Need some advice.

I have been reading the forums for awhile but I think I need some help.

I have been looking at the icomfort but it seems that is not really recommended, and truthfully its out of my price range. I would like to spend about $800 for the boxspring and queen mattress, and I have been looking at these one from amazon:

Serta 10-Inch Gel Foam 3-Layer Mattress
Ultimate Dreams 13"

1. Would really appreciate some advice on these mattresses and how do they compare to the icomfort, especially the insight model? The insight was to my liking when I checked out in the stores.
  2. What is the best suitable box spring for one of these mattresses for cheap?
  3. I know most don’t recommend buying online, so can you suggest any shops in West Los Angeles that carry mattresses that would fit my budget & have bed similar to the icomfort insight?

Thank you for reading.

Hi shah,

The mattresses you linked are very difficult to compare because they are all very different from the Insight and are really an “apples to oranges to peaches” comparison. They all have very different layering which will feel and perform differently. Besides the differences in the layering of each mattress, memory foam mattresses are especially difficult to make comparisons because there are hundreds of different types of memory foam and each of them can feel and perform very differently from each other. This is made even more difficult because of the lack of “comfort specs” in the mattresses (how soft and firm each layer is).

There is more about trying to “match” mattresses in the beginning of post #2 here and more detailed information yet in post #2 here.

In terms of quality and “value” … there is no doubt that the Ultimate Dreams is a better choice than the other two but you can’t feel quality and value and it’s just as important that a mattress matches your needs and preferences or what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

Dreamfoam has said that their gel mattress is similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud (but a little firmer) so this would give you some sense of how it may feel for you since these are widely available but even here … different people can have different perceptions of the same mattress depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and perceptions.

If I had to guess … I would say that the Ultimate Dreams would be softer than the iComfort insight. At least generically … the layering in the Ultimate Dreams would be closer to the iComfort Savant but even here the layering is different and the foams would not be the same.

I personally wouldn’t even consider the Serta 10" mattress you are looking at because the odds are very high that the quality of the foams are even lower than the iComfort and there is only 1.5" of memory foam in the mattress and the rest of the comfort layers (and the support layers) are cheap low quality polyfoam.

There is more information about foundations and boxsprings in this thread including some links to some better quality and low priced options.

The better options in the Greater LA area that I’m aware of are in post #2 here. You have some very good choices in the area and some preliminary calls and conversations describing what you are looking for (a memory foam mattress that is similar in construction to the 3" of memory foam, or gel memory foam, over polyfoam of the insight) should help you narrow down your options.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for your reply Phoenix, I have been reading all of your other replies and posts and have been gathering a good amount of information. It is just crazy how many choices there are so it makes it a bit hard to make a decision, I think picking out a mattress is one of hardest purchasing decision, but hopefully with all the info on this site and your posts ill make the right one, just need to spend some more time. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are ever in the LA area, i’d like to buy you a beer btw, thank you!

Hi shah,

I agree that a mattress purchase in today’s market can sometimes be overwhelming.

Cutting through all the confusion though is really a matter of doing good local testing with the help and guidance of someone with lots of knowledge and experience in helping you make good choices and that offers good quality and value mattresses. If you are going in an online direction, then it’s just as important to make sure that you are working with someone that has enough experience and knowledge (along with the value, buying and exchange options, and choices you want) to help make up for the inherent risk of buying online vs buying locally.

Who you buy from can be just as important or in many cases more important in making the best possible choice than weeks of research. Finding people who already know what you would otherwise need to learn (and learning just enough to be able to ask better questions and better understand the information you are getting) is the biggest shortcut possible and can take a lot of the frustration of mattress shopping.

I would always avoid the temptation of trying to match one mattress to another or making a specific mattress your “target” and always measure every mattress you are considering to a common set of “needs and preferences”.

Phoenix