need suggestions for new mattress

My wife and I need help making an informed decision. We have slept on a simmons beautyrest lusaka plush firm king for 7 years and now suddelnly noticing very disturbed sleep for the last couple of weeks. It is not sagging, we just recognize the lack of quality sleep. I have always had orthopedic problems and will say that this mattress has been very kind to me for the use we have gotten out of it. It is the most comfortable mattress we have EVER slept on. We tested tempurpedic, sleep number, and many other brands. Nothing comes came to the comfort of the plush firm beauty rest for us.

I was quite suprised to see the negative reviews on the beauty rest when I went online to buy another one. It made me stop and wonder if the manufacturing has changed or if we just got lucky. The negative reviews are quite numerous.

My questions is: where do we start in finding higher quality materials in a mattress that will give us the same feel as the beautyrest lusaka? Should we go with a higher cost mattress with better materials or go with a simmons again and just change it out in 5 or so years? I dont want to sacrifice the plush firm “feel” to get more longevity out of a mattress. Is there a good fit for us?

(Info about us: We live in New Orleans. Wife is 5’4" at 150lbs and I am 5’10" at 215 lbs. Its doubtful we would pay over 2.5k for any mattress).

Hi bayoufrogg,

My reply in post #2 here (and the posts it links to) to another member that had similar questions would be the first place I would start.

As you can read in the reply I linked … I would avoid the major brands because they use lower quality and less durable materials than many other mattresses that are made by smaller manufacturers that are in lower price ranges that can be just as “comfortable”, more durable, and have better “value”. While I’m not sure if I would consider a mattress that lasts for 7 years as being “lucky” … many people that purchase a major brand mattress will find it lasts for even less than that.

These questions are also answered in the post I linked but the bottom line is that the only way to know whether a different mattress will “feel” similar to you (regardless of whether it feels similar to anyone else that has a different body type or sleeping style) will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience. I certainly wouldn’t buy another Simmons.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New Orleans area are listed in post #2 here.

There are also several factory direct manufacturers in Baton Rouge, LA that are listed in post #191 here and a trip there to visit them may also be well worthwhile.

Phoenix