Nest Love Bed vs Brooklyn Bedding

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research recently and have 2 finalists - Nest Bedding’s Love Bed and Brooklyn Bedding’s bestmattressever (which I will refer to as BME). I have two questions. Keep in mind that I’ve never had a good mattress before and can sleep both on carpet floors and super soft beds where I’m almost drowning (although the super soft bed was probably more comfortable than the floor). So while I have read the guides here, I know I’m choosing between two good beds and can’t go wrong with either.

First, they both seem very similar, but the love bed has 3" of OekoTex while the BME has 2" of Talalay and 2" of dunlop. I assume the support layer is similar between them. So my question is: will the difference matter? I’m not sure I will be able to tell, but I would feel mentally better knowing I made an informed decision.

Second I actually went to the Nest store and briefly laid on their beds (was in a rush, will go back for more thoroughness). They felt great! The thing is, I couldn’t tell the difference at all between the firm, medium, and soft versions. I could tell between a different mattress and the love bed, but not between the three versions. I only laid on it for about 2 minutes each, but I assume if I still can’t tell after more thorough testing, I should get the medium?

Thanks all!

Hi oneunderone,

This is certainly correct and both mattresses use good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in either of them.

The support layer is 2 lb polyfoam in both of them and the main difference is that the Love Bed uses 3" of blended Talalay latex in the top layer and the #BestMattressEver uses 2" of blended Talalay latex and 2" of synthetic continuous pour Dunlop. All of the latex in both of them are Oeko-Tex certified (Oeki-Tex is a certification that tests for harmful substances and VOC’s not a specific material) and the polyfoam is US made and is CertiPur certified (see post #2 here for more about the different certifications).

Different mattress designs and layering and different firmness levels can certainly make a significant difference in whether a particular mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and how well you will sleep on it. There are many different body types and sleeping positions and individual preferences which is why some mattresses are suitable for some people and not suitable for others.

There is also more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

It would be very unusual if someone couldn’t tell the difference between soft, medium, and firm but I would use the testing guidelines in the tutorial post to test any mattress and I would spend a minimum of 15 minutes on any local mattress you are considering.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to change the firmness or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You are certainly looking at some very good quality/value options :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply. I was very rushed, as I was expecting to spend at least 30 minutes at the store, but unexpectedly had to leave after 5 or 6 minutes. I’ll go back for a more thorough lay-down, then contribute back here what I learned.

I suspect I’ll go with nest simply because the convenience of having their stores nearby. (And it’s ever so slightly cheaper.) But we’ll see :slight_smile:

Hi oneunderone,

I’m looking forward to finding out the results of your testing and what you end up deciding :).

Phoenix

One,
I spent an hour at the Mountainview Nest store with Jeff, a very nice Salesman. I went there with the firm Love bed in mind, however, after spending an extensive amount of time between the three models, the medium is the perfect one for me. The firm was just a little too firm. For me there was definitely a difference in the three. I absolutely feel in love with the Nest Alexander Signature Select Medium but it was a tad out of my price range. Good luck to you!

Hi Meansh,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your comments when you receive it.

Phoenix

I haven’t made the final decision/purchase but am close. Thank you for all you do!

Hi Meansh,

Sorry … I misinterpreted your comments to mean you had made your purchase :slight_smile:

Regardless of what you end up deciding something around the medium firmness range would probably make a better choice for a wider range of people than something in the firm range (although I know that you will be sleeping on it as well).

Phoenix

Hi everyone and Phoenix,

Thank you for the post. I’d like to ask some more questions regarding these two mattress if you don’t mind.

For the Brooklyn BME mattress , only the latex layers are named with 2" each but not density. Since I’m not very familiar with this, does it mean that density for these latex layers cannot be measured or the material/latex names themselves already indicate their qualities? If so, please clarify.

The website Brooklyn Bedding has a comment that the average 100lb-110lb person would be better of with a soft level of firmness. Is that true for a side sleeper with similar weight as well ?

Regarding the Alexander SignatureMattress, the owner states that although their name is not listed under Certi-Pur US and Oeko Tex yet, they are on the way. Since Phoenix have such high respect for these two brands, Nest Bedding and BB, can you please give me a link to show the customers’ feedbacks on their mattress quality, shipping and return service if possible for reference, although you cautioned us not to rely on others’ reviews to make a decision. However I think that will help.

Besides these two brands, would you suggest any other memory/latex foam mattresses that are certified for their components and and worth a try for first time mattress buyers?

Thank you everyone.

Hi Anh,

With memory foam or polyfoam density is the most important factor in the durability of the foam but with latex, density is a measure of its softness/firmness not it’s durability. The different types and blends of latex will have different properties and a different “feel” but all latex is a very durable material unlike polyfoam and memory foam where lower density versions can be a weak link in the mattress (see the foam quality/durability guidelines here). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Based on “averages” it would probably be correct yes but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

A forum search on Brooklyn Bedding (you can just click the link) will bring up several thousand posts that mention them although many of them will be about the mattresses they used to carry on their site before they launched their new BestMattressEver. A forum search on Nest Bedding (you can just click the link as well) will also bring up some forum feedback about them as well.

Having said that (and as you mentioned) I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The only reliable way to assess the quality and durability of a mattress is by knowing the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it.

I don’t make specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options along with “how” to choose and how and why to avoid the worst ones or act as a fact check or answer specific questions you may have along the way but only you can decide which specific mattress, company, or manufacturer to choose.

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Once you reach step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The optional online step in the tutorial also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online that I believe all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They include many different types of mattresses and many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would all be well worth considering.

The optional online step also includes this link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of and this link to a list of the many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well and a link to posts #1 and #2 in this topic that discusses all the current online “simplified choice” mattresses (including the Love Bed and the BestMattressEver).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I truly appreciate it.

Reading through the materials on your website mostly and some others, my preference would lay in a bed with a mix of latex and memory foam.

For latex, I understand if certified under Oeko Tex, there should be minimal harm in the chemicals released, although I am sensitive to chemicals smell alike. I so have a general assumption that latex is not responsive to touch and might pressure against your body with gravity. Although there is natural Talalay latex that is softer and might adapt better to body weight.

For memory foam, it can be softened with heat over time and may cause sinking feeling, but it gives the hugging comfot (?) better than latex?

I have read through some threads about Essentia and their false marketing campaign, but I just want to ask: if it’s true, will their combined latex foam create a better support and comfort for sleepers? Is that we’re trying to achieve with layers of latex over layers of (above 4lb) memory foam?

So I am still woven around the Brooklyn Bedding with Best-mattress-ever and the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex of Nest Bedding. For the Kiss Matress, I couldn’t find their specific layers’ details. So far, as collected, and you’d already given out in other pages, the details:

Brooklyn Bedding BME:
10.5" total
quilted cover
2" Talalay blended latex , Soft is 19 ILD and Medium is 28 ILD
2" Dunlop synthetic latex, C2 type
6.5" convoluted polyfoam of 2lb
Woven silica fire retardant
Ccerti-Pur US

Nest Bedding Alexander Signature:
12’ total for Soft
quilted cover
2" convoluted talalay latex, not sure about ILD, still asking
2" 4lb gel foam
8" 1.8 lb foam base

12" total for Medium
2" gel foam 4lb
2" 4lb visco foam (is it like memory foam?)
8" 1.8 lb foam base

Kiss Mattress:
10" total
Talalay latex 20ILD
foam 4lb
base 2lb

So, how would 2" Talalay latex + 2" Dunlop latex compare to 2" Talalay latex + 2" 4lb gel foam? Since the Talalay latex is not natural, the manufacturing cost is not expensive. I don’t know how they feel though.

For Kiss mattress, they don’t specify how thick each layer is, but it’s kinda similar to the Alexander as a shorter version?

I had already read through the Love Bed in Nest Bedding because of the lower price, with 3" of latex (not specify which type) and 6" of 2lb foam, it’s kinda similar to Brooklyn BME?

So I know I don’t want to spend too much money on the mattress, but the quality and safety have to be assured above all else, and elimination of all animal products used in the mattress take me towards the combination that I am presenting to you today.

Any suggestion/guidance for my next step? Thank you so much again, just like everyone else, I’m grateful to have your help. My local area is Houston, Texas, if you do have any suggestion for a try-out mattress outlet.

Thanks again and looks forward to hearing from everyone.

As a quick note, is it more convenient, economical wise and personal preference wise to buy latex layers to build on our own? What do you think?

Hi Anh,

Hopefully this is based on some personal testing on mattresses rather than just “theory” and of course the type of materials in a mattress will have little to do with whether a specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP because this would depend on the specific design of the mattress much more than the type of materials inside it but a combination of memory foam and latex is certainly a material combination that some people like and tend to prefer (although others will tend to have different preferences).

There is more about the different testing certifications that are used for foam materials in post #2 here. While any material can be Oeko-Tex certified it’s more commonly seen with latex while Certi-Pur is more commonly seen with memory foam and polyfoam.

Oeko-Tex and Eco-Institut and Certi-Pur all test for harmful substances and VOC’s within the limits of their testing protocols although it’s possible that a particular person that is very sensitive can still be sensitive to some materials that are certified. Anecdotally this would be more common with memory foam than with other foam materials.

There is also more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how natural is natural enough for me” or “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can make more “fact based” choices on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues can be complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Your assumption here is very wrong because latex is a very responsive, resilient, and point elastic material (it contours to the shape of the body and relieves pressure very well). All types and blends of latex also come in a very wide range of firmness levels from ultra plush to ultra firm.

There are hundreds of different types of memory foam that each have different properties but in very general terms they are all a temperature sensitive and slow response material. There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article and there is more about the range of different properties that can vary between different types of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here. There is also more about how memory foam compares to latex in post #2 here but the best way to know how they feel and compare for you will be based on your own actual testing and personal experience.

No … the type of materials in a mattress is just a personal preference. Regardless of the type of materials in a mattress … the specific design of the mattress is what will determine whether it would be a good match for any particular person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you will be when you sleep on it.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

[quote]So I am still woven around the Brooklyn Bedding with Best-mattress-ever and the Alexander Signature of Nest Bedding. For the Kiss Matress, I couldn’t find their specific layers’ details. So far, as collected, and you’d already given out in other pages, the details:

Brooklyn Bedding BME:
10.5" total
quilted cover
2" Talalay blended latex , Soft is 19 ILD and Medium is 28 ILD
2" Dunlop synthetic latex, C2 type
6.5" convoluted polyfoam of 2lb
Woven silica fire retardant
Ccerti-Pur US

Nest Bedding Alexander Signature:
12’ total for Soft
quilted cover
2" convoluted talalay latex, not sure about ILD, still asking
2" 4lb gel foam
8" 1.8 lb foam base

12" total for Medium
2" gel foam 4lb
2" 4lb visco foam (is it like memory foam?)
8" 1.8 lb foam base

Kiss Mattress:
10" total
Talalay latex 20ILD
foam 4lb
base 2lb

So, how would 2" Talalay latex + 2" Dunlop latex compare to 2" Talalay latex + 2" 4lb gel foam? Since the Talalay latex is not natural, the manufacturing cost is not expensive. I don’t know how they feel though.[/quote]

NOTE: The Nest Bedding Alexander Select has a new design that now uses a combination of 4 or 5 lb memory foams in the top two comfort layers vs the old design that used Talalay latex in the top layer of their firm and soft option.

The simple question first … visco foam, viscoelastic foam, and memory foam are all different terms used for the same type of slow response and temperature sensitive foam. Gel memory foam is also a type of memory foam that has various types of gel added to the memory foam formulation.

I would always keep in mind that I can certainly speak to the quality and durability of different types of materials but that the first rule of mattresses is that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and your experience on any specific mattress may be very different from someone else and it’s not possible to predict how a complex combination of specs and materials will feel to you in “real life”

ILD is also only one of several specs that makes one material feel softer or firmer than another (see post #4 here) and the ILD of different materials or different types and blends of latex also aren’t directly comparable to each other so putting too much focus on ILD alone can often be more misleading than helpful.

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you … I would tend to avoid using complex specs to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you and focus more on your own actual testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and/or personal experience. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on a single spec that may not be a relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”.

The specs of the Kiss Mattress are listed in post #2 here.

You can read more about the quality/durability specs that I would tend to suggest in different weight ranges in post #4 here. All of these mattresses use good quality materials and there would be no weak links in any of them for most weight ranges. For higher weight ranges (more than about the lower 200’s or so) I would tend to reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam and I would tend to look for polyfoam base layers that are in the 2 lb range or higher. Any type or blend of latex would be suitable for any weight range in a suitable firmness level.

The links I included in my last reply would be the best “guidance” I can provide about “how” to choose but once again I would always keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattresses is that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on any specific mattress or combination of materials.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Houston area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. Lots of things to contemplate on, I’ll take my time

Mr. Phoenix,

Would you by any chance know the specs pf the Arria mattress made by Organic Mattress OMI (Organicpedic) Naturals?

Thank you very much as always!

Hi Anh,

I only know what is listed on their site here. I believe that all the latex layers are 100% natural Dunlop which is a high quality and durable material but I would make some very careful “value” comparisons because they are in a significantly higher budget range than other similar latex mattresses that use the same quality materials and there would need to be a VERY compelling reason that provided real life benefits that were significant enough to justify the price for me to consider a latex mattress in this budget range. I don’t believe that Organicpedic provides any ILD information about their latex but knowing the ILD of the layers isn’t particularly important anyway because it won’t provide any meaningful information about how the mattress will feel to you.

OMI or a knowledgeable retailer that sells them would be the best source of more detailed information about the specifics of their mattresses other than what they list on their site.

Phoenix

:slight_smile: thank you Mr. Phoenix. I also think their mattresses are in very high budget range as well. I’m just curious about this mattress, and try to see if I could learn anything about it for comparison to other mattresses that I tried. Not sure if the company will disclose their specs but I will try.

You’re excellent in responding to question in the fastest timely manner. Thank you.