Need to decide on ticking before placing order

Hi samssf,

As far as I know the 8" special only comes with the unquilted cover … which is very nice by the way. There’s a picture of it in post #76 here (although this shows it as much darker than it is and it’s off white).

Some of the tradeoffs connected with a quilted or unquilted cover are in this article and post #16 here.

Like you I also like the idea of a wool mattress pad because I like the idea of sleeping on wool but I also know that over time it will compress and that it affects the mattress more. I bought a Naturaprotect Deluxe (on sale at Costco if I remember right) and now about a year and a half later the wool is much thinner and compressed under the hips especially although it was fairly thin to begin with compared to most of the other Natura mattress protectors (to affect the mattress less) so it’s not a huge issue. In hindsight I’d probably have chosen the St Dormeir which is also very high quality and thin and stretchy but doesn’t have the waterproof membrane so it’s only “water resistant” but more breathable.

Wool in a mattress pad is a little different than in the quilting in feel and doesn’t have to be used for fire protection (it’s not as integral a part of the mattress and stretches in from the sides more) but it has the option of replacing it if it thins out or compresses.

Overall it’s all about tradeoffs but either way the ticking at Sleepez is good quality.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the info, Phoenix! I checked out the resources and am still undecided on whether to get the quilted cover or stretch cover, but will probably choose one and go from there since it seems like either choice should be fine.

I’m sure you’ve mentioned elsewhere, but which mattress do you have, and what kind of case / quilting do you have?

Hi samssf,

I designed my own mattress and had it built by a local manufacturer in Dallas who is one of the members of this site but is not exactly local to me (I’m in the pacific northwest :)). It’s out of the “range” of what would be normal for most people and there was really no chance to make adjustments to it after purchase because it’s not a DIY with layers that can be exchanged or a zip cover and the cost of shipping a whole mattress across the country and back would have been prohibitive … so I needed to be pretty confident that I would “get it right”.

The mattress was built with my DH in mind who is 5"7" and @ 130 lbs and “curvy”. I on the other hand am 6’'5" and 195 and more tall and slim but fairly evenly proportioned. Both of us are side sleepers. In our rather extensive testing we discovered that similar constructions were good for both of us because of our weight distribution in spite of the difference in our height and weight. Both of us like being “in” the mattress more but didn’t want memory foam.

The mattress itself is a two sided construction with a middle core of 4" of Talalay latex with an ILD @ 28. Both sides of this have a 3" layer of @ 22 ILD. The ticking and quilting is a Belgian damask which is quilted with a layer of .4" quiltable latex and a down substitute fiber (apparently from Italy) on both sides. The fire retardant is an inherent viscose fiber.

This is a mattress that for most people would be too soft but our extensive testing individually and together showed that we both tended to sink into softer layers more evenly (good alignment) and could get away with it.

Some pictures (with some rather poor bedroom lighting) are here.

Phoenix

Wow that sounds pretty sweet… looks like a nice mattress!

Phoenix,

so your mattress is just 10" of latex? it looks a little thicker.

Hi bwomp,

Yes … it has 10" of latex and then the quilting which includes a thin layer of quiltable latex as well as the down alternative fiber which adds to the thickness of the mattress.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Curious, what is a “two sided construction” and what’s the purpose of placing a softer layer at the bottom?

If this is to allow flipping of the mattress to get even wear, then the mattress I’ve been looking at at foam sweet foam may work.

Example: I can get the 4 - 3" layers with Soft/Med/Firm/Extra Firm…I could use the soft layer at the top if we prefer the soft and place the med layer at the bottom beneath the firm & extra firm layers. Or I could use the med layer at the top if we prefer the med and place the soft layer at the bottom beneath the firm & extra firm layers. Thoughts?

Also, does The Mattress Factory that you purchased your mattress from build custom mattresses? I don’t see that option or the option to purchase online.

Hi Mick04u,

Yes … they build custom mattresses … but not online and usually only locally although you can talk to them on the phone and like most manufacturers they can ship the mattress to you using truck freight.

Unfortunately though … they no longer offer Talalay latex as an option in their mattress since Latex International changed its distribution system and it no longer was available to them locally.

Phoenix

Curious, what is a “two sided construction” and what’s the purpose of placing a softer layer at the bottom?

If this is to allow flipping of the mattress to get even wear, then the mattress I’ve been looking at at foam sweet foam may work.

Example: I can get the 4 - 3" layers with Soft/Med/Firm/Extra Firm…I could use the soft layer at the top if we prefer the soft and place the med layer at the bottom beneath the firm & extra firm layers. Or I could use the med layer at the top if we prefer the med and place the soft layer at the bottom beneath the firm & extra firm layers. Thoughts?

Hi Mick04u,

A two sided mattress is a mattress that has a support core in the middle and then identical comfort layers, quilting, and ticking on each side. They can be flipped for more even wear and greater durability because you are only using each side for half the time and it gives the unused layer time to recover somewhat.

The soft on the bottom is more of a liability than a benefit and needs to be taken into account in terms of how it interacts with the rest of the mattress and the people on it. It’s just a side effect of a two sided design where there will always be a softer “comfort layer” on the bottom and is just one of the tradeoffs involved in every mattress design.

One of the advantages of a component mattress is that you can re-arrange layers to change the feel but these are meant to be one sided not two sided. I would choose an initial layering that is the most likely to work for you (in consultation with the manufacturer) and then use the ability to re-arrange or exchange layers as a fine tuning backup. Again … these are not meant to be two sided and you would lose much of the flexibility of the design if you tried to use it that way. They have their own durability advantages including the ability to replace a layer that softens faster than the rest without having to replace the whole mattress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=16925]Hi Mick04u,

A two sided mattress is a mattress that has a support core in the middle and then identical comfort layers, quilting, and ticking on each side. They can be flipped for more even wear and greater durability because you are only using each side for half the time and it gives the unused layer time to recover somewhat.

The soft on the bottom is more of a liability than a benefit and needs to be taken into account in terms of how it interacts with the rest of the mattress and the people on it. It’s just a side effect of a two sided design where there will always be a softer “comfort layer” on the bottom and is just one of the tradeoffs involved in every mattress design.[/quote]

Interesting, and makes perfect sense. Much the same principle as a two sided coil mattress. You may remember I built a Latex Bliss knock off with 3" of LI talatech 36ILD on the bottom, 3" of 28 over that, 3" of 19 topping it off. I understand that the 19 ILD will wear faster and when it does I’ll replace it.

I don’t see how you flip such a heavy mattress. I didn’t expect the extremely heavy weight from my queen.

Hi Mark in Texas,

Sometimes it’s not easy with a heavy mattress and takes either muscle power (for one person), or preferably “teamwork” (for two people) :slight_smile:

The good news is that after the initial break in period that you only need to do it once a season and the “flipping” part is only twice a year when you alternate rotating and flipping (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

I am curious about the down alternative material that was used. Is it the same that is used in down alternative comforters? This must give a very soft-to-the-skin feel to the top of the mattress?

Hi magpie,

There are many versions of “down alternative” materials (see post #10 here) but they are all somewhat similar to the down alternative materials that are used in many mattress pads which are versions of polyester fiber (which would tend to be more dense than the same materials used in a comforter which aren’t designed to bear weight). They tend to be soft yes but how they feel in any specific mattress depends on the amount and specifics of the material and on how they interact with all the other layers and components in a mattress because every material and component in a mattress will have some effect on all the other layers and components in a mattress. For example the same type of mattress cover may feel very firm if there were firmer layers underneath it and may feel very soft with softer layers underneath it but it does provide a soft “hand feel” to the mattress.

Our mattress is certainly in the “soft” side of the range although softness and firmness is always subjective and relative to the person so some people may find it firmer than we do.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply, Phoenix. I’ve often thought that the materials used in synthetic sleeping bags would make great surfaces for mattresses. They don’t seem to permanently compress like cotton and wool do over time, are very soft so as not to put any pressure on the skin (I’m thinking fibromyalgia sufferers that are very sensitive) and yet provide more support than down ever could. But the use of materials like quallofil and hollofil doesn’t seem to be too popular in the mattress-making industry., so what do I know. :wink:

Hi magpie,

The upper layers or quilting materials in a mattress aren’t really for support (which comes from the deeper layers in a mattress) but more about the “feel” or pressure relief of a mattress. There is more about quilting materials in post #12 here and the posts it links to and there is more about the differences between primary support, secondary support, pressure relief, and “feel” in post #4 here.

The “art and science” of mattress design can be very complex and it can be difficult to predict the effect of a single component or material because all the layers and materials in a mattress will affect all the other layers and materials in the mattress and there are many versions of every type of material that can also make a significant difference so it’s generally much easier to test a mattress and use your personal experience on the “combined effect” of all the layers and materials to decide whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP rather than trying to predict the effect of any individual material or component.

There are many mattresses that use synthetic polyester fibers as part of the quilting layers so it’s not at all unusual to find these in a mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix it sounds like a Mattress I would love. We bought a 3" Latex Topper in 20 ILD we have had it 7 years …maybe a little longer I am sunking into it a bit to much , causing my lower back to go out. Yes we flipped it every which way. My weight has changed, due to quiiting smoking, no I never eat a lot and am hypothyroid so that did not help. And when one quits smoking in 2 or 3 months get your Thyroid checked 85% of smokers whom quit go Hypothyroid. When I weighted 110 or 124, I was ok. Now at 145 to 150 has really effected me. My thyroid is being adjusted so hopefully some weight will come off.

I am thinking with my RA Arthritis that occured after a accident we were in sitting she hit us hard she was drunk, brought on RA in 6 weeks stress will dio that , did get over the worst, now that I am older my hips are bother me too with the sinking. My husband does not care as he sleeps easy almost anywhere, he like Soft to Extremely hard. Wish we all could adjust like he has with sleeping on anything. I loved the Latex Topper, but fear getting one to hard and or to soft! I do not see varibles, just 20 , 30 and 40. I dislike that idea of not getting the right Latex Topper, and returns. I do not like to do returns!
Would like to get another Mattress , or New Latex Topper. Just not sure which place is the best. I need to find your list…Sleep on latex! Do you know anything about them Phoenix? Right now I fear jumping to fast on anything but sure dislike suffering. Thanks you such a delight , honesty and integrity you have both and are admired. Your replys are appreciate more then you will ever know. Son surely needs a New Topper too he has Scolosis. Bought the Mattresses in early 2009. Link below is the Sleep on Latex, sure we might get what we pay for. .
https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers/products/natural-latex-mattress-topper. Thank you so much!

Sorry meant to ask too. Can a Tight New Mattress Cover that is padded , it does fit tight…effect the Latex Foam feel?

Hi Bunny1999,

You can see my thoughts about Karl and Sleeponlatex in post #4 here and post #3 here and a forum search on “sleeponlatex” will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. I would consider them to be a reliable supplier of latex components and toppers as well.

Yes every change in a layer or components can have an effect on the feel and performance of the other layers and components and the mattress “as a whole” so a padded cover will certainly have some effect on the feel of the latex below it. You can read more about quilted covers vs non quilted covers in post #12 here

Phoenix