Need new mattress soon.

Thank you for your reply! :slight_smile:

Interesting list. Unfortunately, the website of the second factory direct manufacturer you linked to (May Mattress Indy) indicates that they are no longer in business. Sad. :frowning: I will look through the rest, though!

Hi drm870,

Thanks for the heads up that they’ve decided to close their doors … and I’ve removed them from the list.

Phoenix

Well, I had the day off of work today, so I went to a few of the Indianapolis area places you listed today and the three mattresses that impressed me the most were the Bowles Silver Imperial (which I tested at Long’s Mattress in Castleton) and the Southerland Devotion Firm and Excellence Luxury Firm (both of which I tested at Indiana Mattress Company in Fishers). Unfortunately, I’m doing this kind of wrong, as I tested the mattresses before finding out what their specs were. You wouldn’t happen to know the specs of these models yourself, would you? (I sent an email to Indiana Mattress Company and plan to send one to Long’s Mattress.)

I also went to Village Mattress to see what they had (since I live in Zionsville and all). I tried the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and the Tempurpedic Weightless there, and noted that I liked the Weightless significantly more. I have to try more mattresses to be sure, but I think that I might like softer memory foam mattresses (as opposed to firmer spring mattresses). Weird…

I also went to Holder Mattress in Carmel and a local Mattress Firm – the latter just to see what the experience would be like. I have to admit, even after reading your criticism here I found Mattress Firm to be a surprisingly disappointing experience.

In any case, Niagara Therapy is the last one I’m considering. I noticed that you listed them first. Does that mean that they’re the best option in the area relative to the others? (I’m asking because their Indianapolis location is a fair ways away from where I live.)

Thanks for all your help! :slight_smile:

PS. I am finding that I like the feel of pocket coil mattresses better than other types of innerspring mattresses. I’m not sure if this would help your advisement or not, but I figured I’d add it.

Hi drm870,

Unfortunately I don’t know the exact specs for any of them. There are some comments about the Silver series in post #17 here but I don’t know if they are still current so it would be safer to find out the current specs from them directly.

My “standard” approach would be to first confirm with the retailer that they have all the specs available (or will find them out) including form densities for a mattress I wanted to test and then if they confirm that they have them or will find them out I would test the mattress.

You can see some comments about the Tempurpedic weightless mattresses in post #2 here and in post #2 here. It sounds like you may prefer a mattress that uses a little less memory foam and has a more resilient material underneath it so it has a little less of the “sinking in” feel of memory foam.

No … they aren’t listed in any specific order (although with some of the lists the stores near the top would be the ones that are closest to the zip code that is the starting point for the search).

This would be a fairly common preference because pocket coils are more contouring and individually responsive than innersprings that are linked together with helical wire and they also transfer less motion that other types of innersprings (see the article about the different types of innersprings here).

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback so far and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any specific questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Well, I still have yet to receive a reply from Indiana Mattress Company, but I called the Long’s Mattress location in Castleton and can confirm that the specs you listed for the Imperial are still current.

Based on what I’ve said I like…if I end up going the Internet route, what do you think I should look for in a mattress?

Hi drm870,

This is much too broad a question to really be able to answer with any specifics because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to recommend or suggest a specific mattress or manufacturer based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I also don’t know the specifics of the mattresses you tested so there really isn’t a way to use them as a reference point but it’s very unlikely that you will be able to find an online mattress that “matches” a local mattress you tested that has the same materials and components and design although there may be many others that are also a good match for you in terms of PPP. For most people there would be many mattresses that would be a suitable choice even if they are different from each other.

In very general terms though if you are looking at an online mattress I would focus on the type of mattresses, materials, and components that your local testing indicates you tend to prefer (in the comfort layers and the support core) and make sure that the quality/durability of the materials is suitable for your body type.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress that is suitable for you (either locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them.

Phoenix

I tried some latex-topped mattresses at the Long’s Mattress in Greenwood after work today, and also further tried some memory foam ones. I can confirm that A) memory foam-topped mattresses are not enjoyable for me; and B) latex-topped ones should be fine. With that in mind…

I noticed the Tuft & Needle and Dreamfoam mattresses were mentioned as good value picks. I am eying them now. So my questions are:

• Between the Tuft & Needle 10, the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams, or the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 Customizable, which would be best spec-wise for my weight? If none of them would be durable enough, what would be good alternatives?

• Would a polyfoam mattress like the Tuft & Needle or the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 Customizable have a sinking feeling closer to memory foam? Or would it be closer to a latex hybrid (or even the TempurPedic Weightless) in terms of feel? If you can’t provide the answer to this question, I’ll probably ask for user feedback in the dedicated Tuft & Needle 10 thread.

Thanks again for all you do! :slight_smile:

Hi drm870,

I would be cautious with all of these either in terms of durability or suitability for your weight.

You can see some comments about the Tuft & Needle and other “one firmness fits all” mattresses relative to higher weight ranges in post #3 here. The 2.8 lb high performance polyfoam comfort layer would be fine but the 1.8 lb polyfoam in the base layer is just a little lower than I would normally suggest in your weight range although it could still be a reasonable “lower budget compromise”. The mattress itself is in a firmer range and would have reasonable odds of being suitable for you (and has a great return policy if it isn’t).

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams uses Talalay latex in the comfort layer which would be a very durable material in the right firmness level and is suitable for any weight range but it also uses a 1.5 lb polyfoam base layer which would be a lower density choice than I would normally consider at your weight because the durability of the deeper layers will be more of a factor in durability in higher weight ranges that compress the deeper layers more than lighter weights. I would lean towards a higher density polyfoam base layer such as the 2.17 lb polyfoam in the Brooklyn Bedding latex/polyfoam hybrid mattresses (which is their sister company) such as the Bamboo Bliss.

The 12 in one customizable uses all 2 lb polyfoam which meets the minimum density guidelines I would normally suggest for your weight range but it also comes with a soft layer which may be too soft for your weight even if it was deeper in the mattress so I would be somewhat cautious about suitability in terms of PPP with this mattress although it has 12 different firmness options and also has a good return policy (although it’s not free). You may find you need to remove the softer layer and buy a 3" layer of a good quality and firmer material to replace it.

Polyfoam is the same material that you will find in most couches although there are different versions of polyfoam both in terms of density/durability, firmness levels, contouring, and resilience (springiness). While the “feel” of a mattress or different materials is very subjective and different people can describe their experience on the same mattress quite differently … you can see some comments about the high performance polyfoam in the Tuft & Needle in posts #2 and #6 here and posts #227 and #231 here. It would have some of the contouring properties of memory foam without the temperature sensitivity, slow response, and low resilience of memory foam. The polyfoam in the 12 in 1 customizable will be closer to the feel and resilience of the polyfoam in a good quality sofa that was a similar firmness level. They would both be “in between” the more resilient feel of latex and the slow response and low resilience of memory foam but I would talk to them in person so you can get a more reliable sense of the “feel” of their mattresses because they will be a more reliable source of information about the “feel” of their own mattresses than I am.

The weightless mattresses use a thinner layer of memory foam in the top layer and then a layer of a more resilient material underneath it and none of the mattresses you are considering have memory foam comfort layers so they wouldn’t be similar to the weightless mattresses. Some mattresses that have a similar design to the weightless mattresses are in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I contacted Tuft & Needle and they’ve gotten back with me. From the sound of it, I think their 10" model may be worth a try. Haven’t decided yet if I’m going to go for it, though, or get into the Bamboo Bliss’ price range. If I do the latter, I may end up considering the Arizona Premium Mattress Company’s “Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex Mattress” (which I just spotted today). Seems like it might be a good fit for me as well. What do you think?

Hi drm870,

I can’t speak to how well it will match your specific needs and preferences (I don’t have any personal experience with the mattress and Arizona Premium would be a much better source of guidance about matching their mattresses and different firmness choices to different body types and sleeping positions than I am) but I can certainly confirm that it uses high quality and durable materials and components and there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability. If you are comfortable that it will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (either with your initial firmness choice or with a layer exchange) then it would certainly be a good quality/value choice that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Question as I continue to go through options: Am I right to believe that Ultimate Dreams’ “Natural” model would be a better fit for me, since it has a 2 lb polyfoam support core (as opposed to a 1.5 lb core in the normal model)? (I also suspect that Dunlop may be more to my taste, based on the stated differences between it and Talalay latex, but that’s an aside for now…)

Hi drm870,

Yes … the 2 lb polyfoam would be more durable and with your weight you would compress the deeper layers below the latex more so the difference in durability would be more important than it would for someone that was in a much lower weight range.

Phoenix

Well, I’m inching closer to the time when the purchase shall be made. Some circumstances have delayed it so far, but I’m getting there. I’ve narrowed it down to the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 ($399) with an extra firm layer in place of the soft layer, the Tuft & Needle 10 ($600), or the new Brooklyn Bedding mattress ($700) for its relatively high-quality specs for the price.

There is something I hadn’t mentioned earlier, that perhaps I should have been more forthcoming about: I will not be paying for the mattress in full. I still live with my parents, and they’ll be footing at least part of the bill. They’d like for the bed’s price to stay as close to $500 (or under) as possible, though I think I can convince them to go for a more expensive mattress if I pay for a greater part of the cost. The bigger problem, though, is convincing them to go for an online mattress. I’ve run it by them before, and they aren’t exactly comfortable with the prospect of purchasing a mattress for me that I haven’t actually tried yet. The only mattresses I have found in my area that comes close to their price preference are a $599 Simmons BeautyRest (I know, I know), a $599 Southerland, and a $449 Symbol set – none of which I’ve been able to get the full specs on. In any case, any ideas on how I can convince them to give an online purchase a try? (And no, I’m not sure showing them this forum will do it – even though it has for me. :slight_smile: )

PS. Confounding the issue is that I personally think they should get a new mattress soon, too – my dad’s side of my parent’s bed has a quite noticeable visible (!) body impression at this point.

Hi drm870,

I really don’t know how to “convince” anyone about anything other than just telling them the facts and letting them make up their own minds.

1. The choices you are considering are higher quality/value and more durable choices than the mattresses you are considering locally.

2. They have great options after a purchase (either by rearranging layers with the 12 in 1 customizable or a free return policy with the others) so there is little to no risk in trying them and you can use your bedroom instead of a showroom to test them.

3. You could point out the impression in their mattress and they could try it themselves and may even decide that it’s a better mattress than the one they are currently sleeping on.

IMO all of these would be compelling points but of course you know your parents better than I do and I have no way to know how they would respond to any of them.

Phoenix

Well, talked with the 'rents. They indicated that, when the time comes to buy, they’d be willing to give the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 (with an extra firm layer in place of the soft) a try. The relatively low price and the customizability won them over, as they perceived it to be a lower risk as a result. (The lack of of those aspects in the Brooklyn Bedding and Tuft & Needle mattresses turned them off from them, so I hope the 12-in-1 works.)

One question: I brought up buying a wireframe foundation, and my father asked “Why wouldn’t your current box springs work?” I replied that more modern mattresses work best on a solid foundation. He then said, “Well, couldn’t we just put a piece of plywood over your current box springs?” I knew where he got the idea from: He did something similar back before I was born with his own mattress to firm it up. So my question is: Besides almost certainly voiding the warranty, are there any other reason to avoid running with this idea? I have enough money that I could (unlike with the mattress) offer to buy a foundation on my own if needed.

Hi drm870,

[quote]Well, talked with the 'rents. They indicated that, when the time comes to buy, they’d be willing to give the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 (with an extra firm layer in place of the soft) a try. The relatively low price and the customizability won them over, as they perceived it to be a lower risk as a result. (The lack of of those aspects in the Brooklyn Bedding and Tuft & Needle mattresses turned them off from them, so I hope the 12-in-1 works.)[/quote].

That’s good news :slight_smile:

You can see my thoughts about a solid surface support system in post #10 here. It would probably be fine in terms of providing suitable support for the mattress but there would be some additional risk because the plywood wouldn’t provide any ventilation or airflow under the mattress. It would probably be fine in terms of meeting the warranty criteria as well (although if the mattress did develop any mold or mildew issues then it probably wouldn’t be covered by a warranty) but I would check with Dreamfoam just to make sure.

Phoenix

An update: We’re still waiting for some work on my bedroom to be complete before we buy me a new mattress. I couldn’t help but notice that not only has the Dreamfoam website been redone, but the Ultimate Dreams mattress now says it comes with a 1.8 lbs polyfoam core instead of a 1.5 lbs one. Would that put it closer to the Tuft & Needle as a “lower budget compromise” mattress?

I ask because I bought a Simmons solid latex pillow recently and couldn’t help but notice how well it conformed to my head (while still being supportive) vs. my down alternative pillow. I have to think a mattress that has latex could be similar, even if it’s just present in the comfort layers. I know the #BME would probably be better in my weight range, but the Ultimate Dreams is relatively close to my parents’ $500 limit when applying the 10% off code.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Hi drm870,

It’s always nice to see when a manufacturer is able to upgrade their specs without changing their prices and in a word yes … the quality/density of their base foams are now the same as Tuft & Needle and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses (although the BestMattressEver uses 2 lb polyfoam which is higher quality yet) although of course they are in a different category because they use Talalay latex in the comfort layers which is a more costly material than the high performance polyfoam that Tuft & Needle uses in their comfort layer. While the choice between different types of materials is more of a preference choice than a better/worse" choice … neither one of them have any weak links in their design in terms of durability for anyone but those that are in much higher than average weight ranges (mid to higher 200’s or higher) where the density of the base foam would play a more significant role in the durability and useful life of a mattress.

Phoenix

Well, we still haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I think the time is getting closer – my father discovered a spring sticking out of his bed when he cut his leg on it. Given my parents’ bed sags on his end as well, I think he’s starting to realize both their and my mattresses need to be replaced.

Anyway, I gave Dreamfoam a call a while ago to see if a Cushion Firm would be good for their Ultimate Dreams mattress, given I had liked the feeling of said firmness when trying out beds elsewhere. (He said “yes”) I did in the process find out one problematic issue: whoever told me the 12-in-1 could be layer swapped (and I remember it not being Chuck) was wrong, apparently, as he said they only do that for the Freedom. In any case, my plan now is to buy a Tuft and Needle and try it out. I think they’d be better to start with as their return policy is better than Dreamfoam’s. If I don’t like it, I’ll donate it to charity, get my (read: our) money back and buy the Ultimate Dreams. (I know the #BME would probably be a better fit for me with my weight, but I don’t see them stretching to $750 over the other two $600 options.)

I’ll post again when anything happens. :slight_smile:

Hi drm870,

The Freedom and the 12 in 1 are both less likely to need a layer exchange or a return since there are 12 different firmness combinations available with both of them so you can customize the mattress after a purchase and eliminating the exchange option is part of the reason for the lower cost relative to other similar mattresses (exchange and return options are built in to the cost of a mattress).

Having said that, you’ve certainly made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix