New and Confused from Queen to King

I am very THANKFUL to have stumbled across this awesome encyclopedia source about mattresses. I have been reading for the past couple hours as advised on the site. I also try some forum searches, but I need the feedback of the experienced so I am posting my stats… I am 143 pounds side/back sleeper that sleeps HOT, I tend to get numb hands when I sleep on my side and have some neck issues that need further medical investigation. I thought I liked firm, but currently borrowing a firm mattress and it is killing me with back pain when I sleep on my back. I need no motion if possible and chemical free. My husband is 330 pounds and a side sleeper, his arms fall asleep due to his weight he thinks, he likes a softer mattress and does make many trips to the bathroom so he sits up and regroups on the edge of the bed for a couple minutes before he goes to the bathroom, so edge support could be helpful. He also complains he is hot all night long. He is out of town for a couple weeks and I want to upgrade to a king bed while he gone. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions! Thank you!

Hi jecloth.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you are finding our resources useful and I’d be happy to help point you in a direction that may help you find a more suitable mattress for you and your husband.

First, I’d like to address the weight differential between you and your husband. I have to say upfront that, because of the disparity in both preference and durability needs per your BMIs, a split-configuration is likely the only way you’re going to find a single mattress that works for you both.

I’d first focus on the durability and useful life of the materials & components in your mattress. No materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components are even more important than normal.

There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy (you can just click this) will bring up many of them. Some examples include post #2 here and post #2 here and this thread.

With regards to sleeping hot, there are many factors which control the sleeping temperature of a mattress and only one of these is the foam that is used in the mattress … particularly in the upper layers.

While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation … deeper support components that allow more airflow can also have an effect and so innersprings will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress.

In addition to this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors in post #89 here.

Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

Now, back to the split configuration - this is going to be useful for you for two reasons:

1. You both get the comfort, support, and durability you want and need
  2. Total motion isolation, which is a must have for you as per your post.

Because you are also seeking a mattress that “sleeps cool” and is chemical free, my recommendation would be to seek a latex option. A number of our Trusted Members offer split configurations. Also, they are extremely knowledgable and compete with the best in the industry. If you present them with your sleeping specs, comfort/support needs, etc. they will be able to help you choose the best fit both product and ILD wise.

I would suggest checking these options out…

Arizona Premium
Sleep EZ
FloBeds
Latex Mattress Factory
Nest Bedding

It’s possible I forgot to add someone so definitely do look through our directory as well.

Regardless of which mattress you choose, it’s important that you have a detailed conversation with the knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who, and provide them with good information about your body types, sleeping styles, general preferences and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU