Need some guidance, similar to ComforPedic Plush

Hi all!

I nearly purchased a Simmons ComforPedic at a local mattress store. Typical high pressure sales. I absolutely loved this bed, and then searched online to find it cheaper perhaps.
After doing further research, I found a number of people complaining about indents after 1 year with this bed.

Then I found Bed in a Box. Looked promising, tons of A+ reviews, was leaning towards the Natural Silk model, but then found a few counter reviews saying all of their reviews were faked, so I am unsure there.

Then I found this amazing forum and was lucky to have access to all this awesome information from Phoenix :woohoo:

I currently have a 7yr old InnerSpring off-brand ‘Sweeta’ (paid 550 back then), looking to go to a Memory Foam, due to what I have read online about it’s longevity.
My budget is around 1500. I did see the member stores, but could not find a good local retailer. Zip 53128.
These are some of the mattresses I’m thinking about going with, however it’s just hard to determine what might be my PPP.

Cool Luxe
Natural Silk Elegance
Ultimate Dreams

Any suggestions or experiences would be great!

Hi cfdp,

Just like other foam materials … memory foam comes in a wide range of types and grades that vary from very low quality and much less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials. There is more about the many variables and materials that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here but if durability is your primary criteria in a mattress then in very general terms latex is the most durable foam material.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer that understands how to “match” their mattresses to different body types and sleeping positions includes the results of any local testing you have done is the best way to decide which mattress is likely to be the best match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are “sister companies” (see post #4 here and post #3 here) and both of them are members here which means that I think very highly of both of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

You can see my thoughts about Bedinabox in post #2 here and I would tend to avoid a mattress that used 3 lb memory foam in layers that were more than about an inch or so thick or any mattress that didn’t meet the guidelines in post #4 here.

The closest forum lists to Genoa City, WI are for the Milwaukee area in post #2 here and for the Chicago area in posts #2 and #4 here.

Since there isn’t a list for the Genoa City area I took a look at the stores around the area (about 3 dozen within about a 50 mile radius) and the better options and possibilities I could see include …

http://www.verlo.com/ Lake Geneva, Racine, WI, McHenry, Crystal Lake, Sleepy Hollow, IL. They are a regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses that are typically better than average quality/value.

http://www.mattressoverstockusa.com/ McHenry, IL. Southerland

http://www.woodstocksfurniturestore.com/home Woodstock, IL. Land & Sky, Innomax, Boyd

http://www.mattressdiscountwarehouse.com/index.html
http://www.furniturediscountwarehouse.com/ Crystal Lake, IL. Symbol.

I haven’t talked with any of these so they will take some additional research and some phone calls before you visit them to find out the types of mattresses they have on their showroom floor and to make sure that they can provide you with the information listed in this article so you can identify any weak links in a mattress you are considering and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. I’ve included the manufacturers they carry where the odds are higher that you will be able to find out the information you need to make an informed decision.

Quite frankly though if I was in your shoes and was shopping locally I would take the time to visit either or both of the two members of this site that are closest to you since both of them are very knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent and it’s likely that you will do much better in terms of quality, value, and service with either of these than anything you have available locally. They are …

http://www.beloitmattress.com/ Beloit, WI and Rockford, IL.

https://qualitysleepshop.com/ Brookfield, La Grange, IL

Phoenix

Thanks for all the help Phoenix!

I’m leaning towards BrooklynBedding, but cannot decide between the Cool Luxe & Aloe Alexis. I sent them a message earlier today, just waiting to hear back. I may have to make a trip out to BeloitMattress with the gf in the meantime to try out Latex (sounds better to her), as I have never experienced it. I just don’t trust the major brand retailers, so I won’t be going there unless I just need to ‘test’ something out. The QualitySleepShop’s website is a bit basic and confusing, so unless I have time to call them I probably won’t visit there. Verlo looks decent (didn’t know locally made), but doesn’t give you detailed specs on the website like others.

Anybody here have any personal experiences with MemFoam vs Latex? After further research, I now know latex does not have the ‘memory’ feature, but last longer, and is hypo-allergenic (I have allergies), and stays cooler. I love the feel of Memory Foam and how it ‘forms’ to your body, but the trade-off doesn’t seem worth it. I wonder if Brooklyn Bedding can add/replace the foam on top with memory foam, any advantage/disadvantage to that?

Thanks again! I will be donating to this site for sure :slight_smile:

Hi cfdp,

I can’t stress strongly enough that a more detailed phone conversation (or at least a chat in real time) that can help you talk through your questions and options can be one of the most important parts of any online mattress purchase (see post #4 here).

In essence your choice will boil down to a personal preference between memory foam and latex.

There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here but the most effective way to find out which one you prefer is with your own local testing or experience.

I’m not quite sure what you mean here because Quality Sleep has more specific and meaningful information on their site than most manufacturers (and certainly more than Verlo). Having said that … Quality Sleep tends to focus more on local business where a website isn’t as important as talking to them or visiting them in person and most of their online business would be through My Green Mattress.

Yes they can do this and several of the members here did just that (see post #37 here and post #53 here in the same topic) but again this would be most valuable for someone that preferred the “feel” of memory foam vs latex.

Phoenix

Went with a blind purchase @ BrooklynBedding. Got the Aloe Alexis 14", 8 for firmness level. After researching I decided to go with the latex for longevity.

Thanks again for you help, and I will update when the bed arrives and after some use :side:

Hi cfdp,

I wouldn’t exactly call your purchase “blind” because you know the quality of all the materials in your mattress and in terms of PPP they are very good at helping to “match” their customers to the options they have available. You also have some very good options available to change the firmness levels of any layers if your sleeping experience indicates that you need to.

I think you made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback after you’ve received it.

Phoenix