New Alexander Hybrid Mattress from Nest Bedding

I saw that Nest has launched a new version of the Alexander mattress that uses pocketed coils instead of a base foam. I am wondering what your thoughts are on it. They tout the new copper infused memory foam although I wonder how much benefit it would have with 1.5" of polyfoam over it. Based on their description this looks to be a very soft mattress, not surprising given its 6" of memory foam with 1.5" of poly foam on top. Do you have any thoughts on this design vs the original all foam Alexander?

I am finally back looking at mattresses again after my ill-fated experience with the BBBME that never fully expanded and in soft didn’t offer enough support for me, plus I determined that memory foam is a better fit for me than latex. So this looks intriguing but I again have the worry this might be too soft.

Hi zexpress,

Joe emailed me a few days ago to let me know he was launching their new memory foam/pocket coil hybrid but with the holidays I haven’t had the chance to talk with him yet about it and I don’t know the density of the copper infused memory foam so I really can’t make any meaningful comments about it yet in terms of durability.

They also have their honest beds here which are two sided mattress that offer different firmness levels on each side of the mattress with a choice of either memory foam or latex on top of the pocket coils.

Pocket coil mattress are often a good choice for those that don’t do as well on an all foam mattress or that prefer the more familiar feel of a pocket coil or innerspring mattress.

Copper itself is a very thermal conductive material so it would make sense that copper fiber infused memory foam (or other types of more advanced thermally conductive materials such as graphite) would be a little more effective than the gel that is more commonly used but it would also depend on the amount of copper that was in the memory foam.

In very general terms … gel and/or other thermal conductive or phase change materials can have “some effect” on on the sleeping temperature of a particular material but how much of an effect they will have and how long the effect will last will depend on the specific formulation of the material and on the “combined effect” of all the other materials and components of the sleeping system including your sheets, mattress protector, and bedding. Many thermal conductive or phase change materials tend to have a more temporary effect when you first go to sleep at night or over the first part of the night than they will over the entire course of the night.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep your wife in a comfortable temperature range.

Quilting foam is generally very open celled and breathable so some of the heat from your body would certainly “reach” the memory foam underneath it and with the copper infused latex and the pocket coils (which are more breathable than a foam core) most people would probably sleep in a comfortable temperature range on this mattress but I would also keep in mind that and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with.

The only way to know for sure whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP or whether it will keep you in a comfortable temperature range will be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it but Nest Bedding has a great return policy so you can try it out with little risk other than the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning/donating it should that become necessary.

They rate the mattress as a “7” so it would be on the softer side but I don’t know how it compares to the other mattresses you’ve tried but I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

While your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or in terms of temperature regulation … Nest Bedding also has a great return policy so you can try it out with little risk other than the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning/donating it should that become necessary.

Phoenix

Hi zexpress,

I just talked with Joe (the owner of Nest Bedding) and he confirmed that the copper infused memory foam is 4 lb density so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be any cause for concern in terms of durability for those that are in more average weight ranges. I would just be cautious with 4 lb memory foam for those that are in higher weight ranges (mid 200’s or higher).

He also mentioned that they have had some great feedback from their customers regarding temperature regulation as well so if you are confident that the mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Just wanted to update that I took the plunge and ordered the Alexander Hybrid which arrived today. I will admit I was a bit nervous as the price was really at the upper level of my price range and I also am especially cautious as many of their website mattress reviews look to be fake (too many are Verified Reviewer and not Verified Buyer). Anyway I only had a few minutes with it before I had to get back to work but my initial thoughts are positive.

1. There was virtually no chemical smell at all which was nice. There was definitely a smell when I ordered the #BBME so was surprised there was almost none with this one that has 6" of memory foam.
  2. I can already tell there is much better support for me than the soft #BBME although I will need to actually sleep on it to confirm but so far it feels like a good combo of plushness with support.
  3. Edge support is very good, unlike the #BBME I didn’t feel like I was going to be ejected from the mattress if I slept at the edge

That’s all I have for now. I will update again in a few days.

Hi zexpress,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any additional comments and feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Just wanted to post a follow up as I have now slept on the Nest Hybrid for a few nights.

First I can say I was really nervous the first night as it felt way too soft at first however after a couple days it firmed up quite a bit, I guess it took a couple days to fully expand. I do worry that it might be slightly softer than I would prefer although it’s still way better than my old Comforpedic which I feel is way too soft.

I am not a fan of the quilted top layer at all. The quilting indentations seem to always be where my hips, elbows, or knees end up basically making the whole layer more annoying than useful. If it were maybe half an inch of quilting I wouldn’t mind it as much but at 1.5" it often puts my body into weird and uncomfortable positions. If I do decide to return the mattress this is likely to be my top reason.

Surprisingly the mattress sleeps slightly warm. Nowhere near as bad as my old bed but warmer then some other gel memory foam mattresses I have slept on. Not sure if this is from the thick quilting or the fact the mattress is a bit softer so I sink in more but it’s a bit disappointing given the copper infused memory foam being talked about as some amazing new technology.

On the positive front the edge support is fantastic, Nest really did a great job with this. I can sleep right at the edge and I feel fully supported. The pocketed coils add just a touch of bounce to the mattress as well which I like and even with tons of foam above it make moving around pretty easy.

Overall I am not upset with my purchase but I am not blown away either. Given this mattress was at the very upper range of my budget I was kinda hoping I would be but I don’t hate it either. I am actually pretty sure if Nest offered this mattress as a flat top without the quilting I would like it a lot more but sadly they do not… Anyway I have no issues giving it another few weeks and maybe by then I will feel differently.

Hi zexpress,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you probably know there will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress and It can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first few weeks.

All the layers and components of a mattress will affect the feel and performance of all the other layers and components both above and below it and the mattress as a whole so what you feel on a mattress is a combination of all the layers and components … not just a single layer. The cover and any quilting layer can certainly affect how a mattress feels but this would be a preference choice and there are many people that much prefer the “feel” of sleeping on a more resilient material like the quilting foam and there are others that tend top prefer sleeping more directly on the memory foam itself.

Of course this is the reason that the return policy can be an important part of the “value” of an online purchase. When you are purchasing an online mattress you don’t generally have the option of making side by side comparisons with other mattresses so you will generally find that any specific mattress may be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet.

While the only reliable way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual sleeping experience … for those where the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match (however they may experience or define this) then a good return policy lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying the mattress or returning/donating it (should that become necessary) and starting all over again with choosing another mattress that will hopefully be a better “match” for you.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here.

In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses. Memory foam in general also tends to sleep warmer for some people than other types of foam (such as polyfoam or latex) and while thermal conductive materials (such as some types of gel or copper) or phase change materials can provide a temporary benefit when you first go to sleep at night … once temperatures equalize the temperature regulating benefits don’t tend to last over the course of the night. There is more about some of the ways that different manufacturers are using to cool down memory foam in post #6 here but you will always find that some people tend to sleep warmer on mattresses that most people would be fine with in terms of temperature regulation.

I’m looking forward to any other comments or updates you have the chance to share once you’ve been sleeping on your mattress for a few weeks.

Phoenix

I just unpacked my hybrid yesterday. Some quick impressions. Nest bedding needs to do a better job on packaging. The box had a tear which also ripped open the plastic packing, this resulted in some fraying & slight discoloration on the bottom of the mattress. Nest bedding was prompt in their responses to this issue, but didn’t consider it a problem. There is a definite odor upon unwrapping & was advised to air it out for at least 24 hours. Aesthecially, it’s a nice looking mattress, however there are a lot of loose threads & the piping which is around one section of the mattress doesn’t align properly, with one section higher than the other. The real test is yet to come, will start sleeping on it tonight & will report my experiences with it

Interesting. I didn’t have any of those issues as mine had no smell that I noticed nor any obvious quality issues. I still think mine is too soft for me but since I have 101 nights I am gonna give it at least a month or two before I decide. I really wish they had firmness options like they do on the non-hybrid model as while for me it’s a touch too soft I had someone else sleep on it and they complained the next morning about my too soft mattress.

The smell issue I was assured came from the plastic wrapping, not necessarily from the materials.This is my first time ordering a mattress online. I originally thought Leesa, though many complained that it was too firm. Then I looked at Brooklyn Bedding, but read that the edge support was an issue, & I am a side sleeper who sleeps on the edge. Decided on nest bedding finally, but frankly somewhat disappointed with as you put it the quality control. For a higher end mattress it shoudn’t have had uneven seams. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be too soft, as you seem to experiencing. I realize it’s all very subjective, difficult to find the right balance between proper support & comfort.

Hi Loiroi,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial feedback.

Some loose threads from tape edging or quilting process aren’t unusual at all and aren’t a quality control issue. In most cases you can safely just cut them off.

As they mentioned … any initial smell is usually a side effect of a compressed mattress being wrapped in plastic (which can both release and concentrate the smell) and will generally dissipate very quickly.

Their shipping boxes and wrapping would be “standard” for the industry. The packaging would be done by the manufacturer (not the retailer). Unfortunately it’s not unusual that a courier company can damage the packaging with rough handling but it would be very unusual that the mattress itself would be damaged. Sometimes it seem like couriers have a unique ability to damage mattress shipping boxes but the compressed mattress is almost always fine inside the thick layers of plastic.

It’s also not unusual that the tape edges would be a little out of alignment because of the compression and shipping process but if this doesn’t correct itself over the first few days once the mattress has completely decompressed and you have slept on it for a bit then a little bit of manual alignment should correct it.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the welcome. I will certainly keep you updated on my impressions of this mattress. I do hope these seams align themselves, they are at the base right above the mattress tag.

Hi Loiroi,

This is most likely a result of some shifting in the cover during the compression and packaging process and should be fairly simple to realign if it’s necessary … although it won’t affect the feel or performance of the mattress.

Phoenix

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. It took just over two days for mine to fully expand and even out. Also based on my experience it will take a few days for it to fully firm up to get the idea of how firm the mattress will be. Mine was especially soft the first couple nights but has been firmer since. This was the case with my returned #BBBME as well.

I realize this was only the first night, but I thought to offer my initial impression. This is definitely a soft mattress. I found myself sinking in more particularly around the shoulders & hip areas. As I said I’m a side sleeper, so I tend to press down in those area. As for sitting up, while reading in bed, some sink age in the buttocks area. It wasn’t a bad first night, but wondering if the signature select would have been a better choice. zexpress, I’m just curious if your experience with BBME might have been different with their medium mattress. I know that when I called them initially, they had recommended medium for my sleeping needs. Also do you see any obvious construction differences between the two.

I definitely wouldn’t judge it too much on the first night as it did get a bit firmer after about 48-72 from unboxing although as stated it is still a soft mattress.

The indentations where the quilting is are really quite annoying and have probably become my biggest issue with the mattress. Sadly the Signature Select seems to have the same type of quilted cover so while I imagine it should be firmer with better support I might have the same issues with that one.

I found the BBBME to be well made although mine was built during a time where they had QC issues causing mattresses to not fully expand. I probably would have liked the medium better but I still think the lack of edge support would have been an issue for me. It should be noted that Brooklyn Bedding assembles Nest’s mattresses so it would make sense that they would have similar builds.

Anyway I hope you have better luck over the next few nights but I am already planning what to try next as I am all but certain the Hybrid is too soft for me.

Thanks for your insight, zexpress. You might want to have a look at the Feb. Issue of ConsumerReports.They did a comparsion wit Novaform Serafina Pearl Gel rated #1 for medium firm, Leesa at # 3 also medium firm, Tuft & Needle Ten at #5 & Casper #6 both firm.

Thanks! I have lately been eyeing the Bear Mattress. I like the concept of only a small amount of memory foam over high performance polyfoam. This is the design Tempurpedic went with for their old Weighless line that I really liked. I also like the idea of celliant fibers that they use for the cover. I am sure it’s not as much of a miracle fabric as they claim but the studies have been interesting.

The GhostBed is interesting too but I don’t like that they will not reveal the specs of their foams. When I asked them they claimed it was their “secret sauce” and couldn’t reveal it for competitive reasons despite the fact that their competition already does.

You certainly know you mattresses! This is my first foray into buying online. Perhaps I should have waited, Nest bedding recently opened up a store in my city, so perhaps I should have checked it out first. They have a Casper & Helix stores here as well, but I was concerned that those brands were going to be too firm for me.

Hi Loiroi,

Each person is unique and a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on. Having said that … medium would probably cover the single largest part of the bell curve that would be suitable for more people than the other two firmness levels.

The Alexander Signature Select is a memory foam mattress (memory foam over a polyfoam support core) and the Alexander Hybrid Signature Select is a pocket coil/memory foam (memory foam over a pocket coil) so they are in completely different mattress categories (see this article) and would have a different feel. They also have differences in the comfort layers (the specifics of the memory foam in all of their mattresses and firmness levels is listed on their site).

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

You can see the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the NYC area in post #2 here (including Nest Bedding’s newest store).

@ zexpress

Just for reference … Nest Bedding’s mattresses are made by several different manufacturers.

While some information can legitimately be considered to be proprietary to a manufacturer … there are many manufacturers that claim that the information you would need to make an informed choice is also somehow “proprietary” but I certainly wouldn’t agree. You can read a little more about “so called” proprietary materials and using this as a justification for not disclosing what I would consider to be essential information here and here and here.

Another manufacturer would need much more information than just knowing the quality/density of the materials in a mattress be able to duplicate it. If all they disclosed is the type and quality/density of the materials in his mattresses that can affect durability they still wouldn’t need to disclose the “comfort specs” or other information that would be the biggest part of how a mattress feels. Any manufacturer that was truly interested in “duplicating” one of their mattresses also would have no trouble buying one if they wanted to and “reverse engineering” it anyway.

I would avoid any manufacturer or retailer that either can’t or won’t provide you with the “quality specs” you need to make an informed choice and confirm the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” because this type of “blind” purchase would be much too risky and there are many manufacturers to choose from that will provide you will all the information you need to make an informed choice.

Phoenix