New Bed reality check!

Hi, I’m new to the forum and firstly would like to thank you for creating such a useful, helpful forum

We are finalizing decisions on the new bed components we will purchase. We’d like to know if anyone sees any reasons for caution or concern that we should think about with the selections below.

Mattress:
Savvy Rest Serenity queen. The mattress is comprised of three 3" Dunlop layers. One side will be Soft , Medium, Firm. The other side will be Soft, Soft, Firm.

Foundation:
Either USBOXSPRING or MATTRESSES.NET slatted knock down.

Metal frame:
Knickerbocker : The Monster™ Bed Frame - Style #KB2007

Your feed back will be appreciated.

Thanks,
pebee

Hi pebee2,

Savvy Rest makes some high quality mattresses and there are certainly no weak links in the design and they also have good options to customize the mattress both before and after a purchase. I would also make some careful “value comparisons” though because there are other similar mattresses available online that use the same or similar materials and components and have the same or more options that may be better “value” depending on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and whether you are comfortable with an online purchase. There is a list of the members of the site that sell online in post #21 here and many of them make latex mattresses with a wide range of designs, options, types of latex, prices, and return or exchange options and some of these are very similar in design, materials, and options to the Savvy Rest.

Both of these have gaps between the slats of less than 3" and would be good options and are suitable for an all latex mattress.

This is a very strong frame and would also make a good choice but there are some comments in post #1 here that may be worth considering. I mentioned this to one of the customer service reps at http://www.thesleepshop.com/store/pc/The-Monster-Bed-Frame-p1039.htm and they hadn’t heard any complaints but they were also curious so over the course of the next week or so they plan to post a video with their comments about the Monster frame and let me know if they think the lower center beam could be an issue.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. As recommended, we’ll research the online sites and look for additional info about the frame to be posted. I’ll also review the forum for recommended frames from other manufacturers.

Thanks again,
Pebee

Hi pebee2,

Post #10 here may be helpful.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

This is just a quick follow up to our previous posts…
We’ve decided to get a Queen size Latex Mattress from SleepEZ, as it appears to be of very similar quality and less costly than Savvy Rest.

Foundation, will also buy a KD from SleepEZ since it appears to be identical to USBoxspring and the same cost.

Frame: I’m still interested in the Knickerbocker Monster. I’m sure it is a good,strong frame. but there is a loose end that I wanted to check with you first. In our previous post you were kind enough to mention that you had spoken to a rep at the Sleepshop about the Knickerbocker Monster frame who told you " they plan to post a video with their comments about the Monster frame and let me know if they think the lower center beam could be an issue". I looked at their site but see no video yet. Is there any compelling reason in your mind that I should reconsider ordering that frame?

Many thanks,
Pebee2

Hi pebee2,

Yes … it’s exactly the same foundation.

I talked with the Sleep Shop and they have been so busy that they haven’t had a chance to make the video yet but they did confirm that they have had no complaints about the frame. They also gave me their contact with Knickerbocker and I talked with Michael there and he also told me that they haven’t had any complaints. Almost all frames aren’t perfectly flush in the load bearing surfaces and any bolt heads would go into the wood so this wouldn’t affect sagging in the foundation. They also said that their embrace foundation (see the video here) is perhaps the only one that has a completely flush support surface and is even stronger than the monster so for those who were at all concerned then this would make a good choice.

Overall … I don’t think it would be a concern for me and I think that the Monster would make a very strong and suitable choice.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Agreed, the wood foundation will probably conform to the frame bolts after a while, so like you, I am not concerned. If the bolts really did cause an issue, people would heave complained about it for years. Also if the gap caused by bolts was big enough to cause a wobble or sag, it would be a simple thing to shave a bit of wood off of the foundation where the bolts make contact .

On another note, today we received some samples of natural talalay and natural dunlop from various mattress sellers. In your experience should there be any odor associated with either type of natural latex?

pebee2

Hi pebee2,

It varies to some degree by manufacturer depending on the specifics of their compounding formula but they each tend to have their own type of smell. There is more about the “typical” smell of Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #2 here.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either synthetic, blended, or natural in Talalay or Dunlop) has been tested by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s so the smell isn’t harmful.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Finally, after trying many latex mattress layer configurations and speaking with various sellers our decision process is nearly done. The only open issue we have is to choose one of the layers on my side of a split king.

Wife’s side of the bed will be a top layer of talalay over 2 layers of dunlop.

At 5’ 10" , and 180 pounds I have felt most comfortable on 3 layers of dunlop (soft, med., firm), but in order to make a level mattress surface, a layer of talalay must be introduced on my side, replacing one of the dunlop layers. We spoke to different manufactures about which layer to replace, and what firmness to use. The most common recommendation from them is to use a top layer of medium talalay, over medium dunlop then firm dunlop. I went out and tried that configuration and felt that my hips sank in a bit too far.

We called back some of the manufacturers and explained the above scenario. One suggestion was made to use firm talalay instead of medium for the top layer.

Other than my going out testing that configuration, and understanding that the feel will be different from soft dunlop, do you have any thoughts about the above suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Pebee2

Hi peebee2,

That probably would have been my suggestion as well (and I think most people’s) because one step up in firmness level for Talalay would help compensate for the fact that in the same ILD Talalay would normally feel softer.

I would keep in mind that how much it “feels like” you sink in may be connected to the point elasticity of latex vs other types of foam or what you are used to and this “feeling” is not uncommon with latex even though you may still be in good alignment. It’s quite possible that this is just something that is part of the adjustment period for latex although of course it’s also possible that you are out of alignment but that’s less likely since “medium” Talalay would usually be a little firmer than “soft” Dunlop (depending on the specific ILD’s of each layer you are comparing since “word” ratings can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer).

While it may work well for you … based on “averages” a firm Talalay layer on top of a mattress would be firmer than most (but not all) people would be comfortable with if they sleep on their side.

While it’s generally a better idea to keep the type of latex in each layer the same (especially the top layer) so that the transition from one side to the other isn’t as noticeable (the “feel” and response of Talalay vs Dunlop is different outside of any differences in firmness) … it may be worth talking to Shawn about using X-Firm Talalay on the bottom (where it would have the least effect on the “feel”) and then using medium and soft Dunlop on top of this so that the top two layers are closer to what you preferred in your testing. He will have more experience than I do about the tradeoffs involved when the type of latex isn’t the same in each layer so you can decide if you are comfortable with trying this and whether the tradeoffs are worth it to you.

I would also keep in mind that if you do go with medium Talalay then you would still have the option to exchange layers if it doesn’t work out as well as you hope and sometimes this can be part of the “process” of choosing a component system so you can use your longer term sleeping experience to decide on your final configuration.

Phoenix