Need reputable retailers for Latex Toppers in Littleton and Denver CO please

Hi Phoenix,
I am shopping for a Talalay Latex topper and would like to see both the Talalay Blend and Talalay Natural at each 2" and 3" thickness for a comfort layer.

Would 3" be more dense than the 2" of either the Talalay Blend and Talalay Natural?.

What store would be most helpful and honest to work with for a Talaly Latex topper.
The last place I visited went out of business, they tried to sell me a memory foam of their own brand. I didn’t want memory foam.

Thank you

Hi Maxie,

[quote]I am shopping for a Talalay Latex topper and would like to see both the Talalay Blend and Talalay Natural at each 2" and 3" thickness for a comfort layer.
Would 3" be more dense than the 2" of either the Talalay Blend and Talalay Natural?.[/quote]
By definition, either 3" or 2" of the exact same product would be the same density, as this would be a measurement of mass per unit volume. The overall mass of course would be larger for the bigger piece of foam. For a soft piece of Talalay, let’s say 19 ILD, the thicker 3" piece would usually feel softer overall than the 2" piece.

There are some differences between the properties of natural (NR) and synthetic (SBR) latex. They are subtle, but I’ll list a few here.

SBR latex (synthetic) is a less dense material with a slightly different chemical structure than natural rubber. It is made from two chemicals which are Styrene and Butadiene while natural rubber is primarily Isoprene.

Natural rubber is more elastic, denser, and less consistent in its structure and particle size. It also softens as it ages (the crosslinks in its chemical structure break over time)

SBR rubber is less elastic, less dense, and more consistent in its particle size and structure. If becomes stiffer as it ages (the crosslinks in its chemical structure increase over time).

Because natural rubber is a more dense material … it weighs more than SBR and would have a higher compression modulus (gets firmer faster) but because of its elasticity would also be a little more conforming.

In practical terms all of these differences are relatively small in the cured foam and many people would not feel significant differences between the two in side by side testing. Natural would be slightly more “springy or buoyant” and more “supportive” while synthetic would generally feel a little softer and be slightly more pressure relieving (would allow for slightly more sinking in and cradling). The thicker the layers that are being compared the more it may be possible to feel a difference (for example someone may not feel the difference between two 3" layers of each material but they may feel a difference between 9" of each material).

Those who value a more natural product for personal reasons and are willing to pay for it (in price and possibly lower durability), or who can feel a difference and prefer the feel that comes from the greater elasticity and compression modulus of the natural would likely choose the 100% natural Talalay.

Those who value the increased consistency, greater choice of softness/firmness levels, or lower cost of the blend or who can feel a difference in pressure relief, would likely choose the blend.

Both are great choices and in the end the choice between them is part of each person’s individual “value equation”

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Denver/Boulder, CO area are in post #2 here . I don’t keep track of what toppers each store might carry, but many of these stores do offer latex mattresses, so I would call ahead before potentially making a trip to see any business.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
Thank you so very much for this information on latex to chew and digest.
I am a side and back sleeper.
I tried the Pure Latex Bliss 2" topper and it relieved the pressure points on my hips quite well but I had to hug a long pillow to keep myself from feeling I was rolling forward.
What is the reason for the feeling I was rolling forward?
It’s so nice to get out of bed without hip and leg pains.
Atlas we’re getting somewhere closer to the solution.
Thank you again,

Hi Maxie,

You’re welcome.

[quote]I tried the Pure Latex Bliss 2" topper and it relieved the pressure points on my hips quite well but I had to hug a long pillow to keep myself from feeling I was rolling forward.
What is the reason for the feeling I was rolling forward?[/quote]

Without viewing you, I would only be able to guess. My best thought would be that this would be due to the mattress upon which the topper was placed. The topper is very point elastic and doesn’t tend to “pull” you in one direction, and it has no choice but to contour to the product upon which it was placed.

Phoenix