Need short queen mattress that works with Murphy bed and doesn't sleep "hot"

My wife and I need to replace our Tempurpedic mattress because it sleeps VERY hot. (It’s about 15 years old, so the technology in it is at that point in time.)

We need a short queen size (60" x 75") to work with our short queen size Murphy bed. I am 5’4" / 140 lbs., and she is 5’ / 115 lbs.

Any advice on where to get such a mattress? We live in New York City. I’ve read in this forum about Talalay latex, and it sounds promising, but not sure if any manufacturers make it in short queen size.

Thanks for any leads or guidance.

Best,
Bennett

Hey Bennett,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure :slight_smile: ! I’m sorry to hear that your Tempur-Pedic is sleeping too hot for you and your wife. Otherwise, hopefully, your mattress has served you well these past 15 years.

[quote]We need a short queen size (60" x 75") to work with our short queen size Murphy bed. I am 5’4" / 140 lbs., and she is 5’ / 115 lbs.

Any advice on where to get such a mattress? We live in New York City. I’ve read in this forum about Talalay latex, and it sounds promising, but not sure if any manufacturers make it in short queen size[/quote].
You may consider a possible purchase from one of our quality trusted members, these all offer queen short and other custom-sized mattresses in latex configurations:

Arizona Premium Mattress

Sleep EZ

DIY Natural Bedding

Fox Mattress

Latex Mattress Factory

Magic Sleeper

Mattress Makers

Oklahoma Mattress Company

Shovlin Mattress

You may also ask them questions here on the forum should you need specific latex advice as they are all knowledgeable experts in the latex category. Fun fact: participating trusted members offer a small TMU discount code towards a purchase to any consumer subscriber who asks at least one question on the forum as a Thank You for support…and your question counts :wink: . Good luck with your research Bennett and let us know how things go as you narrow down choices.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks, Sensei. Good to know about the discount.

My wife and I will be going to the Shovlin Mattress showroom this Thursday — it’s not too far away for a drive.

We are thinking about their Latex Nirvana mattress. It uses Talalay latex, which, from what I’ve read on these boards, seems to be very high quality.

Can you confirm that Talalay latex does not sleep hot? Shovlin’s mattress has 6 inches of Talalay on top of 5 inches of what’s called premium foam. Is that a good combination?

Thanks for any insights.

— Bennett

Hey Bennett,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

[quote]My wife and I will be going to the Shovlin Mattress showroom this Thursday — it’s not too far away for a drive.

We are thinking about their Latex Nirvana mattress. It uses Talalay latex, which, from what I’ve read on these boards, seems to be very high quality.

Can you confirm that Talalay latex does not sleep hot?[/quote]

Latex is the most breathable of all foams and why it is valued for its natural temperature-regulating qualities for those who sleep hot. Talalay latexis made using a vacuum process, requiring less raw material and resulting in a lower density (weight) in comparable levels for softness/ firmness versions than Dunlop latex. Its open-cell structure allows for increased air circulation and is well-known for sleeping the coolest of all foams. For an optimal cooling experience, you will want to consider all elements of your sleeping environment, especially if you naturally sleep warmer. The use of natural fibers for ticking materials, linens, and even sleepwear will help wick away moisture and promote breathability. Humidity and temperature control of your sleeping environment is helpful as well. The choice of pillows used can make a difference too; some find latex shred pillows to be quite cooling and comfy.

Did you get to make the trip to Shovlin Mattress this week? If so, what did you think of the Nirvana Collection after testing the models? The Nirvana is an 11" mattress featuring 6" of Talalay latex over a 5" HR foam support core, available in 5 firmnesses, as well as with an optional 2" pillow top. The design could be a good combination for you both, but that is as we say on TMU, a “personal choice”, as only you can feel what you feel when using any given mattress. I’d be interested in hearing your report on the Nirvana test drive following your showroom date :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei — Sorry it took a while to respond. Our visit to Shovlin went quite well, and their mattresses seem like high quality products. We did like the Nirvana — the plush which is the softest one.

However another question has come up: the weight of the mattress. Our current Tempurpedic which we are replacing is about 110 pounds, and that’s about the same as the Shovlin Nirvana. My wife was hoping for something that was a good deal lighter, so that she could easily operate the Murphy bed mechanism with the mattress in it.

Do you know of anyone who makes a lighter-weight mattress in a short queen size? Still hoping it could be Talalay latex, but realize that Talalay is inherently going to be around the 110 pound mark.

Thanks,
Bennett

Bennett:

Make sure you get the minimum and maximum mattress weight ratings from your murphy bed manufacturer. With what you’re considering, I’m guessing that the maximum is the number you’ll be most concerned with staying under. Make sure you also double check thickness limitations.

You may wish to consider a hybrid latex mattress, using pocketed springs with Talalay latex on top. That can save some weight and still offer much of the feel of latex, and also help promote air flow.