Needed to buy a new mattress yesterday

Thank you for your website and for providing wonderful feedback on this forum. My husband and I need a new mattress as our king Serta pillow top is 10 years old and sagging. We have been browsing for a few weeks, but are overwhelmed by the options. We would like to avoid another pillow top as we noticed sagging and lack of support before we felt we should. We both really like the feel of the Serta iComfort Savant. I have not been able to bite the bullet because of the price. Now after more research I don’t think the line is a good value or good quality with the 3 lb. foam.

We live near Midwest Mattress in Des Moines, IA, and have been very happy with the knowledge of the staff. We have narrowed down to purchasing from them, or from Costco or Sam’s Club. Midwest Mattress has the budget friendly Gel Active line which is made by Serta, but we both thought the mattresses were too firm. The Restonic line of gel memory foam is borderline out of our budget. We would be willing to spend the money if it is far superior in value to a mattress like Costco’s Novaform 14" gel memory foam. In terms of value, quality, and durability, what are the differences between a plush innerspring mattress and a middle of the line gel memory foam mattress? What are the differences between the Restonic gel memory foam and Novaform? I have been back and forth between an innerspring with a gel foam topper, or a gel memory foam mattress. We have never slept on a memory foam mattress, so I feel that it is a risk to buy although I am drawn to them when we are at the store. The creaking sound and motion transfer of our old mattress are qualities that I don’t like from our current mattress, and feel that the memory foam addresses both of these. Finally, is there a difference in bed frames? We currently have a basic metal frame but are considering a platform bed with the slats (with or without a foundation o box spring).

Thank you,
Nicole

I am 120 lbs, 5’-5", and my husband is 165 lbs, 5’-10".

Hi npeterson,

The first place I would begin your research is post #1 here which has all the bsic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones (which includes Serta and the other major manufacturers or any manufacturer that doesn’t disclose the quality of the materials they use in their mattress).

Once you get to step 3 … then some of the better options I’m aware of in the Des Moines area are listed in post #6 here. Midwest mattress is a member here which means I think highly of them but I would avoid the Serta line they carry and focus on their Restonic which are better value and they can also disclose the specifics of the materials and layers inside them which they can’t with the Serta (Serta doesn’t provide them).

You can see some of my thoughts about buying from Costco or other big box stores in post #4 here and if you do go in this direction I would make sure you find out the specifics of every layer in the mattress you are buying.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the materials inside it. To compare two mattresses you would need to know the specifics of the layers and materials inside it because the brand of a mattress means very little. An innerspring mattress uses an innerspring for a support core (and there are many types of innersprings) and a memory foam mattress uses polyfoam for the support core. The choice between a good quality innerspring and a good quality polyfoam support core would be a preference and they feel and perform quite differently. There would also be a difference in the type and quality of the comfort layers which are the most important part of the durability of a mattress and a significant part of how a mattress “feels” as well. Novaform tends to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than Restonic but again to make specific comparisons you need to know the details of all the layers in both mattresses.

Some are stronger than others yes but they all hold a foundation which is more important because the foundation is what supports the mattress. With a platform bed you won’t need a foundation or a metal frame because it performs both functions although it’s important to make sure that either a foundation or the support surface of the platform bed is suitable for the mattress you buy.

Phoenix