New Alexander Hybrid Mattress from Nest Bedding

Congrats on the new purchase eager to hear how it works out for you… It definitely sounds like from what you have liked in the past that this might be more along the lines of what you are wanting. I am now 30 days in with my Hyrbrid so will probably make a decision on what to try next relatively soon. I have always enjoyed the feel of memory foam mattresses but as a hot sleeper I have always been cautious. Looking forward to your opinions. Which model did you go with? The medium?

I’m still enjoying it, although I recently added a mattress protector and it made the mattresses noticibly firmer. Prior to that it was a medium soft. Now id say it’s firmness is medium.

Thank u so much for getting back to me. I certainly don’t remember when I was younger that buying a mattress was such a huge production !
I am going to look at the links u told me about. I am mostly a stomach sleeper and I weigh 102 lbs. I had a v flat pillow almost my whole life (same pillow since I had my son who is 30! Now and last year I bought an “Indulgence Isotonic” and I love it was v surprised. I seem to be the princess and the pea with mattress , but will continue my search. Thanks again

Hi
Thanks for your reply. What is a BBBME? I don’t want a foam bed. But…My sister did just get a sleep number bed and she loves it. I slept over her house recently while she was away and told her I loved her bed , but I don’t need such a fancy $$$$ one , and my husband passed away so the number thing is a waste for me. Is the sleep number a foam bed ? I don’t really know. I did sleep great on it though.
I’m just going to have to pay attention before my trial time is up to my arms falling asleep. It’s just the weirdest thing .

Hi abbygrant,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

The Novosbed medium is one of several mattresses in the memory foam list that “approximates” the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and you certainly made a great quality/value choice. I hope that it turns out better for you than the other mattresses that you’ve tried.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Meri831,

It means Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver which is one of the simplified choice mattresses that are in the list I linked in my last reply. It’s a latex/polyfoam hybrid.

“Foam” is just a generic name that means a material with air bubbles inside it. It can refer to different types of materials. There are three main types of foam (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex foam) that are all different from each other and most mattresses in the industry contain some foam layers. Your Saatva mattress for example includes some memory foam and some polyfoam layers.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Sleep Number is an airbed that uses an air bladder as a support core on the bottom and then has different types and combinations of foam layers (polyfoam or memory foam) on top of the air bladder depending on the specific model.

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in general this article. While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each person’s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different … in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice for you in “real life” (outside of the many “marketing stories” that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you.

If you are committed to an airbed and you are convinced that there are no other types of mattresses that will meet your criteria then there are some other airbed options that are listed in post #3 here that may be much better quality/value choices than Sleep Number/Select Comfort.

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial which I linked in my last reply which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you would also like to include some local options in your research that you can try in person before a purchase then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I just don’t understand. I thought I was adjusting to the hybrid, plus the mattress protector seemed to make a difference. But last night was the worst & actually painful. I swapped pillows because my neck & shoulders were bothering me so much. Then the old issue of being too soft & not supportive enough around the hips occurred as well. I have to say I’m disappointed at this point, I really thought my issues were abating, but apparently not.

Hi Loiroi,

I would be a little cautious about paying too much attention to a single night’s experience which can be an anomaly and pay more attention to “patterns” instead. Everyone can sleep poorly sometimes on a mattress that they normally sleep well on for many reasons.

Having said that … if there is a clear pattern that you aren’t sleeping well and your experience is consistent and things don’t seem to be improving over time then the reasons why you aren’t sleeping well on a mattress aren’t as important as the fact itself. The goal of the trial period is so that you can try a mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom to find out how well you sleep on a mattress and if it becomes clear that a mattress isn’t a “good enough” match for you in terms of PPP then you can just exchange or donate/return it. Each person is unique and a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may not be suitable for someone else to sleep on and the only way to really know for certain is based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your reassuring & thoughtful words. I wanted the hybrid to be the “right” choice. From reading other forum responses, I realize that it’s a process that might involve choosing & returning more than one mattress. I will continue to give this mattress a try, but it’s been frustrating of late.

My wife and I have been sleeping on the Nest Alexander Hybrid for a little over a month now, and we both really like it. This was in fact our 3rd bed in a box. We first tried the Leesa which was to firm. Then I learned about quality aspect of mattresses on this site, and was disappointed to find out Leesa only uses 3 lb. memory foam. So it got donated to charity. We then tried the Brooklyn Bedding #BME-soft. We liked it, but in the end just didn’t provide enough support for us. (My wife and I are 160 lb & 125 lb side sleepers.)

Finally at the beginning of January we ordered the Nest Alexander Hybrid. We have finally found our sweet spot in a mattress. We’ve been sleeping on it over a month now. It provides us great support in side/back sleeping positions, but is also giving enough that it doesn’t give us any sore spots while sleeping on our sides. The quality of craftsmanship seem to be fine. Here’s a few of the qualities we like:

1. Even though it has 6" of memory foam, there is no sinking or stuck feeling. The top of the mattress is very responsive to changes in position. The 1.5" quilted cover helps in this regard I suspect.
  2. The edges of the bed are quite supportive. My wife and I sleep on a queen bed, and I tend to sleep all the way to the side of the bed at times. I can also sit on the edge just fine. (Something I couldn’t do with the Leesa or #bme.)
  3. It does not sleep hot. I don’t sleep particularly hot, but my wife does. She has not complained once about this mattress sleeping hot. (we do use bamboo sheets)
  4. We appreciate the bounce of the pocketed coils. I suppose it’s just familiarity, but it really works well for us.
  5. A few of the posts above suggested quality problems. Our bed does have a few loose threads, but there is no quality problems with this bed. Everything is aligned well, and seems to be very well made.

Unless something goes majorly wrong in the next few months, we will not be returning this mattress. I know mattresses are one of the most subjective purchases we make, but we really like the Nest Alexander Hybrid.

I ordered the Novosbed soft, which was recommended by their customer support. I received the bed yesterday, which was very quick. I slept on it last night and slept very well with no shoulder pain. My first impression was that it did have a very similar feel to my old TempurCloud Supreme. I will give an update in a few weeks.

Glad to hear the first night went well. How would you say it did on sleeping hot? Not sure if you typically have issues with that. Heat is my biggest concern of going to regular memory foam mattress vs something like the Alexander which has the quilted cover on top.

Hi chadb97,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and it’s great to hear that your third choice is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

I don’t typically have issues with sleeping hot. My husband said our old TempurCloud was very hot for him yet I only had occasional heat issues. I can give you a better assessment in a few days. I was not hot last night by any means.

Glad to see someone has found the hybrid to be working out. I still have my issues with it, & still never got a response regarding the welting misalignment, though I seem to be the only one to have gotten a mattress with quality control issues.

Zexpress, are you still in the process of whether or not to return it? Also curious as to whether or not you ever received an answer as to why your review was not accepted at their website.

[quote=“Loiroi” post=61428]Glad to see someone has found the hybrid to be working out. I still have my issues with it, & still never got a response regarding the welting misalignment, though I seem to be the only one to have gotten a mattress with quality control issues.

Zexpress, are you still in the process of whether or not to return it? Also curious as to whether or not you ever received an answer as to why your review was not accepted at their website.[/quote]

I am certainly going to return it at this point. While I don’t hate it, I don’t love it either. I haven’t started the return process yet as I have a trip to LA planned on 3 weeks and figure I can check out the Nest store and at least feel in person how the all foam Alexander feels. This way I feel I can make a fully informed decision in the event Nest offers an exchange option.

I am very tempted by the NovosBed and especially like the idea of the comfort+ top layer that can adjust the firmness. NovosBed informed me that it is a polyfoam layer so in some ways it gives it a similar construction to the all foam Alexander (foam base, two 2" layers of memory foam and polyfoam top layer) however unlike the Alexander I have a choice in using the polyfoam layer. Considering one of my biggest issues with the Hybrid is the quilted polyfoam top layer it’s nice to have it as an option versus something that is standard.

I didn’t ask Nest about the review not being posted as honestly at this point it doesn’t matter since I know eventually I am going to return the mattress. At the end of the day given their 101 night return policy they are the ones who would ultimately take a loss if someone buys a bed that is not a good fit that could have been avoided with a more well rounded batch of reviews but again this is their decision to make.

Hi zexpress,

I’m not sure why they didn’t post your review but while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

I totally agree. I didn’t make my purchase based on any reviews on their site and given their return policy I didn’t feel it mattered much as I am the only one that can make a decision for me.

Hello everyone

Thank you for all the comments in this post. I am currently debating purchasing a Nest Alexander Hybrid but am having trouble pulling the trigger b/c the online only sales. I have emailed with Joe form Nest back and forth a few times and he said I need to look here, but after reading this thread I am actually more confused than before.

I initially went to the local mattress stores and tried several out and narrowed it down to a Sealy Hybrid and a Beautyrest Black Glendale Hybrid Plush Mattress. When I was looking at the questions section on the Alexander Hybrid page it actually specifically compares the Beautyrest Black with the Alexander Hybrid. Can anyone on here actually confirm that to be true?

I fell in love with the Beautyrest but it is almost double $$$ what I intended to spend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi jasawithaJ,

I would read the comments in post #2 here if you are trying to compare any major brand mattress to another mattress (and as you can see I would never consider a Beautyrest Black mattress which uses lower quality and less durable materials than I would consider buying).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation (not email … see post #4 here) with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Because your own personal experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (or how it will compare to another mattress based on your own experience which may be very different from someone else) … the exchange/return policy (and any costs involved) can also be a much more important part of the “value” of an online purchase just in case (and in spite of the “best judgement” of everyone involved) the choice you make doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

A good exchange policy lets you test a mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk so that you can decide for yourself how you like a mattress regardless of anyone else’s experience which may be very different from your own.

Phoenix