need your opinion on Sleep science black diamond mattress

Hi experts,
I live in Omaha NE. I am in the market for new mattress. Initially ordered icomfort genius mattress. I ran in to this forum and decided to stay away from Brand name.

I saw Sleep science black diamond mattress split king for 2500$ which is half off what NFM wanted for icomfort. Can you please let me know your thoughts on this Mattress?

I also visited Midwest bedding company a local retailer, he had a mattress with 2" gel and 1" latex and other stuff. he is asking for 2800 dollars for adjustable frame and split king bed.

Which one of these would you suggest? Costco seems to have better return policy. They said i can return it anytime if i am not satisfied.

I am sleepless trying to decide.

Please help me choose right mattress.

sam

Hi ttmone,

You can see my thoughts about the Sleep Science Black Diamond in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

When you are comparing mattresses I would use “mattress only” prices because one “set” may have a different price base or adjustable bed than another which makes comparing the mattresses impossible if the price is for the set.

I would treat an adjustable bed as a separate purchase based on the features you want and price comparisons between the ones that have similar features regardless of brand because they all perform similar functions. Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to may be helpful for choosing an adjustable bed and it also has some sources you can use for a “value” reference point.

I don’t know the specifics of the mattress you are looking at with Midwest bedding but I personally wouldn’t buy the Sleep Science for the reasons I mentioned in the post I linked so out of the two of them I would choose the mattress at Midwest Bedding (assuming there were no lower density materials in the mattress) but having said that each person may have their own personal value equation and make their final choice for different reasons than I would.

The tutorial post (linked at the top right corner of the page) has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

You’ve probably seen this but the list of better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Omaha area are in post #2 here and Midwest Bedding would certainly be one of the better options in the area.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. One clarification is that Costco comes with adjustable base also.

Hi ttmone,

When you are comparing a mattress and an adjustable base together then it becomes impossible to tell which part of the purchase price is the mattress and which is the base so it makes it much more difficult to compare mattresses (or for that matter the adjustable bed either).

The price of the Costco set appears to be good based on the type and density of the materials but they don’t mention which adjustable bed it is or all it’s features (outside of having a massage and a wireless remote) so there is no way to compare it with other adjustable beds or know how much to deduct to extrapolate the price of the mattress alone. While I wouldn’t have any issues with the latex in the mattress (although I would want to know the type and blend) because all the latex you are likely to encounter would be “safe” … I would hesitate to buy a mattress that contained memory foam from China that wasn’t CertiPur certified.

If offgassing or VOC’s wasn’t a concern for you then it may be worth considering as a “roll of the dice” because of the return policy although it still wouldn’t be my choice.

Phoenix