Need ultra firm latex/foam topper

I just bought this Products - IKEA.

I am a side and back sleeper

It seemed firm enough at the store but after sleeping on it my lower back hurts. I used to sleep on the floor and my back was fine.

I tried a super hard mattress topper one time… not sure what it was but it was very firm and had almost no memory feature… I don’t think it was latex because it didnt have any holes.

What is this called and are there any places in or around new york city that sell these?

Hi mitsao,

There’s no way for me to know what it could have been without a more detailed description but it may have been very firm polyfoam (polyfoam and latex have no memory at all). If it had “memory” … then it was probably some type of memory foam.

If it was polyfoam then a local foam shop would probably be a good source or some of the sources in post #4 here would sell it as well if you were comfortable ordering it online.

Some of the better New York options are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of some of these in post #7 here. Some of these sell mattresses (or toppers) that use firm polyfoam (such as Dixie Beds) if that’s what the material was.

Phoenix

I am using this as my bed/foundation Furniture - Shop Furniture Online & In-store Near You - IKEA
I am only 5’7 120lb and 27 years of age… not sure if my weight is the issue. I’m not even sure if firmness is my issue because I have slept on softer spring matresses that didn’t give me a problem.

I guess why I think firmness is the issue is because I tried sleeping on a 2 inch 4lb 14.5 ILD memory foam on the floor and it was unbearable for my lower back.

I will try my matress on the floor. Although I feel like the foundation gives enough support… it has plywood that is spaced 3.25 inches apart. If the floor works out should I just put a single piece of plywood over my existing foundation?

I used to sleep on the floor because it was good for my lower back and I didn’t sleep on the side too much. Now I am sleeping more on the side.

If I can’t make this matress work then I might just sell it.

I just want something simple that won’t give me lower back pain… which is the most sensitive part of my body.

I sleep mostly on my back and sometimes on my side.

Looking to spend only about $500 for a full size.

Hi mltsao,

I don’t think that the foundation would be the problem in your case and your slats would have roughly the same level of firmness as the floor.

The firmness or softness of a topper will depend on the softness of the material itself, its thickness (thicker acts softer) and on any other materials that are either over or under the topper as well. For example the 2" memory foam topper you used on the floor would be so thin and soft that you would “go through” it and feel the floor underneath it (see post #14 here). It would act differently on top of a mattress because the material under it would be softer than the floor.

In addition to this … there are different “types” of firmness and softness. Thy include surface softness, pressure relief firmness/softness, and support firmness/softness. Each of these has a different function in a mattress and fixing one won’t fix “symptoms” that are caused by the other. Because of the firmness of your mattress though … it appears that you are dealing with not having enough thickness and softness in your comfort layers.

In addition to this … lighter weights will sink into a material less than someone who is heavier which means that mattresses can feel firmer to them than they would for heavier people. All mattresses need to provide you with a balance between primary support (primarily from the deeper layers), secondary support (primarily from the upper layers) and pressure relief (also primarily from the upper layers).

So to 'translate" all of this … it appears that you purchased a Sultan FJORDGARD which is “most firm” and because of your lighter weight it would probably feel even firmer to you. Being a side and back sleeper … very firm mattresses could lead to ether pressure issues and/or alignment issues because there isn’t enough soft material for you to sink into … especially on your side. (see this diagram).

This usually means that a topper would probably be the best solution and for this the the topper guidelines in post #2 here may be helpful.

Phoenix