Nest Alexander Signature Select vs Brooklyn #BestMattressEver

I intend to replace my innerspring mattress + memory foam topper with the SOFT version of either

1. Brooklyn Bedding’s #BestMattressEver - or -
  2. Nest’s Alexander Signature Select.

Both are latex-forward mattresses. I am not interested in 100% memory foam.

I’ve seen a lot of comparisons drawn between Brooklyn’s BME and Nest’s Love Bed – but not a lot of chatter about the Alexander Signature Select.

• Is the Alexander in an entirely different quality tier than the BME?
  • Is there another brand I should consider? Again, I am looking for a SOFT mattress (e.g. I tried the Casper in a showroom and it was too firm for me). For the sake of knowing what else is out there, which mattress would you recommend if price didn’t matter?
  • Which of the two is likely to be more durable over time?

Any comments/suggestions are encouraged! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi jessedean84,

[quote]I’ve seen a lot of comparisons drawn between Brooklyn’s BME and Nest’s Love Bed – but not a lot of chatter about the Alexander Signature Select

• Is the Alexander in an entirely different quality tier than the BME?[/quote]

It would depend on how you define quality.

The Alexander Signature Select uses a 1" or 1.5" layer of polyfoam in the quilting (depending on which firmness you choose) over 2 layers of 4 or 5 lb memory foam (which also varies with the firmness level) over an 8" 2.0 lb polyfoam support core. It would be attractive to those that prefer the less resilient “surface feel” and the slower response and “sinking in” of memory foam vs latex (NOTE: this is a new design because the previous versions of the Alexander Select used Talalay latex in the top layer for the soft and firm options).

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver uses a 3/4" layer of polyfoam in the quilting with 2"" of talalay latex over 2" of synthetic continuous pour Dunlop over a 6" 2.0 lb polyfoam support core. It would be attractive to those who prefer the more resilient feel of latex in both the top and transition layer.

They would each be attractive to different people with different preferences and both of them use good quality and durable materials and there are no weak links in either of them relative to most weight ranges but the BME uses a slightly more durable material in the transition layer so for those that are in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so) then the BME would likely be a slightly more durable choice.

Some of the other “simplified choice” mattresses I’m aware of that may also be of interest to you are listed in post #2 of this topic.

The tutorial post also includes several links to lists of some the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are available in your area.

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Most of the more heavily advertised and most commonly available brands that you would recognize are the ones I would avoid anyway (see the guidelines here) and many of the better manufacturers are smaller and are only available locally or regionally (or online). The name of the manufacturer on the label also won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress would be a suitable choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here. Outside of careful testing for PPP (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or a more detailed conversation with a manufacturer or retailer about whether a mattress would be suitable for you if you can’t test a mattress in person … I would focus much more on the type and quality/durability of the materials inside a mattress (which are important to know anyway) than I would on the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Just in case you haven’t read them already … two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you (or your child) in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). A mattress that may be the “best choice” for me may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Phoenix

Just a quick update for all and Phoenix: The Alexander line now has 2.0 base foam!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Joe,

I’m curious about the date when the 2.0 base foam was added – would mattresses that shipped last week have it?

I just want to make sure I ordered the latest & greatest!

Cheers,

Jesse

Hi jessedean84,

[quote]I’m curious about the date when the 2.0 base foam was added – would mattresses that shipped last week have it?

I just want to make sure I ordered the latest & greatest![/quote]

While the difference in the base foam density isn’t likely to make any meaningful difference in durability unless you are in a much higher than average weight range … it may be a good idea to call them and ask because I don’t know how often Joe checks the forum.

Phoenix

Yes, your mattress would have the 2.0 Jessedean84, thanks!