need new memory foam mattress

Hi cstanger,

I think it’s always a good idea to include latex in your research if the budget allows for it because it certainly has advantages overall that are difficult to match with other materials either by itself or in combination with other materials.

That’s a very good idea if you do decide to go with latex as either part of all of your mattress. PLB makes some very nice mattresses and they are a great way to test the feel of Talalay latex but there is certainly better prices and value through many smaller manufacturers either locally or online including many of the members of this site.

Your shoulder issue is typical for a side sleeper where the upper layers (the comfort layers) are not thick or soft enough to relieve pressure on the shoulders. It’s only typical for side sleepers who have a mattress that doesn’t “match” their body weight and shape and sleeping positions. Even the highest quality mattress may be completely unsuitable for people that don’t fit the mattress they sleep on.

Because there are so many differences between people in terms of height/weight/body shape and variations in sleeping position, testing a mattress for what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Preferences) is the most accurate way to know which mattress is best for each individual. There are some guidelines here for different weights and body shapes and also here for different sleeping positions that can make a good starting point for testing though.

The good news is that the more the the person who is helping you knows about different materials and the more they know about how to fit a mattress to each person, the less you need to know and do all the research yourself. This is why choosing a good outlet (preferably a factory direct outlet or a smaller sleep shop that deals directly with the factory) is almost always your best choice. They also typically use better quality materials that are sold at lower prices than the mass market outlets and major brands.

Once you find the better outlets, half the battle is over because factual information replaces misleading information and transparency replaces marketing tactics and stories. The goal is to exclude the majority of outlets and manufacturers that are poor value and the remaining choices are the kind that can make shopping for a mattress much more enjoyable :slight_smile:

To add to the list of online memory foam outlets that I linked to earlier … post #21 here includes the members of this site that sell latex mattresses with various degrees of customizable options and that have better value. They can also act as a reference point to help you know the comparative value of latex mattresses sold locally.

Of course a local purchase where you can actually test the mattress is always the most accurate and least risky method of fitting a mattress to your needs and preferences but the online outlets I listed also do a great job of helping you choose the model that is best for you … especially if local testing has given you some good ideas of the general layering that works best for you.

Phoenix