cover (which would also have little effect on sleeping temperature), and then the top layers of memory foam in your mattress (which may have some effect because they would affect the heat that is stored in your mattress and would also have some effect on how deeply you sink into the mattress and how insulating it is).

I’m not sure what you are referring to when you mentioned a “quilted cover” because the Symphony mattress had a smooth cover (you can see a picture here). Can you clarify what you are referring to and whether this is the cover that is part of the mattress itself? It’s possible that you have the Celebrity Bed or the Grandbed because both of them had a quilted cover around the mattress. Either way though … it wouldn’t make much difference if you are talking about the original cover around the mattress and not an additional component that we haven’t included in our discussions.

The “best” option would be the one that works best for you based on your actual sleeping experience and with a memory foam mattress there is no way for me to know for certain whether any option or combination of options will be “enough” for you in terms of temperature regulation. If you use a topper cover that is more breathable and moisture wicking and a mattress protector on top of that which is also more temperature regulating (such as one of the wool/cotton choices like the St Dormier mentioned in the mattress protector post here) and then you are using sheets that can also help with temperature regulation then that would be about the best you could do within the limitations of your memory foam mattress and topper unless you were considering much thicker options that would have a much bigger effect on the feel and performance of your sleeping system.

Phoenix

I thought my memory foam topper questions/issues had ended but I think I may have to return my current one. I am sorry to bother you again but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts

As a reminder, I ordered 3 inch 4 pound Aerus Memory Foam Topper from Sleep Warehouse to place on top of my Tempur-Pedic mattress.

1. This topper seems a little too firm. It is not bringing any relief to my pressure points. I am wondering if a 3# would be better for me if I stay with memory foam?

2. The “offgassing” smell is still very strong after two weeks. I have not had this issue previously with toppers. Usually the smell dissipates after a week at the most. I aired it out for a week but when I put it on my bed it started to make everything including my mattress smell horrible so I have taken it back off.

3. I mentioned previously I am going through chemotherapy. Since I have been diagnosed with Cancer I am very concerned about what I put near and on my body. Sleep Warehouse said they use Certi-Pur foam but the smell has made me question the chemicals used in this memory foam. Between the chemicals and the heat issue mentioned in other posts I am now trying to decide if latex would be a better option for me? I think memory foam is supposed to be better for pain relief but I read on one of your posts that latex can be found to do this as well.

I realize I have asked a lot of you but I would appreciate your input on my situation.

Thank you,
Jacalyn

Hi udoknowjac,

The firmness of memory foam can vary with temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is compressed. It can also be affected by what you use on top of it (any cover on the topper, your mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding) so it may be worth checking the conditions in your room and checking on the effect of your mattress protector and your sheets to see if this makes any difference before replacing it.

The density of memory foam is only loosely related to firmness (any density can be made in a range of firmness levels) but in very general terms lower density memory foam will often (but not always) be softer, respond more quickly (have a slower “memory”), be less sensitive to temperature, and be less durable than higher density memory foam (although with a topper that can be replaced durability may not be as important). The most effective way to find out the specifics of a particular topper you are considering would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with the supplier who can help you compare their memory foams to others that they are familiar with. Only your own experience can really know whether a specific mattress/topper combination will work for you so the return policy for a topper may also be one of the more important parts of a purchase when you may need some trial and error to find the topper that works best for you.

Aerus is made by FXI and is CertiPur certified. Some batches of memory foam seem to have a stronger smell that lasts longer than others. It would normally have dissipated by about two weeks but it can sometimes take longer. Some people are also be sensitive to the smell of memory foam (or any foam) even when it’s CertiPur certified. In very general terms … the smell of memory foam tends to affect a larger percentage of people than other types of foam followed by polyfoam followed by latex which generally affects the lowest percentage of people of all the foam types.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/find-a-foam-supplier/fxi-foamex-innovations/

Some people are sensitive to the smell or “ingredients” of memory foam (or any foam) more than others even when it’s CertiPur certified. In very general terms … memory foam tends to affect a larger percentage of people than other types of foam but out of the three main foam types people that are chemically sensitive will typically (but not always) tend to do better with latex followed by polyfoam followed by memory foam.

All the layers and components of a sleeping system (the mattress and the topper) will affect every other layer and the mattress as a whole in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and there is no one material or single layer that is better than another for “pain relief” because it depends on how every layer in the sleeping system interacts with every other layer and with you along with the underlying reason for your pain. Any combination of materials can work well for some people but not for others so I would tend to be cautious with information that talks about one specific type of material being “better” than another for pain relief when it depends on the specifics of the sleeping system and the person. There are many people that will tell you that for them latex in a suitable thickness and firmness level provides better pressure relief than anything else they have tried and for them it works better than memory foam while others will tell you that their experiences and preferences are the other way around.

It’s also possible that your mattress has developed “virtual impressions” which are soft spots that aren’t visible and are usually under the heavier areas of the body and if this is the case and your pain is from part of your body sinking in to the mattress too far and putting a joint or your back out of alignment then a topper generally won’t help because it will just “follow” the soft spot underneath it.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply. I am going to look over all the information but a quick question. Are high quality latex toppers made with less chemicals, more “natural” than Certi-Pur memory foam?

Thank you

Hi udoknowjac,

That would depend on the natural latex percentage of the latex topper. Latex that uses a higher percentage of natural rubber that comes from a tree (or that only uses natural rubber except for the chemicals used to foam and cure the latex) would certainly be more natural than polyfoam or memory foam. Some polyfoam and memory foam do use a small percentage of polyols that are plant oil derivatives to replace the petrochemical polyols but this is only used to replace a relatively small percentage of one of the two main chemicals used to make polyfoam and memory foam (see post #2 here). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Synthetic latex is made primarily from petrochemicals but it is a very safe material and all the latex you are likely to encounter would be certified for harmful chemicals and VOC’s either by Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or Eco-Institut which have a little more stringent testing protocol than Certi-Pur.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Certification according to OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 |Archived Footprint 2: eco-institut.de/en/product-testing/mattresses-bedding/

Phoenix