Need some help with my DIY latex mattress

[quote=“Sleep On Latex” post=27231]Not true…but I don’t think anyone in this forum wants to hear about copyright law
[/quote]

I’ll admit that I initially thought you came here to trash your competition by making a hyperbolic, dramatic claim about “photo theft”. Personally, I don’t like to see competitors air their dirty laundry in front of the entire world and sincerely wish people would sort out their issues in private (seeking legal recourse, if need be). The whole thing smacks of playground squabbling and doesn’t reflect well on either party. That being said, I hope that if you own exclusive rights to the photos (as opposed to leasing stock photos, which you don’t have the right to use exclusively, regardless of website copyright), memoyfoamlatex doesn’t put you through this ordeal again. Did you inform them of the alleged copyright violation? I’m just wondering if you know for a fact that they removed the listing because of the photo. There were problems with the ILD ratings and they may simply be in the process of revising the listing.

And why should anyone believe your account of this story? What evidence is there that copyright infringement took place? Why shouldn’t we question your motives? See, this is what happens when you hurl accusations at a competitor in a public venue. It usually devolves into a he said/she said affair that could potentially damage your reputation as well as your competitor’s. Of course it hasn’t gotten to that point because the accused hasn’t even been given the consideration of defending their actions.

I guess I didn’t think of it as talking trash about a competitor. You asked for an opinion on that particular listing. I was simply pointing out that the pictures were inconsistant and one of them was taken from our website. I thought that would be relevant information if you wanted to evaluate the credibility the listing. Other people pointed out other relevant problems with the listing.

The whole thing is really a moot point now that the listing has been removed. It was not removed voluntarily by the seller. If you really want proof of this, PM me. I don’t think anyone else is interested.

1 Like

It kind of became a catch-all DIY thread :slight_smile: Lots of interest in latex DIY mattresses, I guess.

Thanks for the good reading! I didn’t know the LaNoodle topper existed, so now I’m also curious about that one. My primary concern is getting that support my lower back needs without compromising pressure relief. I guess it’s anyone’s guess whether the regular latex or shredded latex would be better.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have to say that I’m getting closer and closer to calling SleepEZ and letting them sort the whole thing out for me. It’s more $$ than I wanted to spend, but I’d rather get it right the first time around.

Oh! I thought the only all-natural dunlop they sold was their own brand, Naturalux. Now I’m wondering if Latexco dunlop I’ve seen listed on ebay is Naturalux or Latex Green…

[quote=“Sleep On Latex” post=27246]I guess I didn’t think of it as talking trash about a competitor. You asked for an opinion on that particular listing. I was simply pointing out that the pictures were inconsistant and one of them was taken from our website. I thought that would be relevant information if you wanted to evaluate the credibility the listing. Other people pointed out other relevant problems with the listing.

The whole thing is really a moot point now that the listing has been removed. It was not removed voluntarily by the seller. If you really want proof of this, PM me. I don’t think anyone else is interested.
[/quote]

I think you might be wrong about that. It’s your choice, but I would question the wisdom of making accusations about a competitor’s “shady tactics” without offering sufficient evidence to back up those claims.

Hi nej,

In most cases the Naturalux is Latex Green. It’s their tradename for the 100% natural Dunlop that they supply.

In reference to some of the comments about the ebay seller 2ezMemTex … they have had some history of inaccurate listings on their ebay site so there is a good reason IMO to use caution with the products they supply and verify that their listings are accurate. They do supply products that come directly from Latexco (and other products as well) but they are not always accurately described so I think Karl’s comments are fair and helpful. He is not the only one that has noticed some of the discrepancies in their listings.

Phoenix

I think you might be wrong about that. It’s your choice, but I would question the wisdom of making accusations about a competitor’s “shady tactics” without offering sufficient evidence to back up those claims.
[/quote]

This is what I was going to PM you. Hopefully we can just leave it at this.

I was using safari on the last post and could not attach the file for some reason. Hopefully this one will show.

Hello Everyone,

I’m back from a few days away. Spent one day visiting mattress/foam retailers in the Seattle area.

So far, everyone’s SOFT felt pretty SOFT to me, in a good way :cheer: . This was helpful because I was unsure whether I wanted SOFT or EXTRA SOFT. I think SOFT will be right on the money. Now for the confusing part…

The Friendly Foam Shop identifies their SOFT as 75D (100% natural dunlop). Foam Rubber City identifies their SOFT as 28-29 ILD. The topper on my bed right now is labeled 75D (aka 24 ILD). And it feels too firm for me.

(I have a concern with Foam Rubber City (FRC): while inquiring about prices, which seemed challenging, he asked me: “do you REALLY need 100% natural dunlop?”…I ABSOLUTELY want 100% natural dunlop. And I’m not interested in ordering from anyone that might get my order mixed up with a blended product. Going on a gut feeling that ordering from them is riskier.)

On a positive note, FRC is able to cut our 6" FIRM core into 2 x 3" layers for a small fee. This could solve my firmness issue with the addition of a 3" soft topper.

I also visited Soaring Heart (SH) & Bedrooms and More (BNM). Both were wonderful, inviting showrooms. SH is all organic (I think) and I loved their latex/wool topper. The price is beyond our budget, so probably won’t purchase at this time. BNM uses Vietnamese latex. and offers “finished” mattresses. I have read online to avoid Vietnamese latex, but I can’t remember why??? I was mostly visiting BNM to “feel” lots of quilted mattress covers. I must say, I really like the feel of their 1" quilted wool sleeping surface. (None of these covers were removable, by the way.)

SleepEZ is offering toppers with covers at a very reasonable price. Might be a limited time special, I’m not exactly sure. They are offering a choice between their 60/40 cotton rayon or cotton/wool quilted covers. I have heard positive reviews about both. If I ordered a SOFT 3" Eastern King topper, maybe I could sweet talk Shawn into splitting it :wink:

As dn and I chatted about earlier, this will give me many possible configuration options. So we are getting close to making our “final” purchase :cheer:

Hi buttercupbetty,

There are so many variations in how ILD is tested and in how each person perceives the relative firmness/softness levels of different types of material (or different natural/synthetic blends of latex) different combinations of material (regardless of the ILD or density of a specific layer) that I would trust your own experience over technical specfications. While all latex is a durable material… there is a wide range of differences between them in terms of how they “feel”.

I think that asking if you “really need” 100% natural Dunlop is a legitimate question IMO and can be a way that they are trying to help you find better value (blended or synthetic latex is less costly than 100% natural latex and there are many people who don’t really care which one they use). These types of questions can be a way for people to check the assumptions they may be making that one type of material is “better” than another when it may only be a matter or preference rather than a legitimate “better/worse” comparison. If they understand the difference between them and are providing you with accurate information about the materials and options they carry then I would consider these types of questions to be helpful and an indication of good customer service.

[quote]
I also visited Soaring Heart (SH) & Bedrooms and More (BNM). Both were wonderful, inviting showrooms. SH is all organic (I think) and I loved their latex/wool topper. The price is beyond our budget, so probably won’t purchase at this time. BNM uses Vietnamese latex. and offers “finished” mattresses. I have read online to avoid Vietnamese latex, but I can’t remember why??? I was mostly visiting BNM to “feel” lots of quilted mattress covers. I must say, I really like the feel of their 1" quilted wool sleeping surface. (None of these covers were removable, by the way.)
[/quote].

I think that the quality, type, and blend of latex is more important than the country of origin. Viet Nam is one of the biggest suppliers of Dunlop latex in the world and while it may not be as common in North America … the country where latex is produced is much less important than the specifics or quality of the latex itself. A forum search on “Viet Nam latex” will bring up more information.

That’s good to hear that you are slowly winding your way through all the complex information that can help you make your final choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for addressing my questions about country of origin.

We have made a purchase! We bought this topper last week:

http://www.woolenmill.com/sections/Natures_Comfort_Wool-Filled_Bedding/Natures_Comfort_Mattress_Pads_(King)__Standard.php?id=603&category=64&subcategory=0&subsubcategory=0

Sort of “breaking the rules” and NOT staying with bottom to top construction :silly: And we LOVE it.

Today we ordered the new SleepEZ latex & wool topper with an organic encasement:

https://www.sleepez.com/latex-mattress-topper-wool.htm

3" SOFT 100% dunlop (2 x XL twin). And…they offer a “friend” discount of 10% to friends/family of prior customers. Our friends just bought their 2nd SleepEZ bed, but I didn’t think Shawn would allow this because we weren’t buying a whole mattress. He did! I’m pleased with our value/price outcome. We will have multiple options to adjust our mattress once we cut our 6" firm core into two 3" layers.

Everyone’s advice and support has been tremendously valuable! Thank you!

Hi buttercupbetty,

It sounds like you did well!

For people who already know they like sleeping on a thicker layer of wool (or want a wool topper because of its many benefits) I would also use a “top down” approach for the wool topper (because it’s a main priority) and add it to the "bottom up “approach” for the mattress layers or foam toppers.

Congratulations on your new “sleeping system” … it sounds like it will be great :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you have the chance to sleep on everything together.

Phoenix

[quote=“Sleep On Latex” post=27250]

This is what I was going to PM you. Hopefully we can just leave it at this.
[/quote]

Thank you for lending credence to your claims…seriously. I’m still of the opinion that it’s declasse for competitors to bad mouth each other, but I respect the fact that some consumers are grateful for whatever dirt they can get on a seller, regardless of source. I’m sure you’ve provided a valuable service for someone by airing the Stolen Photo Scandal of 2013 B)

It sounds like you’re thisclose to crafting your ideal mattress. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you :slight_smile:

I received a sample of medium all-natural dunlop today and was shocked (shocked I tell you!) at how plushy it is. So that throws a wrench in my plans…I’m pretty sure I’d like to have a layer of this between my wool topper and core, but I’m convinced that 3" is going to be too much. The SleepEZ special has a 2" topper of talalay, so now that’s crossed off my list.

More confused than ever :unsure:

Hi nej,

While it’s true that there is more than enough “bad mouthing” of competitors in the industry … I would put this particular one in the realm of “informing and educating” rather than “bad mouthing”.

Phoenix

“Bad mouth” may have been an inappropriate choice of words. I think it’s important for vendors to be made aware of how their actions are perceived by potential customers. I wasn’t impressed with SleepOnLatex’s response to ButtercupBetty, and the photo scandal was the final nail for me. I was a potential customer who is no longer a potential customer; I think they deserve to know why that is.

If I’ve managed to somehow ruffle your feathers in the course of expressing my opinion, then I am sincerely very sorry to hear that. And genuinely perplexed. I’m trying to see where I may have crossed a boundary or broken a rule…please let me know if that’s the case.

Hi nej,

No … you haven’t ruffled any feathers, broken any rules, or crossed any boundaries at all … and your thoughts and opinions are very welcome :slight_smile:

It’s just that this particular vendor has just been the source of some legitimate complaints and frustration by several people that I know and respect (and that doesn’t include Karl at Sleep On Latex who I also respect but didn’t know was part of the list until this thread).

They don’t have a particularly good reputation “inside” some parts of the industry for the accuracy of their listings.

Phoenix

@nej:

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me!

I looked back over this thread, which is now four pages, and I can’t get a sense of where you’re at with your bed. Have you already bought a 6" core?

Please bring me up to speed. I’m interested to know what you’re considering!

Hi nej, I would like to just throw my two cents in on your comment that you were shocked by the plushy feel of the sample you received. We are also rebuilding our mattress, and yesterday the topper for my husbands side arrived. I ordered a 3" dunlop latex blend, firm ( 34-42) from spindle mattress. When I opened the packaging and was feeling the latex I said to hubby no way is this gonna be firm enough for you. Well once we had it laying flat it was just what he needed. It’s on top of our spring base at the moment and he’s still sleeping so I don’t know the details, now we have to get my side better situated. So don’t give up just because a little piece felt too squishy.

Recap of current DIY latex journey:

I ordered a 6" 34 ILD latex core from sleeponlatex. It was too firm for me, as indicated by lower back pain when waking up and soreness at pressure points in the hip and shoulders. I then proceeded to purchase a 2 " 22 ILD blended Talalay topper from Arizona mattress. It definitely feels softer and more cushy when I lay on it, but when I wake up I still have lower back pain. I’ve been sleeping on the combination for about 6 days.

So, I’m currently attempting to figure out the solution. I can’t really determine whether I’m getting lower back pain because the topper is too soft or whether the whole combination is too firm. My hips sink slightly in comparison to my hips, but it doesn’t seem to me that slight amount of sinking should be responsible for my lower back pain. The latex seems to fill in my lower back correctly. I might be feeling a little bit of pressure on the hips which could indicate that the combination is too firm.

My current hypothesis is that the combination is too firm (but maybe that’s incorrect?). I was thinking of purchasing a 1" layer of 24 ILD dunlop to put inbetween the 22 ILD and 34 ILD layers to see if that made things softer. Or possibly 1-2" of a custom ordered 28 ILD as an intermediate layer. I’d like to try some combination like that in a store, but that doesn’t seem to be a common topper. Does anyone have any other ideas/options to fix the lower back pain issue?

If my combination is too soft, it would appear the next step would be to get 1-2" of some intermediate ILD (26-28?) to put inbetween the 34 ILD and 22 ILD layer.

I’m male, broad shouldered 5’ 6" and 150 lbs. Primarily a back sleeper.

Thanks!

Hi GiantCrab,

Back pain can be tricky to “diagnose” as any doctor will confirm because the underlying causes can be very different from person to person. Post #2 here includes some basic information that may be helpful and there is also a list of some forum posts that deal with various “symptoms” in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

The two most common causes of back pain for back sleepers would be a mattress with comfort layers that are too thick and soft so the pelvis is sinking down too far relative to the other parts of the body and causing alignment issues in the lumbar spine.

Another possibility is that you aren’t sinking into the mattress enough for the comfort layers to “fill in” the inward curve under the small of the back firmly enough.

Hip and shoulder pressure would normally come from side sleeping which is the only position where the hips and shoulders are in direct contact with the mattress. Perhaps you are spending more time on your side than you realize?

If the mattress is too firm to relieve pressure then it can also lead to your upper body or lower body “twisting” away from pressure points which can also lead to alignment issues (rotational alignment in this case) which can also cause back pain.

This would make things softer not firmer (although that may be what you need). Thicker layers or thicker mattresses “act” softer and this would also add softer latex (the 26 - 28) under the top layer than you currently have (which is 34 ILD) so you would have two “softening influences”.

Phoenix